Start by marking “The Wedding Dress” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Dress

The Wedding Dress

Carrie Young's widely acclaimed Nothing To Do But Stay was a powerful and moving testament to her mother, who, at age twenty-five, set out for the Western North Dakota prairies to homestead 160 acres alone.  Now, with The Wedding Dress, this extraordinary author goes back to the same time and place to bring us seven unforgettable tales of fiction spanning the century from ...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Laurel (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Dress

Book Concierge
This is a collection of short stories set primarily during the early part of the 20th century to shortly after World War II. Young explores the lives of the people of Little Butte, North Dakota, who are mostly Norwegian immigrants (or descended from them).

In the title story, she follows the story of a particularly beautiful and detailed wedding dress, as it is made, then stored in a trunk and finally worn by bride after bride. Young describes the joys and dreams, the sorrows and disappointments
Linda C
This collection of 7 stories deals with ordinary lives on the Dakota plains from the turn of the century to the early 1980s. In some, Young uses a fictional version of her young self as narrator; telling the tale as if it were a recalled memory. Maybe some are based on old tales or snippets from actual events that she re-imagined or fleshed out. The characters are all homesteaders and many of them from Norway or of Norwegian descent. Each story leads us through an event or a life to a point wher ...more
Judy
Oct 03, 2016 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short stories
Jillaire
Apr 23, 2014 Jillaire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up for free somewhere. I was drawn to it because I love stories of the western pioneers. This collection of short stories is all about homesteaders and their descendants on the Dakota plains, ranging from the early years of settlement and through the Dustbowl and beyond. While each story was independent of the others, almost all the characters shared a Norwegian ancestry and the same simple, hard-working characteristics that gave the collection a cohesive feel.

I'm not one to u
Patti
Jul 29, 2014 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Young invites you to sit at her kitchen table and sip a cup of coffee while tales are told of Norwegian immigrants surviving the Dust Bowl in cold, barren North Dakota. Most of the stories are from the perspective of an observer or third person, giving you the feeling of family members sharing tales of your great-great grandmother or grandfather. Each unique story contains a bit of tragedy mixed with humor and love, reminding us of the human characteristic we all share while gaining respe ...more
Apzmarshl
Jun 20, 2010 Apzmarshl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Karen Snook
A compilation of short stories detailing life in the early 1900's on the plains of North Dakota. The fictional stories feel real. Some of them give the sense of ghost stories where you are just waiting for the creepy ending which never comes. The stories are sweet, engaging, and poignant. The characters are good, solid, moral people. Endings were not always happy but the morality always shined through.
Ellen
Aug 15, 2010 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Carrie Young detailing her upbringing in the Midwest. This one is better than the first one. I should have read these books a long time ago, but I am glad they entered my life when they did. It is nice to escape into the 1800's pioneer world. I strongly craved potato salad after reading this book.
Sherri
Dec 26, 2011 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of quaint short-stories about Norwegian women and men who homesteaded in North Dakota.

I think the "Wedding Dress" title is a little ambiguous and could be called something else.

Just like you'd be sitting around either listening or telling stories.
Linda
Jul 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting small book. The short stories are related by the location. The stories are interesting if you like stories about living on the plains and farming.

I found this book in the church library and it has not seen very much attention!!
Anne
Feb 18, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the stories of the settlers in the Midwest. It's one of my favorite reads.
Margaret Drake
Jan 17, 2016 Margaret Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful short stories about women on the Dakota Plains.
Dawn
Nov 13, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories about early 1900's North Dakota. So tales of hardship, enduring and hope.
Claudia Mundell
Loved meeting the people on these pages. Stories reminded me of Willa Cather's own stories about prairie life in the past.
Vikki
May 09, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are short, pioneer stories from the Dakota Plains. Great stories. I really like this author.
Joy
Jun 10, 2008 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, book-club
Fun short stories with a life lesson to be learned. Interesting characters with lives full of struggles.
Tary
Dec 28, 2008 Tary rated it really liked it
North Dakota stories of fiction about ordinary lives, spans the 20th century. Liked it.
Tara
Oct 05, 2011 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
BORING.. thank goodness it was a short book
Sharon Zink
Aug 21, 2016 Sharon Zink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is a series of autobiographical stories that took place in the Dakotas and Minnesota in the 1930's. They are well-written stories of everyday experiences, very interesting, worth the read.
Sandy
Dec 18, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
A small collection of short stories that take place on the Dakota plains during the early 1900's. Interesting, quick read.
Emy
Apr 14, 2009 Emy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Short stories about homesteaders in North Dakota, mostly women from Norway. Quirky and entertaining stories, easy read.
Judy
May 16, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly delightful! Short stories about life on the Plains -- charming! I will have to find and re-read "Nothing to Do But Stay." This one is good!
Cheryl
Jan 16, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories!
Leann
Apr 06, 2010 Leann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The stories were touching.
Linda
Aug 10, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book with short stories, loved them. I always enjoy reading about history on the Dakota plains. these stories are interesting and heartwarming.
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Susan E
Susan E rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Reina Williams
Reina Williams rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Mary Nelson
Mary Nelson rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2008
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Romantic Obsessions and Humiliations of Annie Sehlmeier
  • Albert Einstein: Young Thinker
  • Land of the Burnt Thigh
  • Her Folly (A Gentleman's Daughter #2)
  • Thomas Edison: Young Inventor
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey