Start by marking “The Wedding Dress” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Dress

The Wedding Dress

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Carrie Young's widely acclaimed Nothing To Do But Stay was a powerful and moving testament to her mother, who, at age twenty-five, set out for the Western North Dakota prairies to homestead 160 acres alone.Now, with The Wedding Dress, this extraordinary author goes back to the same time and place to bring us seven unforgettable tales of fiction spanning the century from it...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Laurel (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Dress

Jillaire
I picked this book up for free somewhere. I was drawn to it because I love stories of the western pioneers. This collection of short stories is all about homesteaders and their descendants on the Dakota plains, ranging from the early years of settlement and through the Dustbowl and beyond. While each story was independent of the others, almost all the characters shared a Norwegian ancestry and the same simple, hard-working characteristics that gave the collection a cohesive feel.

I'm not one to u...more
Apzmarshl
Jun 20, 2010 Apzmarshl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Karen Snook
A compilation of short stories detailing life in the early 1900's on the plains of North Dakota. The fictional stories feel real. Some of them give the sense of ghost stories where you are just waiting for the creepy ending which never comes. The stories are sweet, engaging, and poignant. The characters are good, solid, moral people. Endings were not always happy but the morality always shined through.
Ellen
This is the second book by Carrie Young detailing her upbringing in the Midwest. This one is better than the first one. I should have read these books a long time ago, but I am glad they entered my life when they did. It is nice to escape into the 1800's pioneer world. I strongly craved potato salad after reading this book.
Sherri
Collection of quaint short-stories about Norwegian women and men who homesteaded in North Dakota.

I think the "Wedding Dress" title is a little ambiguous and could be called something else.

Just like you'd be sitting around either listening or telling stories.
Linda
Interesting small book. The short stories are related by the location. The stories are interesting if you like stories about living on the plains and farming.

I found this book in the church library and it has not seen very much attention!!
Emy
I really enjoyed this. Short stories about homesteaders in North Dakota, mostly women from Norway. Quirky and entertaining stories, easy read.
Lynn A. Nysse
I read this book in one sitting.

A wonderful book of Dakota plains stories by Carrie Young.

Do check out the book from the local library.
Judy
Perfectly delightful! Short stories about life on the Plains -- charming! I will have to find and re-read "Nothing to Do But Stay." This one is good!
Linda
Short book with short stories, loved them. I always enjoy reading about history on the Dakota plains. these stories are interesting and heartwarming.
Sandy
A small collection of short stories that take place on the Dakota plains during the early 1900's. Interesting, quick read.
Vikki
These are short, pioneer stories from the Dakota Plains. Great stories. I really like this author.
Joy
Fun short stories with a life lesson to be learned. Interesting characters with lives full of struggles.
Dawn
Short stories about early 1900's North Dakota. So tales of hardship, enduring and hope.
Tary
North Dakota stories of fiction about ordinary lives, spans the 20th century. Liked it.
Anne
I loved the stories of the settlers in the Midwest. It's one of my favorite reads.
Shauna
Short stories about pioneer life in the Dakotas. Entertaining.
Leann
I really enjoyed this book. The stories were touching.
Tara
BORING.. thank goodness it was a short book
JoDean
Great short stories. Some comical, some tragic.
Karen
more of ND early settlers
Wren
Wren added it
Aug 30, 2014
Teri Ashley
Teri Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nothing to Do but Stay: My Pioneer Mother Prairie Cooks: Glorified Rice, Three-Day Buns, and Other Reminiscences (Bur Oak Book) Wedding Dress and Other Short Stories Green Broke My Body to You