Start by marking “Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)

Dealing in Murder (Molly Doyle #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Elizabeth Porter was a top-of-the-line Manhattan antiques dealer until her ex-husband and his lover's flagrantly criminal scam left her reputation in tatters. Now, using a new name, Molly Doyle, she's starting over a continent away in a rundown antiques shop in cozy Carmel, California. Molly is determined to make the best of it. But the early antiques bird sometimes gets m ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Dealing in Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing in Murder

Jodi Reeves
Good book. Picked it up at a thrift store, and had to get the rest of the titles for the series. I enjoyed it, it kept me guessing, and looks like we might get a romance in the next book.
Rhonda
i'd give this a 3 1/2 if that were possible. i did enjoy the story and learned about the antique/art biz. the only real issue i had was the fact that molly was so quick to get furious. she was always throwing up her arms and even when she was holding back, she was seething inside. most of the time, i'd imagine a feeling of frustration or mild irritation would have sufficed, but she seemed to go from 0 to 60 in no time flat. she had mellowed by the end, and amusingly, she even commented that she ...more
Eunira
This is the debut of a series. Molly is a spunky and fun heroine, down on her luck after her ex-husband's antiques fraud is exposed. Given the opportunity to start again at the bottom of the trade, she rolls up her sleeves and starts wheeling and dealing "merch" and exploring garage and estate sales for the inventory she'll need to rebuild her reputation. Stumbling into a murder, she meets an abrasive police chief, who will surely become constant in the next books.
Gloria Mccracken
I've accidentally been reading this series backwards. This, the third I've read is actually the first in the series. Even though I knew that some of the suspicious characters were, in fact, part of the protagonists eventual circle of good friends, it was still very enjoyable and entertaining, as all of them have been. They are not easy to find and I suspect there aren't very many of them, but I've found all of them interesting and enjoyable.
Judy
I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. I just picked it up at random at the library. The characters were strong and realistic. The antique business was interesting but not overwhelming. Kind of a turn around at end because Molly's first impression of several people didn't pan out. Kept my interest. The love interest between the heroine and the chief of police was full of sparks and conflicts.
Nancy
Aug 07, 2010 Nancy added it
#1 Molly Doyle book. Carmel, antique dealer, goes to house to find key to desk she bought and woman dies in her arms. Police Chief Randall, DA Lucero, restauranteur Daria. Works for Max. Molly was accused in NY of selling fakes but was not guilty. Her husband and his lover were gulty.
Alaina Sloo
Fun, light murder mystery, part of a series set in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA, and following the sleuthing of a local antique dealer. Good window on local culture and the community.
Teresa
We read for the Mystery Book club. I'd actually give it more of a 3-1/2, but the stars don't allow for it. I thought it was a good read, just a little too long for my taste.
Joyce McKune
A nice quick read. Didn't always know who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. A good first book. Will try to find the next.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This was an interesting read. I liked the behind-the-scenes look at the antiques trade the most. The characters were fairly well-drawn.
Kristen
This is another good Molly Dolly cozy mystery dealing with antiques. The second out of 4 I believe. Good drama and suspense.
Dee
The book is set in my hometown, Carmel, California. It's not bad, as lightweight mysteries go.
Imogene (Gene)
Learned somethings about antique dealers
Maddy
RATING: 3.25
Karma
Apr 29, 2011 Karma added it
Shelves: mystery
Awesome series
Judi
Judi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Brewsoise Beertrothed
Brewsoise Beertrothed marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Carol Shade
Carol Shade marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jul 11, 2015
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Maria Lima
Maria Lima marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Monia
Monia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Defne
Defne marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2)
  • Shadows on the Ivy (Antique Print, #3)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
Elaine Flinn, a former Bay Area antiques dealer, created Molly Doyle, a Carmel, CA, antiques dealer in Dealing in Murder, her 2003 debut novel that was nominated for an Agatha, Gumshoe, Barry and Anthony (2003). Tagged for Murder (2004) won the Barry Award. Two more Molly Doyle novels--Deadly Collection and Deadly Vintage followed.

Flin was one of the founding members of Murderati. And, it was duri
More about Elaine Flinn...

Molly Doyle (4 books)
  • Tagged for Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Collection (A Molly Doyle Mystery #3)
  • Deadly Vintage (A Molly Doyle Mystery #4)
Tagged for Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #2) Deadly Collection (A Molly Doyle Mystery #3) Deadly Vintage (A Molly Doyle Mystery #4)