Start by marking “No Place Like Utopia: Modern Architecture and the Company We Kept” as Want to Read:
No Place Like Utopia: Modern Architecture and the Company We Kept

No Place Like Utopia: Modern Architecture and the Company We Kept

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Writer, museum curator, and practicing architect Blake has numbered among his acquaintances (and occasionally enemies) the major figures of modern architecture as well as many artists. Here are his wonderful stories of Frank Lloyd Wright, Buckminster Fuller, le Corbusier, Jackson Pollock, and others. Photos.
Published October 12th 1993 by Alfred a Knopf (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about No Place Like Utopia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Place Like Utopia

Kathleen Tahk
Wonderful anecdotes from Blake about all of the masters of modern architecture with whom he interacted in his days at the Architectural Review and in his early career. Still, I wish it read less like a light memoir and more like a critical assessment on modernism.
Marian Ferguson
While the name dropping grew a little tiresome, Blake for his vantage point of curator of architecture at MOMA and editor I. Chief of Architeture Forum provides provocative insights into the history of modern architecture I the US.
Beth Anne
At first I loved this book and was fascinated by the Peter Blake's tales of Architecture in America. As I worked my way towards the end, he started to seem pompous and like the sort of guy who likes to listen to himself talk. Some sections also seemed redundant. Still, an interesting read from start to finish.
Kiel
Twenty-five thousand stars, if I could.
Senem Cennetoglu
Senem Cennetoglu marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
William Smith
William Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Abby Huff
Abby Huff marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Tyrone Ironstone
Tyrone Ironstone marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Erin Reilly-Sanders marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2012
Johnson
Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2012
Joni
Joni marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2011
EJ
EJ added it
Aug 20, 2011
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2011
SueAnn
SueAnn marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2011
Karissa Morton
Karissa Morton marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2010
The Master Builders: Le Corbusier, Mies Van Der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright The Arcadian Cipher Form Follows Fiasco: Why Modern Architecture Hasn't Worked Peter Blake's ABC God's Own Junkyard: The Planned Deterioration of America's Landscape