Start by marking “The Life of Graham Greene, Volume I: 1904-1939” as Want to Read:
The Life of Graham Greene, Volume I: 1904-1939

The Life of Graham Greene, Volume I: 1904-1939 (The Life of Graham Greene #1)

"An astonishingly thorough yet readable story, hard-nosed yet sympathetic...." - Margaret Atwood (1995)
Hardcover, First Canadian Edition, 783 pages
Published June 1989 by Lester & Orpen Dennys, Toronto

To ask other readers questions about The Life of Graham Greene, Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of Graham Greene, Volume I

Book Riot Community
This is not a small undertaking. It’s 3 massive volumes and I admit I still haven’t gotten to the third one. But Greene SO deserves it. You are only at the beginning of Volume I and already there is the kind of social conflict and bullying and depression in a British boys’ prep school that’s worthy of a novel of its own. He plays Russian Roulette a few times while still in his teens. Then he explores Africa! Like legitimately explores it and goes places people have never gone! And becomes a spy ...more
Simon
Dec 08, 2008 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
these three books are basically pretty good, but at times the biographer started to remind me of the malevolent narrator from Nabokov's Pale Fire, his asides and comments suggested that he would really like to be telling you about his own experiences and what happened to him, Norman Sherry while he wrote these 'bleedin books that cost him 26 odd years of his life....'.

With GG it seems that pretty much his fiction is draw very much from what he really did, but would never actually admit to, like
Donna
Jan 29, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have really enjoyed reading the 1st volume of Graham Greene's life - up to and including his work "The Power & the Glory". I've been reading some of the novels along the way, and have found this to add a whole different perspective to the novels. With this first biography I read "The Man Within", "Stamboul Train (Orient Express)", "England Made Me", "A Gun for Sale", "Brighton Rock", and "The Power and the Glory". Other books are discussed, but these were the ones that interested me.

Norman S
Ethan
Jan 21, 2009 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jesus Christ, the most incredible biography I've ever read.

I haven't read the other two (three?) volumes, but from what I understand Norman Sherry went slowly insane over the course of writing them and by the third volume he's like, "At 12:06 PM on January 3rd, Graham Greene had a bowel movement."

Ironically, that kind of obsessive attention to detail is what makes the first volume such a fascinating read.
Heather Mcgrail
Jul 03, 2008 Heather Mcgrail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is dense and full of all the details and intricate psychology from his early years.
Awesome.
I'm reading it slowly, but I'm loving it.
Gregg Parsons
Mar 11, 2017 Gregg Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As thorough as any biography can be and definitely one for Greene aficionados. Looking forward to reading vol. 2 which covers, for many, the most interesting period of his life.
Riley Haas
Jan 04, 2017 Riley Haas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sherry's biography of the first 35 years of Greene's life is exhaustive, that is probably the thing to start with. If you are not a fan of Graham Greene, I cannot emphasize enough that you should not read this book. Though Greene had an incredible life, this biography is not meant for those who just want to know about his travels. Rather, this is for Greene obsessives. Even, a huge fan of Greene - he is probably my favourite English language author - was not thoroughly enough prepared for this. ...more
Pa
Jun 10, 2008 Pa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enormous and exhausting literary study of the life and work of a major modern writer of the 20th century. Sherry's 3-volume biography chronicles Greene's life and works and adventures and affairs providing a fascinating account of an extraordinary life. Sherry theorizes that the private Greene can be best understood through his fiction and I tend to agree with this. The main male characters in Green's major novels, like The Heart of the Matter, the End of the Affair and the Quiet American, re ...more
Suyin
Nov 19, 2008 Suyin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justread
Exhaustive and sometimes exhausting. I may need a book club just for this trilogy, the first part of which is consuming the second half of 2008 for me. Still, it's everything, everything, everything you ever wanted to know about the man. The slow pace is at times difficult but the revelations about Greene are well worth the investment.

January 11, 2009: I finished Volume I on the last day of 2008, aided by the Panamanian sun and the slightly alarmed encouragement of friends on holiday. NB: I don
Indy
Okay, I can't believe that I signed on to read this trilogy. It is taking me forever to wade through the minutia of Graham's first 35 years. It isn't that the book is boring, just filled with so much detail that I find myself flipping to the photographs, the book's notes, and Greene's books themselves with each new reference made by Sherry. ARGH! I may still be reading this first volume when my kids go to college at this rate. Maybe, I should have just read Greene's AUTOBIOGRAPHY and taken his w ...more
Adelle
Feb 27, 2015 Adelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
700+ pages in Volume 1 of 3. Perhaps a tad bit more information than I really needed, wanted, or desired.

Yet this book was perfect for my purposes. I'm reading Greene's The Power and the Glory and Volume 1-- quite tidily--- began with Greene's birth and ended just-post Power. As I said, perfect.

The chapters on Green's childhood provide a perspective on Greene's recurring theme of betrayal. The middle chapters, Greene courting his wife-to-be who won't marry him unless he converts, does much to e
Phil Barker
Long, 700 pages, and only covers up to the start of the war, so there is a lot of detail. Some of it interesting, helping to understand what made Greene tick, but some of it less so, especially the chapters that on his travels in Africa and Mexico which mostly just recount what is in the books he wrote about them.
Janice
Jan 31, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read for anyone who is into Graham Greene. Very well written. Contains copious correspondence from Graham to his future wife, Vivienne, w/r/t his initial years working as a journalist, his pursuit of her, and his conversion to Catholocism (I'm an atheist, and I found it interesting).
Grizsdina
May 14, 2010 Grizsdina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Over 800 pages and this is only the first part. Im curious to find out if that`s good or bad;-)
And of course I can`t wait to learn more about Greene who I`ve learned to appreciate and like so much after reading his novel "The End of the Affair", which is one of my favorite books of all time.
Sean
Feb 06, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graham-greene
Sherry seems like an ideal biographer: bold and sometimes critical, but nevertheless affectionate and invested. What an incredible life.
Roger
Feb 06, 2009 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of an extremely comprehensive biography of the complex British author Graham Greene. A fascinating read, if you're a fan, providing great insights into his novels.
micah
May 30, 2007 micah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"'I found a cable waiting for me in Mexico City asking me to apologize to that bitch Shirley Temple'"
The Life of Graham Green p. 621

Michael Robb
Michael Robb rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Gene
Gene rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Jeffrey Keeten
Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2011
Frederick
Frederick rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2007
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2009
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Helen Mingin
Helen Mingin rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Josephine Gardiner
Josephine Gardiner rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Gary Bundzak
Gary Bundzak rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Mark Saunders
Mark Saunders rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
D. Pow
D. Pow rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
  • A Postillion Struck by Lightning
  • Samuel Beckett
  • Savage Art: A  Biography of Jim Thompson
  • The Gilded Gutter Life of Francis Bacon: The Authorized Biography
  • A Strange Eventful History: The Dramatic Lives of Ellen Terry, Henry Irving and their Remarkable Families
  • George Orwell: The Authorised Biography
  • My Happy Days In Hell

The Life of Graham Greene (3 books)
  • The Life of Graham Greene, Vol. 2: 1939-1955