Start by marking “God Knows No Heroes” as Want to Read:
God Knows No Heroes

God Knows No Heroes

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Authentic murder trail with world wide chase and novel ending. A celebrated Rabbi is suspected of killing his wife: trial is now on.
Published November 1st 2001 by Chateau Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about God Knows No Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Knows No Heroes

Christy Stewart
I've recently been wondering what a book written by an author who has never read a book might read like; I think I have my answer.

Although Shabel is obviously an adult he writes like a grade schooler.

Here is my impression of his style:

Christy sits at her computer to write a review. In her mid-twenties, she has not changed clothes in three days. She picks up her Dr. Pepper for a drink, and drinks from it. "This book is terrible," Christy says to herself and then sets the Dr. Pepper down.
Carrie
I won a free copy of this book through the goodreads first-reads page. This book reeks of self-published novel(turns out it is!): strange footnotes at the bottom (it's a mystery novel, not a reference manual), completely unlikable characters (there is no hero to root for), and a lost plot (aka I don't care what happens). Needless to say, it did not pass the 50 pg rule (If I don't like it in the first 50, there's no point reading the rest).
Jason (RawBlurb)
50 words… here they come..

i hate that i have to be the douchebag reviewer, but damn… i cant do otherwise.

for a first book, it really showed.

i really did not enjoy Norman Shabel’s novel. i am not even going to give a plot synopsis. God Knows No Heroes was just that horrid.

over the years, friends and i have played a word game. you are given you five random words and you must created a 50 word description of a situation using all 5 words, or a reasonable variation of them.

my wife gave me 5: flower,
Belinda
Aug 30, 2013 Belinda rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Belinda by: Goodreads
Because I devour murder mysteries, adore historical fiction and particularly am drawn to stories with a cross-cultural element, I had high hopes for Norman Shabel's first novel. Sadly, I was disappointed.

While he has a good command of language, can construct sentences and splice together varied scenes and dialogues, he has not managed to create any character in this novel that I could remotely care about - including the victim. I have no problem with some characters being flawed, but when all o
Dianne
Apr 03, 2010 Dianne added it
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read and held my attention. The only problem I found was that it definitely needed to be proof-read! There were several misspelled words but more important than that was on pg.210 in an important scene in the book, it became difficult to follow. Yehuda in one paragraph rose and touched the blood pouring from his nose, but the next paragraph Olsham falls against an unconscious Yehuda! What? It didn't make sense at that point.
All in all I enjoyed the book. I lik
Kristi
I loved this book. This is the first time I have read this author and it was quite a treat. Norman Shabel knows how to reel you into a grand story and keep you attached until the very end. The characters in this book are some redeeming and others reviling. This story truly touched my heart because in the injustices in it happen all too often in real life and the ending made me feel like I had just drank down a very tall glass of sweet iced tea after a nice lazy day lounging in the sun. Kinda Twi ...more
Greg Pittman
Won a copy of this book thru Goodreads. Glad I entered for this one. First time reading this author. Found his writing style enjoyable. Good legal thriller, especially during the trial. Writing wandered at times, but never lost my interest. Only complaint was the use of profanity, especially using Lords's name in vain. The numerous times it was used was a distraction from a good story. Will keep an eye out for more Norman Shabel books in the future.
Martha
Apr 07, 2010 Martha added it
I too won a copy of this book. I thought it was going to be based on the Rabbi Neulander Case. In some respects it was, but I found myself not really interested in the characters, or anything.

When the book takes us to Israel I was trying to figure out why, and what that was adding to the story, it didn't seem to add anything to the story but 60 pages.

Tina
I liked how the main character developed throughout the story. We get to see a good person face his past and his fears. It is a great story with international intrigue and suspense.
Arleen Shabel
Great Legal Thriller, Legal Mystery
Janine Rubens
Janine Rubens marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2010
Francine Anchondo
Francine Anchondo marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2010
Barry Mortzfield
Barry Mortzfield marked it as to-read
Monique Depope
Monique Depope marked it as to-read
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Catamorandi
Catamorandi marked it as to-read
rebecca clark
rebecca clark marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
KSMary
KSMary marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2010
Crafted as a writer of legal mysteries for the past half-century, Norman Shabel writes every book as if it is the first and last book he will ever write.
The characters in his books are earthy and alive, whether they are good or bad people. The reader can experience the trials and tribulations that those real characters are immersed in.
Taking his enormous experience in almost every facet of our c
More about Norman Shabel...
The Corporation The Badger Game The Aleph Bet Conspiracy Under Paris Rooftops Four Women