Start by marking “Four Plays By Eugene O'Neill” as Want to Read:
Four Plays By Eugene O'Neill

Four Plays By Eugene O'Neill

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Winner of four Pulitzer Prizes and the first American dramatist to receive a Nobel Prize, Eugene O'Neill filled his plays with rich characterization and innovative language, taking the outcasts and renegades of society and depicting their Olympian struggles with themselves-and with destiny.

Published August 7th 2007 by Signet Classics (first published February 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four Plays By Eugene O'Neill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Plays By Eugene O'Neill

Melanie
Beyond the Horizon, 4 stars

Albeit sad, I didn't find this play to be as dark and bleak as I had expected.

Indeed there is a love triangle; however, that aspect of the play didn't strike me as the most central.

For me, the play was more about choices and how one deals with and reacts to decisions once they've been made. Does one keep moving forward? Does one become embittered? Does one despise the one who hurt him?

What moved (and surprised) me most was the tenderness the brothers displayed toward
Mike
the emperor jones is all kinds of fucked up. the story is basically about an african-american who has set himself up as emperor of a caribbean island, but the black savage inhabitants of the island are now rebelling, and he must escape through the jungle. jones' dialogue is written in that typical "i sho' is hungee" dialect, yet the play somehow seems to have something to say about what w.e.b. dubois called double consciousness. extremely problematic and therefore extremely interesting.
Candice Beever
I really enjoyed all of these plays. They're easy to follow and still relavant today. O'Neill is an amazing playwright. Not surprisingly, two of these plays won him Pulitzers (Beyond the Horizon and Anna Christie). I'd recommend them even if you don't really like reading plays. He uses enough stage direction that it feels like you're reading a novel.
علی
یوجین اونیل (1953-1888) نمایش نامه نویس آمریکایی برنده ی نوبل، متاثر از تیاتر واقع گرای چخوف و هنریک ایبسن بود. او که سال ها روی کشتی کار کرده بود، در اغلب آثار اولیه اش به زندگی ملاحان و سفرهای دریایی پرداخت. آخرین نمایش نامه های اونیل، بهترین آنها هستند که به نوعی تراژدی شخصیت های نومید مشهور اند.
Sean Endymion
Read *The Emperor Jones* and *The Hairy Ape*. Insane amounts of dialect -- more than Twain? Is that possible? Interesting plays, and I can see why O'Neill was hailed as the first great American playwright, but... to me, they simply aren't *entertaining* because of how moralizing they try to be.
Kurt
I enjoyed the Ibsen-like Anna Christie and Beyond the Horizon (depressing, but well-told stories), but the Emperor Jones and Hairy Ape were a little much for me. I found O'Neill's written accents to be distracting to wade through.
Nicole Marino
Would give it a higher rating, but O'Neill's always better on stage, in my opinion.
Eshivey
have most of his plays. great playwrite.

Kent Jackson
Kent Jackson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Rowena
Rowena added it
May 13, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
May 13, 2014
Steve Owen
Steve Owen marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
HowPeculeah
HowPeculeah marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Kris Morris
Kris Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • The Four Major Plays: The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / Three Sisters / Cherry Orchard
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • Three Plays: Exit the King / The Killer / Macbett
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • Modern Information Retrieval
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Incident at Vichy
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • McSweeney's #31
  • Waiting for Lefty and Other Plays
  • Miss Julie and Other Plays
  • Jumpers
  • Biloxi Blues
  • Dutchman & The Slave
  • The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories: Family Happiness; The Kreutzer Sonata; Master and Man
Eugene Gladstone O'Neill was an American playwright who won the 1936 Nobel Prize in Literature "for the power, honesty and deep-felt emotions of his dramatic works, which embody an original concept of tragedy." More than any other dramatist, O'Neill introduced American drama to the dramatic realism pioneered by Russian playwright Anton Chekhov, Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen, and Swedish playwr ...more
More about Eugene O'Neill...
Long Day's Journey Into Night The Iceman Cometh Mourning Becomes Electra A Moon for the Misbegotten Three Plays: Desire Under the Elms / Strange Interlude / Mourning Becomes Electra

“For de small stealing dey puts you in jail, soon or late. But for de big stealing dey puts yo' picture in de paper and yo' statue in de Hall of Fame when you croaks! If dey's one thing I learned in ten years, listenin' to de white quality on de Pullman cars, it's dat same fact. And when I gets a chance to use it -- from stowaway to Emperor in two years. Dat's goin' some!” 1 likes