Start by marking “Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)

Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #6)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,733 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
With rain crashing down, as her range rover climbs a steep embankment on the Northumberland moors, Lori Shepherd is beginning to doubt the wisdom of her decision to evaluate a book collection at Wyrdhurst Hall. The grim, neo-gothic hall that greets her is full of surprises: including a charming, secretive stranger and tales of haunted love. It will take all of Lori's paran ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 247 pages
Published October 2001 by Penguin Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil

Sandy
Jun 10, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: Judie W.
Shelves: fiction-mystery
This is one of my favorite books so far in the Aunt Dimity series. I'm glad that Lori's "passionate nature" and "roving eye", as Dimity calls it (pg. 148) are finally discussed. I was wondering why in many of the previous books Lori finds herself attracted to various men ( cousin Gerald in Aunt Dimity's Good Deed, both Julian Bright, the Roman Catholic priest, and Kit Smith, the homeless man, in Aunt Dimity's Christmas, and Adam Chase in this book). I was wondering why this happily married woman ...more
Kim
Oct 13, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I have read all of this series and like it a lot. Probably because she's living my dream life. An American girl receives a large inheritance from a friend of her mother's in England and goes to live there in a charming Cotswold cottage. I do like the Aunt Dimity speaking from the grave plot device. I AM getting a little tired of Lori's roving eye motif. Does EVERY single book HAVE to have some attractive man that she becomes attached to and who falls for her? Having said that, this is probably m ...more
Ellen
Aug 11, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil by Nancy Atherton.

This story seemed to have everything that makes a mystery fun to read. Lori shepherd travels to an old English Hall that appears to be haunted. She's been called on to appraise a unique book collection. The books reveal a bit more than just their age. She soon begins to learn of a romance that may have the reasoning behind the haunting. Aunt Dimity attempts to guide Lori away from those that may become harmful to her by writing her messages.

I am act
Erin L
May 06, 2016 Erin L rated it really liked it
I'm rating this higher than I thought I would. It's interesting that I hate the character without flaws, but when I'm faced with a flawed character, I take issue with it.

So, here's the thing - Lori is flawed. Yes, she falls in love with a different man every book and she lets that cloud her judgement. I don't like that about her, but I suppose as long as she doesn't actually act on it, it's not the end of the world. I just really wish she'd accept it about herself and be more aware of it as she'
Kailey
Oct 20, 2015 Kailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This is the perfect fluffy book for a chilly autumn evening! Curling up with a cup of tea and a hilarious ghost mystery just before Halloween- it doesn't get any better than that! I like ghost stories when the spirits are friendly, like Aunt Dimity and her ghostly cohorts.

This book doesn't have Bill or the twins in it, because Lori is traveling to a haunted mansion to categorize their ancient library. As if I needed another reason to love her character- she's a bookish person with a bookish job!
C.
May 20, 2015 C. rated it it was amazing
I inhaled this whole book in one day! Any sentence by Nancy Atherton is uplifting. I savour her for when I need an emotional boost. Her mysteries are exciting and always exceptionally original. There has been a small paranormal presence, conversing with Dimity through a journal. It was all right because I adore Lori’s family and always-varying friends. It is high praise that this is my favourite so far! THIS is more like the paranormal I yearn for in adult books! We don’t see a ghost but at last ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Why you ask, did I only give three stars when I usually give Aunt Dimity books five stars?

Sigh.

Well, in order to tell you that.... I have to discuss some SPOILERS.

SPOILER ALERT!

This is the sixth book in the Aunt Dimity series.

What bothered me about this book:

I feel like Lori's roving eye is going to show up in each book. I didn't notice it that much in the first few I read but after reading this and the last book (Aunt Dimity's Christmas), I am afraid, but hope it is not a pattern.

First of all,
Pamela Mclaren
Aunt Dimity is the wise old aunt we all need, she just isn't around in human form. And in Lori Shepherd's latest adventure, Aunt Dimity isn't the only ghost she has to deal with.

Nancy Atherton has a way of making a ghost seem sensible in her books and she keeps her main character, Lori Shepherd on that fine line where she is not too silly nor too darn smart. So her stories of Lori's misadventures at Wyrdhurst Hall where she is supposed to be evaluating a rare book collection, are ones that you
Sandy
Feb 13, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Aunt Dimity books continue to delight. Lori is asked to go to Northumberland to catalog a private library owned by her friend Dickie. She is also asked to keep her eyes and ears open because Dickie is the guardian of a woman living at the castle and all is not right. In this book, we meet a writer of stories about World War I, and a Captain Guy Manning stationed in the services there.
The castle is haunted and Lori sets out to help with this issue with Aunt Dimity's help.
A good cozy and well wo
Dianna
Dec 15, 2011 Dianna rated it it was ok
This was an okay story, but once again it did not have much of Aunt Dimity. I don' really like the books where Lori takes off on a trip all alone. Also, this is the second story where she finds herself attracted to another man. This seems repetitious of the other story I really wasn't crazy about.

Was intent to read all of the Dimity stories, but If they go the was this one went I don't feel as though I want to continue reading them.

Tracy
Jul 08, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok
Escapist and fun, yes. But I'm getting a little tired of the semi-romance-novel-esque trope of thrusting attractive young men at the protagonist. (spoiler alert) When you have to resort to having a ghost possess your married heroine in order to have her kiss someone who's not her husband...it feels a little forced. Oh well.
Kathy
Another great read in the Aunt Dimity series! Haunted castle and past tragedies play a delicious part in this latest book with Lori Shepherd taking a trip to the north of England to evaluate a book collection and encountering much more than she bargained for.
Judy
The Aunt Dimity mysteries and Lori Shepherd are a refreshing twist on cosy mysteries.
Maria
Jan 09, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
In this book, Lori solves a 100-year-old mystery and brings closure to a grieving mother who died in 1918. There are ghostly sightings and sounds, unexplained mud slides, footsteps overhead at night and a young girl three month's married who is slowly going crazy trying to deal with everything until Lori shows up to help. Bill is at home with the twins and Lori is trying not to be possessed by a grieving ghost while fending off her attraction to a handsome author in his forties. Lots of action a ...more
Melissa
I think this is my favorite "Aunt Dimity" so far. Completely enjoyed it. Love these little mysteries.
Gail
Apr 08, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it
Not sure what the title has to do with the book, but I enjoyed this sixth Aunt Dimity mystery very much. Lori is asked to visit an English country house in a secluded part of Northumberland to scout a collection of rare books for her employer. What she finds is a timid newlywed whose loutish husband has gone away on business, leaving her in an enormous ancestral home with the possibility of resident ghosts. With the help of a handsome next-door neighbour and an earnest police detective, Lori att ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it

A rather delightful "cozy" featuring the ghost of Aunt Dimity, that makes her voice heard in form of automatic writing in a blue Journal.

Wyrdhurst Hall is haunted, the locals are disgruntled, the owners of the manor are rather unhappily married, the husband goes off days at a time leaving his wife alone with the hauntings, and Lori is brought in to evaluate the Library's collection.

Little does Lori know that she will be the one to unravel the mystery of the ghostly heriss, lost love, & her u
Nancy
Nov 09, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
When this book came up in a reading group, I was sure that I had read it, I love this series so when I went looking for my review, I could not find it anywhere. I was beginning to wonder if I had unwittingly skipped it.

As soon as I finished the first chapter I knew the story, well, I thought I did. The beginning was familiar, the middle was a mystery, but the ending relit the dim bulb that I am now calling my mind and I am glad that I had reread it to remind myself how far Lori has come.

Lori wi
Leya
Feb 08, 2013 Leya rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
The main reason I come back to read the Aunt Dimity series, is the simplicity. Not that the story is simple, but the way it's written and the way the author just grabs you, and keeps you entertained without suspense (the thriller kind) and gore. The author is an entertaining story teller.

As usual I found it very easy to get into the story and lose track of time. This time around we don't see Bill, Lori's husband. She's taking a working vacation away from the twins and Bill, to catalogue a collec
Kristen
Jan 31, 2013 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite Aunt Dimity book so far! It was a bit of a departure from Lori's usual adventures, but it was filled with bittersweet romance, family intrigues and unquenchable love. A wonderful story!!

When Lori's asked to spend a week at a remote English mansion cataloguing a collection of books, she thinks it will be a lark and a brief respite from chasing her toilet-training, toddlers around her own English cottage. Instead from the beginning and before she even arrives at the Wyrdhurst
The Flooze
*3.5*

A favor to Stan and another old friend has Lori heading off to an isolated mansion on Scotland's borders. She's summoned to catalogue a library but finds several mysteries on her hands.

The primary one unfolds in a familiar way: through the heartfelt letters of a person long dead and forgotten. Written by a WWI soldier, the missives are filled with love, longing, and despair. Found Letters is a plot device Atherton continually uses to great effect, granting the dead vibrant and beguiling voi
Marlo
Jan 29, 2016 Marlo rated it liked it
This is the third Aunt Dimity book I've read, and I'm discovering a pattern... a castle-ish house, a handsome and mysterious man who the (married) Lori finds mildly tempting (but she loves her husband so doesn't stray -- er, sort of), and of course ghosts and mystery. It's silly, silly fluff, but I keep returning when I'm "between reads." The books are clean, the settings lovely, and the mysteries just mysterious enough without gore. And it's at our small local library, so it's free.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I love this cozy mystery series and this installment is no exception. This time Lori gets to travel on an adventure by herself. She travels across England, nearly to the Scottish border, where she almost looses her life in a mudslide. Luckily she escapes and begins her latest adventure with her wonderful friend, Aunt Dimity. As usual, Nancy Atherton always leaves a little surprise at the end that I don't see coming.
Althea Ann
I admit, it was the 'Devil' in the title that got me reading this one! This is one of a long series of 'cozy' supernatural mystery novels. Unlike some I've read in this genre, the supernatural plot elements are 'real.' 'Aunt Dimity' is a ghost who communicates with the rather ordinary Lori Shepherd through messages in an old diary, giving her warnings when needed - and helping her solve mysteries, of course. In this episode, Lori reluctantly leaves her toddlers alone with their father and takes ...more
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 The Hobbit rated it it was amazing
6th book in series. Lori Shepherd is hired to evaluate the book collection at Wyrdhurst Hall, a gloomy mansion in Northumberland. The evil in the place is tangible. With the help of a handsome young WWI historian and Aunt dimity, Lori discovers a tragic love story involving missing letters, a missing treasure, and a grief-stricken ghost.
Rita
Dec 19, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it
I'm on a roll, reading all the Aunt Dimity books. I do wish I could find a list of them in order, but I'm doing my best by using the copyright dates.

One thing (or more) that makes Ms. Atherton's books so enjoyable is her wonderful descriptions. She is not just a fun storyteller, she's also a great writer.
Carlin
Jul 12, 2014 Carlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Dharia Scarab
Jul 27, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Judy Goodnight
Lori Shepherd is off to Wyrdhurst Hall to survey a library for her ex-boss, but she finds herself involved in very mysterious happenings at the hall. A spooky tale just right for Halloween reading, there's ghostly haunting, possession, gaslighting, secret stairways, peepholes, obsession, and a sad tale about the past residents of the house. Things are not all as they seem but, with Aunt Dimity's help, the truth is finally revealed.

I like Lori even if she does seem to have a crush on another man
June
One of the better books in the series and great for a light Halloween tale.
I do find it odd that the main character, Lori, is always falling in love with someone other than her husband. Her character appears flighty because of it.
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Avenging Angels (Beaufort & Company, #3)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • A Spirited Gift (Missing PIeces Mystery #3)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • The Clairvoyant Countess
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such pla
More about Nancy Atherton...

An Aunt Dimity Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
  • Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity #9)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)