Aunt Dimity: Detective (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)

Aunt Dimity: Detective (Aunt Dimity #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,612 ratings  ·  72 reviews
When Lori Shepherd returns from her trip to America, she is shocked to hear that Prunella "Pruneface" Hooper has been killed. This is the first murder in the village of Finch in more than a century, and everyone is in an uproar. Before the town implodes in the wake of this scandal, Lori sets out to solve the murder. Unfortunately, nearly everyone in Finch had a reason to w...more
Published January 28th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

The Flooze
A proper murder! In Finch, of all places!

Aunt Dimity: Detective veers away from the normal pattern of the series by focusing on recent murder. However, the occasion is still a catalyst for stunning revelations about the townspeople.

The rumor mill of Finch is as industrious as any. Atherton lets the gossip fly in a story that takes place entirely within the village. The secrets uncovered by Lori and her newfound friend Nicholas are mostly tame, but one is a regular humdinger.

Unfortunately, I di...more
Elizabeth
Another cozy wonderful Aunt Dimity mystery!

I want to live in Finch, the little village in the Cotswolds where Lori and her husband and twin boys live in Aunt Dimity's cozy cottage. Actually, I want to live in Aunt Dimity's cottage!

This mystery centered around a murder in Finch. The victim was Finch's notorious evil gossip. Every one in the village has a motive but whodunit?
BJ Rose
It was nice to be back in Finch, and to actually see Bill in the story instead of just hearing about him. And like some other reviewers, I'm getting tired of Lori's 'wandering eye' since she doesn't seem to want to leave it at the 'look-don't-touch' stage.
Diane Heath
This book brings me up to date on the series (minus book 2 which I have yet to locate) By this time the character of Lori is well established and her circle of friends and family are in place. The difference this time is that an actual murder has been committed in Finch!! It is up to Lori to discover the truth about the death of Mrs. Hooper since the police are after Kit (see Aunt Dimity's Christmas). Bill is stuck in London so Lori's partner in crime is the vicar's nephew, Nicholas. Small towns...more
Sandie
It seems that I started my exploration of Aunt Dimity about six books into this series. That, however, did nothing to diminish my reading pleasure as I discovered that Aunt Dimity is a departed spirit who communicates with our protagonist, Lori Shepherd, by writing in an old blue journal .

Imagine if you will a quaint English village with the requisite Vicar and his wife, the local tradesmen and women, and an assortment of residents, some average and some anything but average. With not much goin...more
Robin
I read this because I thought it was the first book in the series.

It's not, which is just as well. Had I read this series from the beginning, I'd have pulled a Thursday Next so I could go slap Lori.

***Spoiler Alert Spoiler Alert***

I don't know why the author bothered to give her main character a husband and twin sons; basically they're a sidenote to the plot. The plot, which seems to be a way for someone (the author, the editor, SOMEONE) to have their cake and eat it too. Not only did Lori spend...more
Kristen

18 months ago

This wasn't my favourite of the Aunt Dimity books, but I still enjoyed it.

Lori returns to Finch from an extended visit to the U.S. to discover that the nasty new addition to the town has been murdered and while everyone in town seems to have secrets that may have some relation to the murder, nobody's talking.

When the vicar's nephew arrives for a visit, he and Lori team up to try to ferret out the truth.

Unfortunately, a large part of this book invoved a close examination of the very...more
Maria
The village of Finch once more is front and center for a mystery, this time a murder. The personalities the reader has met in other books take the stage again and we learn more about each. There are only a few new characters. This book is the last in the series that I had read back in 2003 or 2004 and the gingerbread men recipe one of the few I didn't try back then, so I get to anticipate going on to the other books in the series and trying several recipes at the same time. Over the next few wee...more
Becky
I didn’t know that this was not the first book in the series but I dived in anyways once I figured it out. I am not sure about this book. The characters seemed interesting but very glib about the murder of someone in the village. Of course she was a terrible person but still murder? Also the author seemed rather flippant about some of the topics that she brought up in the course of the story, such as a married woman attracted to other men, quite often from the sounds of it. That issue was a litt...more
Leya
Just what I needed! It was a fast paced, entertaining and charming read. It was a good book to cosy up with in a wet April afternoon.

Although Dimity's presence wasn't as prominent in this book her words of wisdom come through loud and clear. And I think that one of the main reasons I come back for more, Dimity is charming, direct and wise for a ghost. I found the mysteries (both the murder and the "real" reason for Nicholas' visit) easy to crack, but it was interesting to see the villagers point...more
Sandy
Jun 17, 2010 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sandy by: Judie W.
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Another enjoyable book in the series...

I am still waiting for the author to develop a plot which does not involve Lori having a "wandering eye". In this book, she seemed less "tempted" by the "man" (Simon), but I still find it distracting for two reasons. One is that it seems to be a "feature", or part of the plot, and it seems a little contrived that Lori meets and almost immediately "bonds" with a different handsome man in each book. The speed with which her relationship develops seems unnatur...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Carlin
Jul 03, 2014 Carlin added it
"Drifts of hyacinths, daffodils and tender white narcissi turned their faces to the sun like a choir praising the miracle of Spring."

I love Nancy Atherton's writing. And this book was another delight. Although I can't read the series in order because I'm too impatient to wait for titles I've put on hold, it really doesn't matter to my enjoyment of each book.
Karen Parano
Take a honey colored cottage, an omniscient Aunt, and a well-intentioned but slightly ditzy 40 something named Lori and set them in the rainy small town of Finch, England and you have the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton. I finished Aunt Dimity: Detective which was good but Atherton's earliest ones were the best.
R.
This book is very light. All of the people involved are very blasé about the fact that "Pruneface" was murdered and the murderer remains at large; everyone agrees that she was so nasty that her death was a kindness. At the end, the mystery is resolved in a comical manner. I felt that the book/Lori was a bit too flippant, and I think the author shied away from saying anything consequential about some of the issues she brought up in the course of the book (including infidelity and a young teen's a...more
Margaret
This was the first Aunt Dimity book I've read and I have to say that while it was pleasant, fast reading, I was not overly impressed. In this book, Aunt Dimity (deceased) was a spirit that manifests herself to the heroine, Lori, via a blue journal book. I honestly don't think Aunt Dimity leant much credence to the story - I could have done without her (and I think Lori also, since she had the help of the vicar's nephew, Nicholas). The ending seemed a little melodramatic and disappointing at the...more
Kate
I wasn't sure what to think of this book for the first 100 pages.
I still loved to go back to Finch, to hear again of Lori and Aunt Dimity and to know new characters, but I couldn't get my teeth in this novel.

But then... I couldn't stop reading, because I really really really wanted to know how everything would fit together. And wihle reading the last5 pages, I couldn't stop laughing: Only in Finch suspects of a murder can be so happy about being suspects :D

Now, after this great ending to this bo...more
Violet
A little disappointed with this one. The story was a little too predictable.
Margie
I can't believe it! Here is an Aunt Dimity book that I didn't like! No interesting historical sidelights and not an engaging mystery either. Other than getting to know the villagers better, this book left me very unsatisfied. It definitely can't hold a candle to the first six Aunt Dimity books. I hope #8 is back to the delicious fun of the first six!

P.S. And I am getting tired of Lori's "wandering eye" too. It doesn't endear me to her as a character, especially when it is repeated with different...more
Mary Ann
This is the 1st of her series I have read, was an enjoyable read, with a interesting twist at the end. I may look into reading some of her other works.
Nancy Bennett
By the end of this book I just waned to hurl it against the wall and scream at Lori -- and the author -- "What is wrong with you?!!!!" Each book seems to take her one step closer to breaking her marriage vows and it is really distracting from what should have been another enjoyable cozy mytery.

I have one more Aunt Dimity book that I checked out from the library, but if Lori's eye is still wandering so much I might just have to take a break from the series because it annoys me so much.
sj
As always, Dimity is good when I'm in a reading slump, or just hating everything.

I did get really angry while I was reading this one, though.

(view spoiler), so hopefully we won't have to worry about that in future books.

At least, Kat assures me it's something that eventually tapers off.

Anyway, good (super quick) read. Save these for when you're caught in a Sneaky Hate Spiral.
Carol
In this adventure Lori, Bill and the twins return from an extended holiday in America to find that Prunella 'Pruneface' Hopper has been murdered and the villagers close ranks against the police, but harbour suspicions about each other. The vicar's nephew, Nicholas is visiting his aunt and uncle and helps Lori in her quest to find a murderer and to restore peace in the village. Secrets are revealed and grudges forgotten in the village.

Another very enjoyable read.
Terry
While I continue to enjoy the Aunt Dimity series, I didn’t really like this 7th installment. It was pretty predictable and I’m tired of our married mother of two heroine struggling with her “feelings” for every handsome man assisting with her detective work. I realize I’m reading a genre and understand there’s going to be a clinker here and there, so will continue with the “Dimity” series. Just hoping the rest are better than this..
Diana Duncan
This was the first book of the series that I have read. I gave this one three stars because I thought the murder mystery was clever. I found the subplot involving the main character's flirtation with a man other than her husband to be extremely annoying. Based on the dialogue in the book, this appears to happen in the other books so I don't think I can stomach another one.
Bev
Such a delight to read this cozy series that is set in Finch (rural English village), with a small and predictable group of neighbours. Throw in a pinch of magic (dead Aunt Dimity, who communicates with Lori by writing in a special journal...). Just a really enjoyable read, and a lengthy series to look forward to -- this is only book 7 of at least 16.
Kristen
This is a really nice cozy mystery. It is about an American named Lori Shepherd who is married and living in England with her husband Bill and their 2 year old twin boys, Will and Rob. There has been a murder in their home town of Finch and Lori, along with her resident ghost (Aunt Dimity), are trying to solve the mystery.
Deanna
Another excellent relationship-exploring book in the Aunt Dimity series. I sort of wish Lori didn't have her "wandering eye," as if it were an uncontrollable party of one's personality, but she never actually does anything truly terrible that might destroy her family, I guess it's supposed to be all right.
The Aunt Dimity books are quick reads--light and enjoyable. I liked the mystery of this particular book, but I don't like the books as well in which Bill is noticeably absent and Lori is spending her sleuthing time with another man. However, all comes right in the end.
Gwen
There's been a murder in Finch while Lori was visiting the States. It is up to her to solve the mystery of who killed "Pruneface." How could anyone from the village have done such a thing? It turns out that motive abounds in this quaint little village.
  • Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • A Dilly of a Death (China Bayles, #12)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing PIeces Mystery #3)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Silent Knight
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such pla...more
More about Nancy Atherton...
Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity, #1) Aunt Dimity and the Duke (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #2) Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6) Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3) Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)