Start by marking “Hunter's Moon” as Want to Read:
Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Harry Griffin is a loner who's witnessed some of war's rawest moments. A survivor, he is guided in all things by his unfailing loyalty and honesty. But a tragic altercation in Minnesota's North Woods that leaves a young man dead and suspicions of murder hanging in the air tests Harry's courage as never before. Nothing could have prepared him for the eerie silence that has...more
Published October 1st 1996 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Hunter's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter's Moon

Khost by Vincent HobbesThe Shining by Stephen KingProgeny by Patrick C. GreeneA Death Displaced by Andrew  ButcherSpook House by Michael  West
Halloween 2012 Must-Reads
32nd out of 47 books — 34 voters
Esme Dooley by Jane  DonovanShiver by Maggie StiefvaterLake Wobegon Days by Garrison KeillorSlave by Sherri HayesWolves by Cary Griffith
Books Set in Minnesota
90th out of 120 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Kurt
It's never good to find yourself asking, "When is this thing gonna end?" After enjoying a sweet buildup in the first quarter of the novel, I strolled into the Valley of Plot Doom, where my frustration at seeing no clear path out was augmented by the author's weak attempts to build characterization in minor players. By the time the story got back on track, I was tuckered out. There were definitely a few pleasant moments along the journey -- scenes in which two major characters have the requisite...more
Jean Doolittle
We have lots of good writers in Minnesota and reading books with a local setting is always a kick. That was some of my motivation for continuing to plow through this book, along with a perverse pleasure in some of the excruciating verbosity. Logan can turn a colorful phrase, but so OFTEN he shouldn't have. Take this phrase--sounds like prose poetry until you take it apart and say, "What???" "His hazel eyes had mellowed--had left tough and were hitchhiking toward wise--but they could still sting...more
Dale Barlow
what appears to be a “simple murder” turns out to be a more than convoluted mess of characters, entangled over the years—though no one knows it at the time. A bit hard to follow all the 20+ characters, but really this was an engrossing book. Surprising twists (multiple) at the end; 1996 hardback recommendation of Debbie, a Staffer @ Madison County Public Library, Berea; 4 out of 5 stars; maybe should be 3 out of 5 because all the characters were hard to follow; 392 pgs.; read 11 Aug 2014/#54
Joan
Hunter's Moon was not nearly as well-written as other books by this author, but it was still an interesting read.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read this several years ago and don't remember details. At the time I noted "Hard to evaluate. A good yarn but a shade too violent, and hard to follow at times. The main character goes off the wagon after ten years, to get the edge he needs to handle all the crap that's going on. His old best friend calls him for help. Harry winds up killing a teen-aged boy to save his friend's life. But who is pulling the strings?

Some lines from the book that I liked:

"He sounded to me like an experiment wher...more
Qazyman
This is a story that drowns under the weight of wasted words. The beginning was well constructed and the ending was action packed. In addition, the characters were interesting and deep, but the middle of the story rambled endlessly, and really didn't have a strong connection to the story.

I hoped that the story would come together, as some parts were fun to read, but it just didn't happen.
Madiha
Reading this was kinda rocky road. The starting is slow and dull, but it starts to build up fast and gets good and then takes a nose dive again. The plot has a lot of suspense and it leaves you guessing when you do get engaged. There were moments I'd yawn and moments where I wouldn't put it down. The ending is good. So all in all, its an okay thriller, worth reading if you can borrow.

Rebekkila
It was a good story and moved pretty quickly for the most part. One thing that really bothered me was the protagonist's dental hygiene habits. He abuses his gingiva and probably the underlying tooth structure with over aggressive brushing, often times brushing until his gingiva(gums) bleed. Remember your toothbrush bristles should not splay out or be tipped in red!
Jeff Dickison
Very uneven first book by Logan. Parts of the book are powerfully written and parts make little sense at all. The plot set-ups are often clumsily written and some of the characters logic are completely illogical. There is some ability here but it needs to mature.
Laraine
This was Logan's first book and while it was a fairly good read, it was not up to his other books IMHO. Have South of Shiloh set up to read next...and I will have read all of Logan's books, most of which I have rated very highly.
Brian
A decent bit of crime-based entertainment, with just enough twists to keep it interesting. Though there were some aspects that stretched by suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

Lee
Logan's debut novel is a real page turner. A loner in upper Minnesota, stumbles into a towns dark secret.
Rose
Pretty good beach book.
Mark
Just Okay vacation read
Anthony Kufner
Anthony Kufner marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Carol Sanders
Carol Sanders marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
JoAnn
JoAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra...more
More about Chuck Logan...
Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3) Homefront (Phil Broker, #6) The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1) After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5) The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)