Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)

Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  927 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In this follow-up to "Guardian of Honor," the Sorcerers of the threatened world of Llandrana must summon an outsider for help. Yet instead of a powerful warrior, grad student Marian Harasta arrives through the portal, unaware of why she was chosen or how she has magical abilities.
Published February 1st 2006 by Luna (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sorceress of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorceress of Faith

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
69th out of 119 books — 134 voters
Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderGraceling by Kristin CashoreLord of the Fading Lands by C.L. WilsonCaller of Light by T.J. ShawThe Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley
Epic Fantasy Romance
143rd out of 211 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

May B
Mar 09, 2011 May B rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Alt Universes and Magic
Shelves: fantasy
I read most of this series out of order but I think this is my favorite of them all. Marian and her hamster Tuck always make me smile. There something a bit more compelling though in the story of the Sorcerers I thought then the Circlets and Marshalls.

I admit that I wasn't sure if she really would choose to stay considering of all the ones I've read she had the most compelling reason to return to earth. And there was that moment with her brother that I totally teared up.

But I was rather frustrat...more
Deanna Roberts
The 2nd in what I guess to be a series of 6 or 7. Where the guardian of honor was a great introduction to the world of Lladrana, this book was an even more poignant illustration of the conflict that each of the 'summoned' must feel when asked to stay in Lladrana or retreat back to Exotique Terre (Earth).

Another thoroughly enjoyable book from Robin D. Owens.
Sattie Basnandan
I really enjoyed this book. Marian is a strong, intelligent and funny person. Even though she is in a different world, doesn't speak the language and is suddenly a sorceress in training, she doesn't come off weak or helpless. I love her intelligence and loyalty to her brother. I especially loved her little hamster, Tuck. While each story focused on the heroine assimilated to Aimee, there is the overarching story of a great evil taking over the planet. It adds adventure and action to the story an...more
pauliree
This was a better installment, but not enough to garner an extra star. I thought Marian was a bit more interesting than Alexa, but I still don't have the connection to this series that I did with the Heartmate series. I think it is that the Heartmate series just has better male leads. The ones from Llandrana are more reactive than proactive.
Jessica
The first book in this series, Guardian of Honor, was good. Interesting premise, nice fantasy elements, some new ideas.

This one...it was okay. But it felt like...a romance novel with a thin veneer of a fantasy novel pasted over it. What happened between the first one and this one? I don't know. But it was just okay.
Holly
This is a DNF (did not finish) for me. Though I love Owens Celta series, this one doesn't work for me. Although the world is interesting, I find I'm unable to look past the strangeness of two women being transported to an alternate universe and not reacting to it at all.

A simple "oh, this is strange" does not suffice when one is sucked through a vortex and into a world with magic and monsters and forced mating and...well, you get the idea. I'm willing to suspend disbelief to a certain extent, b...more
Gardavson
Well. My main prob with this book was that I couldn't connect to Marian. I found her annoying and rather wimpy. I hate it when heroines get credit for doing nothing. That seemed to happen a lot with Marian. I never really got her Power or what benefit it was for anything. Lightening. Whoopie. Now using it for striking monsters, I'd think she would be unstoppable. But she's all squeamish about killing even the monsters. Bleg. Never did get how being sorceress of Faith applied to her. Still, the s...more
Simbo
awesome book!
Kerry
Pleasant addition to Owens' "The Summoning" series. I liked that, unlike Alexa, Marian had a family and a place on Earth and she had to decide between the two. Of course, I'd have been disappointed if she'd made a different choice than she did. Tuck's transformation was neat - and I suspect more meaningful than it seems at first. Liked the tiny bit of time travel too.

[Copied across from Library Thing; 25 September 2012]
Jessica
So far I've dropped it in the tolet and not read the first book but this far it's actually rather good.

I really enjoyed this. Not amazing writing and nothing all that new but a fast, fun read - popcorn book all the way. I'll read the others if I can get my hands on them...for some reason it's really difficult to find these books. None of the book stores in town carry them.
Deborah Gillespie
I love the HeartMates series by Robin D. Owens but wasn't too sure about reading this series as I thought it was more science fiction.

I am happy to say I was quite wrong and glad I decided to go ahead and read this series. As usual Robin Owens does not disappoint. She provides a rich background and a wonderful story.
Barbara
I Like reading about Fantay and The Paranoramal stores, this one did not hit me like other books I have reded in the pass. This book reads like it is for teens. I would not recommond this book to my friends. I would like to read Book 1 to get a better understanding of the book and where it's going.
Jill
I was glad to see Owens come out with a series other than the Celta novels. This is the second in this series and I did not enjoy it quite as much as the first. There were questions that still needed answering, but it's still an enjoyable read.
Samantha
Absolutely love this book...It took me a while to get the other ones in the series but each one is as good as this one. It is a pretty easy read and each one follows similar but different paths.
zjakkelien
A nice sequel to Guardian of Honor. Another woman is summoned to Amee. Like Alexa, Marian finds power and love. An unpretentious romantic fantasy. And love the magic hamster!
Elyndrical
This book was a real struggle to get through. I only continued reading it because I enjoyed the other books in the series and wanted to know Marian's history.
Merrie Harris
Excellent Book!!! I absolutely couldn't put it down and stayed up way late into the night reading it, as I just had to find out how it ended!
Cris
I liked the first book in the series better. This felt more formulaic, and I found the characters less interesting.
Jaime
I liked this book so much better then the first book. It explained so much more about the story then the first one.
Craig
Almost as good as the first book, but I am a magic fan. It was well thought out and everything fell into place.
Holly
Another great book. I could really identify with the heroine. Fun secondary character, too, in Tuck (a hamster).
Nikita Williams
Not a bad second book..not as good as the first but still worth the read, can't wait to see what comes next
Jess
Another great book in the series! I can't wait for the next one in 2009!
Erotic Horizon
Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning, Book 2) by Robin D. Owens (2006)
Kris
Oct 23, 2008 Kris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
I love the hamster........

The series is great.
Steph
Jan 25, 2009 Steph marked it as to-read
From Dorri
Deborah Joyner
A fun read.
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • Song of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • Silver's Edge (Shadowlands, #1)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • The Mage (Sons of Destiny, #8)
  • The Reawakened (Aspect of Crow, #3)
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1) Heart Thief (Celta's Heartmates, #2) Guardian of Honor (The Summoning #1) Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3) Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5)