Start by marking “The Colored Museum” as Want to Read:
The Colored Museum

The Colored Museum

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Colored Museum has electrified, discomforted, and delighted audiences of all colors, redefining our ideas of what it means to be black in contemporary America. Its eleven "exhibits" undermine black stereotypes old and new, and return to the facts of what being black means. " Mr. Wolfe is the kind of satirist who takes no prisoners. The shackles of the past have been de ...more
Published January 12th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Colored Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Colored Museum

Rashaun
The Colored Museum is a series of scenes that depict different characters in each scene as if it were an exhibit to demonstrate what it means to be African American in the United States from slavery until the 1980’s. George C. Wolfe takes the functions of literature to add depth to particular stories in the past giving the reader a new perspective to understanding history.
Shawna
What a fantastic play! It was hysterical, but it also brought to mind some very important issues in African-American history and theatre, as well as American theatre in itself.
Bradley
THERE'S MADNESS IN ME AND THAT MADNESS SETS ME FREE.
Victoria
Black satire at its best. Genius!
Janaya
This addressed some pivotal issue in the Black community specifically, and America as a whole in relation to black culture. One of my favorites from my African American theatre class.
Rachel Linn
Apr 10, 2014 Rachel Linn added it
Shelves: theatre
"Before exiting, check the overhead as any baggage you don't claim, we trash." What a genius last line.
Maya
Fantastic. This play was so daring and it's surprising to see how necessary it still is.
Hannah
Totally sharp, biting, and tight. This script is sadly as relevant today as it was when it was first performed. The variety of settings and characters adds a lot of depth and nuance to the show, but they are all tied together, and they present a complex, contradictory, and challenging look at black identity.
Craig
Nov 17, 2013 Craig rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Provocative, exciting, hilarious...had me thinking how I'd stage it as I read it because it grabbed my imagination and had it running away the whole time I was reading. I was also struck by the Miss Roj section, as it features a black drag queen, reading and snapping away in an evocation of the east coast drag scene, a la "Paris is Burning."
Karli
Clever and smart humor. This play captures blackness on display and under restraint. "It's not everyday a bunch of babies break outta a white egg and start to live."
Jeffrey W.
Definitely recommended to fans of Ishmael Reed's work.
Jenni
Oh memories...of my favorite BTE play.
Robert-anthony Artlet
AMAZING a must read play :)
William Fowkes
William Fowkes is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Glismer
Glismer marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Nikita R
Nikita R marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
paula
paula marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Jasmine Milan
Jasmine Milan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Poingu
Poingu marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • Topdog/Underdog (TCG Edition)
  • Ruined (TCG Edition)
  • Dutchman & The Slave
  • Blood Knot and Other Plays
  • Eurydice
  • Yellow Face (TCG Edition)
  • Fires in the Mirror
  • Slavery and Social Death: A Comparative Study
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • The Blacks
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • Les Blancs: The Collected Last Plays: The Drinking Gourd/What Use Are Flowers?
  • Burn This
Jelly's Last Jam Spunk Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion Invitation to the Party: Building Bridges to the Arts, Culture and Community Porcelain & A Language of Their Own

“c. “So, hunny, don’t waste your time trying to label or define me…’cause I’m not what I was ten years ago or ten minutes ago. I’m all of that and then some. And whereas I can’t live inside yesterday’s pain, I can’t live without it.” 2 likes
“King Kong would have made it to the top if only he had taken the elevator.” 0 likes