Start by marking “The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes” as Want to Read:
The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  789 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Plot synopsis of this classic is made meaningful with analysis and quotes by noted literary critics, summaries of the work's main themes and characters, a sketch of the author's life and times, a bibliography, suggested test questions, and ideas for essays and term papers.
Published October 1st 1984 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

Taylor Dieck
Apr 22, 2008 Taylor Dieck rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
The Catcher In The Rye By J.D. Salinger is an amusing twist of what growing up is all about. Holden is a young man, kicked out of every boarding school he has been to. A sarcastic, and oddly pleasant male seeking to find what adulthood is all about. Only to find that life is about as pleasant as his former roomate Ackley. As he finally decides that boarding school is not part of his plans he heads off to New York. Holding nothing back Holden calls up old friends and the lust of his life that he ...more
Keera
Mar 18, 2009 Keera rated it did not like it
I thought this book was horrible! It was self-indulgent on the authors part, and quite frankly, it was boring. I understand now why killers have this book on hand when they commit their heinous acts - they can't believe they have wasted their time on such crap and must relieve their anger somehow!
Monica Deeeee
Apr 24, 2008 Monica Deeeee rated it it was amazing
This is the only book read in English class that I haven't hated. This book has made me much more jaded, but I think I like that. Holden is really easy to identify with, and because of the book I really want to go to New York in the winter to see the ducks, or not see them...
Jami
Jun 01, 2009 Jami rated it really liked it
Hated this when I read it in high school, loved it in college. The difference? Time, perspective, deep, scholarly discussions, and a greater understanding of Salinger's themes. The language I was able to easily overlook the second time, which was a barrier the first.
Nicole
Jun 21, 2007 Nicole rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, I re-read it every few years.
The last time I read this I was living in NY and it was my
subway read. It was so amazing to read it while I would ride past stops Holden would get off at.
Johanna Lorenzo
May 30, 2009 Johanna Lorenzo rated it liked it
I read this book because I hear it referenced so much and how important it was to American literature. It was a good read, but I am afraid I didn't resonate with it as much as others.
Yi
Apr 30, 2008 Yi rated it liked it
Shelves: sootandsteel
I can see how great this book would have been had I read it 10 years ago. Reading it now, Holden sounds like any other whiny, confused, self-absorbed teenager.
Mikaylah
Apr 27, 2008 Mikaylah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this is now one of my favorite books ever! i recommend it to anyone. i could really empathize with holden, it really was a great book
Jeremy
Jul 17, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it
One of those books you really like but aren't quite sure why. Be aware that it has more cursing than some Tarantino films.
Krys
Apr 24, 2008 Krys rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read
This was a good one - sorry i missed out on it in high school... just that I can't say i agree with the ending
Regina
Nov 08, 2010 Regina rated it it was amazing
hid it between the pages of my geometry book in 1968 so i could read it in study hall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel
Aug 26, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Like it, have read it several times but still can't figure out why it's the great american novel.
Cory
Apr 22, 2008 Cory rated it really liked it
Still as good today as it was yesterday. (Does that make sense?) I love teaching this book.
Amy
Sep 11, 2011 Amy added it
One of my favorites as a teenager. Holden is so easy to imagine as someone you know!
Brian
Apr 24, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
most people read this in high school. i just got around to it last year. a must read!
Camilla Ward
Apr 26, 2008 Camilla Ward rated it really liked it
I read this my junior year of high school and remember really enjoying it.
roni
Apr 28, 2008 roni rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad they can't ruin this book with a movie.
Amy Hariton
Sep 19, 2011 Amy Hariton rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite. Read it in high school.
Danschafer118
Apr 21, 2008 Danschafer118 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book 6 or 7 times. Classic.
Amanda Neal
Yes I read it again, no other book available
Amanda
Jul 31, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Love this and "Nine Stories".
Jess
May 28, 2009 Jess rated it liked it
I'm just not that into it.
Monty James
Apr 21, 2008 Monty James rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites.
Kelly
Apr 22, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok
A little boring...
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Lizhen Gu
Lizhen Gu marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Rob
Rob added it
Nov 26, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
http://www.skinphysiciantips.com/la-lumieres/ 1 1 Apr 11, 2015 02:02AM
  • The Novel: A Biography
  • Literary Theory: A Guide for the Perplexed
  • La Faim du tigre
  • Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  • Modern and Contemporary Irish Drama (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Use of Poetry and the Use of Criticism
  • The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I
  • The Logic of Alice: Clear Thinking in Wonderland
  • Feminisms: An Anthology of Literary Theory and Criticism
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • Principles of Literary Criticism (Routledge Classics)
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • How to Get Suspended and Influence People
  • Drunk on the Wine of the Beloved: Poems of Hafiz
  • Learning to Curse: Essays in Early Modern Culture
  • Edgar Allan Poe: A Critical Biography
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Documentary Journey into Vampire Country and the Dracula Phenomenon