Start by marking “The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes” as Want to Read:
The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Plot synopsis of this classic is made meaningful with analysis and quotes by noted literary critics, summaries of the work's main themes and characters, a sketch of the author's life and times, a bibliography, suggested test questions, and ideas for essays and term papers.
Published October 1st 1984 by Barron's Educational Series

To ask other readers questions about The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catcher in the Rye - Barron's Book Notes

Taylor Dieck
Apr 22, 2008 Taylor Dieck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The Catcher In The Rye By J.D. Salinger is an amusing twist of what growing up is all about. Holden is a young man, kicked out of every boarding school he has been to. A sarcastic, and oddly pleasant male seeking to find what adulthood is all about. Only to find that life is about as pleasant as his former roomate Ackley. As he finally decides that boarding school is not part of his plans he heads off to New York. Holding nothing back Holden calls up old friends and the lust of his life that he ...more
Keera
I thought this book was horrible! It was self-indulgent on the authors part, and quite frankly, it was boring. I understand now why killers have this book on hand when they commit their heinous acts - they can't believe they have wasted their time on such crap and must relieve their anger somehow!
Monica Deeeee
This is the only book read in English class that I haven't hated. This book has made me much more jaded, but I think I like that. Holden is really easy to identify with, and because of the book I really want to go to New York in the winter to see the ducks, or not see them...
Jami
Hated this when I read it in high school, loved it in college. The difference? Time, perspective, deep, scholarly discussions, and a greater understanding of Salinger's themes. The language I was able to easily overlook the second time, which was a barrier the first.
Nicole
One of my favorite books, I re-read it every few years.
The last time I read this I was living in NY and it was my
subway read. It was so amazing to read it while I would ride past stops Holden would get off at.
Johanna Lorenzo
I read this book because I hear it referenced so much and how important it was to American literature. It was a good read, but I am afraid I didn't resonate with it as much as others.
Yi
I can see how great this book would have been had I read it 10 years ago. Reading it now, Holden sounds like any other whiny, confused, self-absorbed teenager.
Mikaylah
Apr 27, 2008 Mikaylah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
this is now one of my favorite books ever! i recommend it to anyone. i could really empathize with holden, it really was a great book
Jeremy
One of those books you really like but aren't quite sure why. Be aware that it has more cursing than some Tarantino films.
Krys
This was a good one - sorry i missed out on it in high school... just that I can't say i agree with the ending
Regina
hid it between the pages of my geometry book in 1968 so i could read it in study hall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel
Like it, have read it several times but still can't figure out why it's the great american novel.
Cory
Still as good today as it was yesterday. (Does that make sense?) I love teaching this book.
Amy
Sep 11, 2011 Amy added it
One of my favorites as a teenager. Holden is so easy to imagine as someone you know!
Brian
most people read this in high school. i just got around to it last year. a must read!
Camilla Ward
I read this my junior year of high school and remember really enjoying it.
roni
I'm so glad they can't ruin this book with a movie.
Amy Hariton
My all time favorite. Read it in high school.
Danschafer118
I've read this book 6 or 7 times. Classic.
Amanda Neal
Yes I read it again, no other book available
Amanda
Love this and "Nine Stories".
Jess
I'm just not that into it.
Monty James
One of my favorites.
Kelly
A little boring...
Olga
Olga added it
Jan 21, 2015
Ali Yaghoobi
Ali Yaghoobi is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
nitish
nitish added it
Dec 26, 2014
Dottie Batiz
Dottie Batiz marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • The Novel: A Biography
  • Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot (Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • Watching Trees Grow
  • Redeemers: Ideas and Power in Latin America
  • In the Middle of the Night: The Shocking True Story of a Family Killed in Cold Blood
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • The Feminization of American Culture
  • From Here To Infinity: An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature (The Modern Scholar)
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Literary Companion Series: One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
  • Screwjack: A Short Story
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • The Cambridge Introduction to Narrative
  • Critical Terms for Literary Study
Sculpture in Stone Renaissance Painting Barron's IELTS Superpack [With 2 Books and 5 CDs] Light and Shadow in Drawing John Steinbeck's the Pearl Book Notes