Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Monster Mess” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Monster Mess

Nate the Great and the Monster Mess (Nate the Great #22)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great loves his mother’s Monster Cookies. But now her Monster Cookie recipe is missing! Nate and his dog, Sludge, get to work. They find lots of clues. But which ones count?
Published September 11th 2001 by Yearling (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Monster Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Monster Mess

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
76th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
138th out of 148 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 3 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Kiana Gerard
Nate the Great and the Monster Mess is about a detective who solves the case of the missing recipe for monster cookies. When I first picked up this book, I thought it was going to be an easy read just by the look of how thin the book looked. I was surprised that the book was longer than I expected. Marjorie Weinman Sharmat writes such wonderful mysteries that help children with problem solving and thinking outside the box. This book is more targeted toward older children ages 8 to 11 years old. ...more
April Smith
In this book the little boy goes on the hunt to find the recipe for his favorite cookies. This is a good book to help children start to get comfortable with chapter books.
Seth
The case was a recipe for monster cookies. Nate's Mom lost it. Rosmand bough a tuna fish yesterday. She wrapped it with the recipe.
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Christy
It is Halloween night and all the kids are dressed in scary and funny costumes.Their Trick or Treat bags are getting heavier.

Nate's good friend Rosamond needs his help.Her cat, Little Hex, is missing.Little Hex hates Halloween, so maybe he's hiding.Or is he lost?Nate and his trusty dog Sludge take the case and hunt in the night for Little Hex.They pass robots, pirates, and
Dolly
Dec 03, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fun mystery to read aloud to children. Nate the Great is an interesting series with odd characters and very blunt, simple narrative.

The mysteries are often simple to figure out and the situations are fairly commmon - like Nate's Mom losing a recipe in this story. Our girls really like this series, but the verdict's still out for me.
Heather
I love everything about Nate the great books except for the mysteries. The characters are funny, and I can always count on lots of pancakes!
Melissa Sommer
This story is about Nate's mom's cookie recipes. Nate's mom Monster Cookie recipe disappears and Nate has to find it with help from his dog, Sludge. I think this is a great book for beginning readers because the chapters are short. I also think the mystery in the book will want young readers to continue reading.
Literacy Group
Nate the Great's mom lost the recipe for her Monster Cookies! Nate is on the case! After making a batch of pancakes, doing some thinking, and searching every nook and cranny of the house and neighborhood Nate finds the recipe on the back of a piece of paper in the end!

Grade 1-4
Heather
Shelley
A favorite. Nate's mother reminds me of myself. Although, I don't think I'd let my 10 year old wander the neighborhood while leaving me a vague note. I do think however my recipes are in the same condition.
Taryn
This book is a really good book it is actully awesome
My favorite characters are Sludge and Annie
i read alot of the other books they were awesome, my 2nd favorite character is Nate's mom
Theresa

Nate the Great and the Monster Mess
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
nate the great is a mystery story about a boy who believes he can solve anything. good early mystery
Kim Miller
Fun book about solving a mystery. Nate is a silly and good hearted boy looking to help out his mother. He solves the mystery, but makes a big mess along the way.
Wesley
I kind of liked it. I like that it's a detective book. I didn't think the subject was very interesting. I didn't like that they slipped on the way to the door.
Thomas Yingling
A great problem solving book. It shows the steps of problem solving and sometimes you have to make mistakes before you can figure it out.
Jaca Long
the book was awesome because nate the great had to help his mother find a recipe for cookies.hmmm!
Tanya
We struggled to engage with this Nate the Great. We have loved some others we read.
Barbara
This one was palatable...lol Ending was cute.
Kenisha Banayos
its amazing but is thier a lesson or moral
Myles
I don't like Nate the Great.
Jake
this book is a good book
Rachel
There so great.
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 20, 2015
Hashimiyyah
Hashimiyyah marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • Mr. Granite Is from Another Planet! (My Weird School Daze, #3)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Horrible Harry and the Dragon War
  • Henny Penny
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • Good Night, Good Knight
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Dark Day in the Deep Sea (Magic Tree House, #39)
  • Don't Swap Your Sweater for a Dog (Roscoe Riley Rules, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Gold Coins (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #5)
  • It's Justin Time, Amber Brown
  • Stuart's Cape
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case