Start by marking “Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great)” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great)

Nate the Great Goes Undercover (Nate the Great #2)

Nate the Great has his first night case! "Detective work is not fun and games," Nate explains. "Detective work is dirty garbage cans instead of clean beds. Detective work is banana peels, dishrags, milk cartons, floor sweepings, cigar ashes, fleas, and me..."

Published March 1st 1989 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1974)

Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Paola
May 02, 2015 Paola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Nate the Great goes Undercover” is the second book of Nate the Great series. This book is about Nate solving a new mystery, who or what is causing a garbage mess outside Oliver’s house. He starts asking suspects. First he talks to Rosamond, for Nate she’s strange. Then he finds Esmeralda asking her some questions, Nate thinks she’s wise and got valuable information to solve the case. He started thinking about what animals could have done this. So Nate hid inside the trash can to find out what i ...more
Miltona 3rd
Mar 10, 2015 Miltona 3rd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about a kid named Nate. He is a detective. And he does lots of different missions. One book is called Nate the great goes undercover it is about Nate trying to find a base from a baseball field that is an octopus when Nate asks the person who owns the octopus(base)When Nate asks he responded I Left it right on my dresser. So Nate looks under his dresser but it wasn't there so he went to the baseball field and looked where the base (octopus) was and he didn’t find it. So he went back to t ...more
Alfreda Morrissey
It is a cute little book. My daughter (6 at the time) who was completely opposed to chapter books agreed reluctantly to listen. She did end up liking it. It was slightly funny with very simple language. The main running gag was the fact that Nate feeds his dog's pancakes.

I would not read these as an adult for my own amusement, but my daughter kind of liked it. I will probably not purchase the rest in the series unless she wants to read them herself.

For reading aloud, there are many more interes
Theresa
Apr 05, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Nate the Great Goes Undercover
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for young boys
Rebecca
Nov 02, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun story. I got a few laughs out of it and definitely thought it was a cute mystery.
Devin A.
Apr 21, 2009 Devin A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i =really enjoy this book because nate always finds something to do no matter what happens
Barbara
Dec 07, 2011 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Corbin
this was proboly one of my favorite nate the great book.
Luke
Aug 03, 2008 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun little book. It was alright.
Alberta Medina
Interest Level: Grades 3-5
Lexile Reading Level: 300L
Nate and his dog are doing their best to find the creature that has been raiding a neighbor's trashcan. A fun read to share with younger readers interested in chapter books or reluctant readers who are interested in mystery. Great for problem solving and critical thinking. One of the many books in the Nate the Great Series with familiar characters for younger readers.
Abbey
Back to Nate's adventures, but this time, the added element of a nighttime investigation and a new sidekick: a dog named Sludge, fellow pancake addict.
Nate is looking for the culprit that keeps tipping over Oliver's trashcans at night. Nate spends some quality time in the library, in a field, and in a garbage can.
Riotous as ever when read in my best Guy-Noir-hardboiled detective voice.
Hope
Jun 08, 2016 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, I felt it to be one of Nate's better books. Nate has to go undercover to discover who has been rooting through Oliver's trash every night. It also introduces Nate's dog, Sludge. Again, a really great Nate the Great book.
Susan
Michael says, "2 stars. I thought it was ok. It was long and I'm tired."

Katelyn says, "5 stars! For one, he is my age. 2nd, I liked how he got sprayed by the skunk. 3rd, I figured out the mystery!"
Karen
Jan 05, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jacob chose this book to read to me for his 15min a day reading time. He was so into it that he asked to finish the book. Of course we did! So sweet to see my son into reading..krb 1/4/16
Kendall
Mar 02, 2016 Kendall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
The boys liked this one even better than the first - the addition of stinky garbage added to it's allure. We'll be continuing on with the third in the series tonight.
Crystal Doolittle
I enjoy this book because I think that the children get pulled into solving the cases with Nate. This book helps children detect and think outside the box on what they think will happen.
Megan Gitter
kind of funny and cute, not much to a background or setting though (where are his parents?)
Geraldine Rahming
Apr 24, 2016 Geraldine Rahming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.. This book is for kids!!!! I only read this book because my daughter had a class report to do...but it was fun reading it with her.. Nate The Great is a nice detective who love to solve mystery....
Kevin Summers
Aug 14, 2016 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Nate climbs into a garbage can to solve a mystery.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fairly typical entry in the Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. This one has him getting into stinky garbage to find out who's tipping over Oliver's garbage can. Interesting, a quick read, and simple sentences for beginning readers. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Grandma
Mar 20, 2014 Grandma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, educational, great reading for kids.
Nehemiah L
Mar 11, 2015 Nehemiah L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a nice book
Jj
Feb 05, 2016 Jj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jcvc
Heidi-Marie
A good read for beginners. Perhaps first grade. Large type, lots of white space, enough pictures throughout to help along with reading. Occasional big words to help the reader feel good, but also enough repeated words to make getting through it easier. And I like that the oh so great Nate still has troubles of his own and admits them. I'm sure the rest of the series is probably good for beginners, too.
Christy
Mar 05, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's a tough case. Somebody is raiding Oliver's garbage can each night, but who? The list of suspects is long--Rosam..
Ayana Mishelle
Nov 13, 2010 Ayana Mishelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
book 80 oages , one of our second grade students had it in his book book. took me a few lunch times to read the book and I read a lot. The book is a series and has short easky sentences and can be used for prediction. The fact that a little boy in our class loved the book may be the what you should go on , he liked the book and I am sure other first or second graders will like it too.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 04, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, easy-reader
Once again Nate the Great is called upon to solve a mystery, this time of who keeps tipping over the neighborhood garbage cans. He has to get right down to the smelly task to find out.

I'm still amazed by the author's strong voice in such a short book. This one got a little silly so I'm calling it more a 4.5 stars then 4. But it was still a fun read and highly recommended.
Clinton Brown
In this book Nate was sleeping so then the phone rong. Then Nate woke up to answer. It was one of his friends he told Nate that he had a problem.then went to his house to see what the problem was he said some has been tipping his trash can over it .Then Nate had a plan he said that he will be in the trash can tonight . Then he herad something it was his dog sludge
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could very well be our favorite in the entire series. Nate faces his first night case. He looks left, he looks right, he looks behind. Left, Right, Behind, BAM! He smacks into a pole. It was right in front of him. The one place he forgot to look. My son never fails to laugh at the last line..."I, Nate the Great, am pooped."
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Write the Book
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue