Start by marking “The Origins of the Modern World: A Global and Ecological Narrative from the Fifteenth to the Twenty-first Century (World Social Change)” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This clearly written and engrossing book presents a global narrative of the origins of the modern world from 1400 to the present. Unlike most studies, which assume that the "rise of the West" is the story of the coming of the modern world, this history, drawing upon new scholarship on Asia, Africa, and the New World, constructs a story in which those parts of the world pla ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 221 pages
Published July 27th 2006 by Rowman & Littlefield (first published February 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Origins of the Modern World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Origins of the Modern World

Otilia
My first question when I put it down was "Why didn't I have to read this in high school?" Clear, easy to read overview of often under-taught [or in US public schools, at least, taught from a perspective that leaves out a lot] parts of world history.
Kaitlyn
I had to read this for school during a period of three days- not cool. I t was hard to follow and only recommended if you have time to take it all in.
Ben Sweezy
Okay so I read this book again in 2009. The most obvious "review" sort of thing I can say is that it really trails off halfway through. When it gets into the 20th century the author ceases to offer anything new or interesting.

Otherwise, it still is pretty effective at getting its point across that China, India, and Europe all basically were at parity in 1700 and only began to diverge from there. He also really doesn't like the British.

I think some of his numbers may be a bit curious, including t
Bryan Schwartz
In the preface to his book, Robert Marks notes that he has “no intention of providing a balanced story, one that spends an equal amount of time (or ink) on anything and everything.” And, indeed, he doesn't. Though Marks is, unlike Geoffrey Parker, upfront in noting the limitations of his short survey, I am not convinced that this declaration afforded him the right to gloss over quite so much material as he does in his short history on the origins of the "modern world".

First, It seemed to me th
John
This book serves its purpose perfectly well, it just isn't something to really recommend as a read. This is for assigning to undergrads and grad students as the first reading in a world or global history class. Marks is attempting to get away from a Euro-centric model of recounting world history; he wants to re-orient world history to the...orient...sort of. He basically is arguing that the Indian Ocean world was the first place where all kinds of cultures came together to trade, and this is whe ...more
Sofia Stenroos
It's an interesting book all right and it's good to get out of the Eurocentric view that he speaks of and see the global Picture instead. The only problem I have is the translation into Swedish. It really isn't THAT good to begin with and it has a lot of misspellings, Words that have their letters in the wrong order and such. The text also doesn't really add up structure wise, you can too often see the English grammar structures as opposed to the Swedish.

I regret that I didn't buy it in English
Bram Hubbell
A concise and engaging short summary of the last 600 years of world history that draws on lots of current and recent research.
Nima
This book offers the best brief overview of world history that I have read to date covering the period of the 1400s to now. It is an eye opener on the extent of peaceful trade and travel occurring for over 500 years in the Eurasian areas, and the development and reasons behind armed trade originating in Europe due to blocked trade routes to the spices in Asia. Reading this book has led me to a number of other good books on trade and travel throughout the Middle East and Asia from 700 through the ...more
Maddy
I good synthesis for a global historical context. I good read for undergraduates and those interested in world history.
Jasmine
The title says it all on what the book's about, and it was a very interesting book, very well written. I really enjoyed reading this book (which is more than I can say about some of the other school books) as the author had a playful tone in his writing while still ramming in facts after facts.

Yeah, this book has been a saviour amongst the others.
Chris
This book is amazing. It is the first time that I was exposed to the whole world outlook on the coming of the modern age, something I have been needing for my next book. Prof. Marks is expert in China and has revealed more about the coming of the modern age than any other author I have read.
Wendy
Jul 14, 2008 Wendy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians
This book was irritating because he spends a lot of time talking about how the world would be different today if a number of coincidences would have not all come together in the 1400's to the 1800's. I agreed with him, but things happened the way they did so who cares?
Elliott
This book isn't that great for World history. It's short, takes a Eurocentric view most of the time, and isn't very detailed. You're better off getting a World history perspective and knowledge reading the McNeill's The Human Web.
Kimberly
it was somewhat interesting in the end, but i found i would get lost several times throughout the rest of the book
but this isn't my sort of book any way (school reading)
Linda
Interesting insights though not nuanced enough to definitively debunk Eurocentrism...
Peg
some interesting sections but i found it a difficult to keep going on this one.
Clear, easy to read. Perfect accompaniment to first year history!
Daniel Erneholm
Daniel Erneholm marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Pablo
Pablo added it
Dec 05, 2014
Michelle Teo
Michelle Teo marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Maiara Oliveira
Maiara Oliveira marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World
  • A Brief History Of The Hundred Years War
  • Joan of Arc: The Image of Female Heroism
  • The War for Muslim Minds: Islam and the West
  • Against Empire
  • From Reliable Sources: An Introduction to Historical Methodology
  • Hunting Evil: The Nazi War Criminals Who Escaped and the Quest to Bring Them to Justice
  • Prisoner of the State: The Secret Journal of Premier Zhao Ziyang
  • Abina and the Important Men: A Graphic History
  • Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
  • What We Say Goes: Conversations on U.S. Power in a Changing World
Diablo: Demonsbane (Diablo, #0) The Origins of the Modern World (World Social Change) China: Its Environment and History (World Social Change) Rural Revolution in South China: Peasants and the Making of History in Haifeng County, 1570-1930 Diablo Archive (Diablo, #0-3)