Start by marking “Out of Sync: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Out of Sync: A Memoir

Out of Sync: A Memoir

Lance Bass tells all about his life, his music, and his sexuality in this candid, compelling memoir.

At sixteen, Lance Bass received a phone call from Justin Timberlake that would change his life forever. Soon after, he left his small-town home in Clinton, Mississippi, to join an emerging musical group called *NSYNC. Two years later *NSYNC was inspiring Beatles-esque mania
Published October 23rd 2007 by Simon Spotlight Entertainment (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Sync, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Sync

Shelley
Oct 25, 2007 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: media
I will not lie, I adored this book. I wonder if it was written like John Barrowman's - his words transcribed and edited into format. Because this was not well enough written to be completely done by a ghost writer, but not badly enough done to just be Lance. *g*

It wasn't nearly as dishy as all of his promo interviews have been, which is sad. And it didn't really give that much new info. I do wonder at what has been cut or was never put in. It was nice having some fan ideas confirmed (JC was the
Sandy Looker
Mar 12, 2008 Sandy Looker rated it did not like it
Yes. I did, indeed, read this "book". And yes, it is, in fact, as bad as you thought it would be...and then some.
Here I thought I'd be getting a juicy, in depth, secret look into the life of Lance, and his fellow NSYNCers, complete with all of the gossip and behind-the-scenes looks at their strange "brotherhood", and all I got was a high school essay on Lance's life story. I felt like the details revealed were on the surface of the surface level. There wasn't one piece of dirt in there that we
Elizabeth Wylder
Oct 27, 2007 Elizabeth Wylder rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
I learned from this book that there's no limit to the number of times an author can use the word "amazing" in a single volume.
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I really liked this book. It felt very real and honest and kind of makes me want to start living life. And its short so he gets right to the point. Talks about his childhood and how he started singing and how he joined NSYNC and all about the crazy fans and atempting his childhood dream of going into space and what if felt like to be gay while in a super popular boy band. He seems like a really nice guy. And he seems devoted to his fans and was heartbroken when NSYNC split up (it was Justin's fa ...more
Jaclyn
Nov 10, 2015 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Candid and entertaining.
Elizabeth
Could have dug deeper

This is the hardest two stars I've ever given a book. It wasn't bad... Not at all. I simply thought it could have delved deeper. I was (and still am) a fan of Lance and NSYNC. Maybe that was my problem. ;) I was the teenybopper girl that read every magazine article, went to every concert, and grew attached to every album.

Reading this book years later as an adult, I was hoping to gain insight on Lance, the guy, that had consumed so much of my preteen focus, only to feel like
Justin
Mar 31, 2008 Justin rated it did not like it
my two favorite passages:

"That truth penetrated my soul like a razor-sharp blade slicing directly through my heart."

and

"...how we had been as fast and high-flying as the luxury jet I was on before we had, at the peak of our success, crashed head-on into the side of a career-stopping mountain called solo stardom."

gold, basstronaut, gold!
Jane Dempsey
Jun 09, 2016 Jane Dempsey rated it really liked it
It's a light, easy-to-read pop memoir, and if you can get through it's frothiness, it does cover a lot of interesting pop culture things from just 15 years ago that still seem a world away; the bubblegum pop late '90s boom and the corruption behind it; being gay in the last few years which that was considered national career-suicide, pre-LGBT rights movement; the 00's attempt at reinvigorating the space program. It checked off a lot of boxes for my pop culture interests, like showbiz drama and i ...more
Shannan
Dec 05, 2012 Shannan rated it liked it
Terrible writing, but who cares? It was a fun inside perspective on the rise and fall of my most loved Boy Band ever.
Lee
Jul 30, 2015 Lee rated it it was ok
I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT COSMONAUTS NOW.
Josh
I'm torn about this book. On the one hand, there were parts that were interesting such as the formation of this band and its battle with their handler, Lou Perlman. On the other hand, too much felt glossed over or written in a very superficial manner. Over the years I have heard Lance Bass described as a nice Southern gentleman. That may be a nice compliment, but it does not translate well into an autobiography. Bass provides no real depth into his struggles with his sexuality, his first sexual ...more
life's a fairy tale
Dec 29, 2011 life's a fairy tale rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
So its hard to rate this book because I'm a huge *NSYNC fan.

So the actual book.... I thought time wise it was ALL over the place. I guess being such a big fan I was surprised to discover how much I actually already knew. In fact, not much of the book was new information. There were a number of parts that could have gotten so juicy but just stopped as if to not reveal any "good" information.

This book left me sad. I feel like they abandoned their fans and the entire group ended up being a sham fo
Rochelle Medrano
Mar 06, 2013 Rochelle Medrano rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
* -- This is my first time to read a memoir. Remembered back then that I was a fan of *NSYNC's songs but not a huge fan of the members (since internet wasn't invented yet) I wasn't also able to know them individually.

Was amazed of Lance's story. Also inspired by the life he lived throughout his teenage years, by living his dreams until he grew up, by facing the crowd to be free from the sexuality pressure and by the love of his fans to him and his unending love to his fans, friends and family.
Heather
Aug 03, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
It was inevitable that I would eventually pick up this book. I was (and still am) a big *NSYNC fan, and a bigger Lance fan. As much as I already knew, I was interested to hear everything from Lance's POV. Honestly, I was impressed with his honesty, and I was pleased to see that he didn't spill the beans on any of the other members of the band. That's not what this book was ever supposed to be about. Honestly, for a "memoir" written by a member of a "boy band", I thought that this was a great rea ...more
Jdetrick
I think that Lance Bass actually does have an interesting story to tell....it's sad that this book doesn't tell it. Well, that's not technically true. The book dutifully covers the important events of his life, but it's very superficial and not told in an interesting way. I would have enjoyed a deeper look into how he was affected by his experiences and what was going on in his head. Ultimately, the book is unsatisfying.
Holly Jolly
May 02, 2016 Holly Jolly rated it liked it
I thought it was...Eh. I didn't love it or hate it. I am not a fan of Bios but I thought that, being a huge N'SYNC fan, i was old enough and mature enough to handle reading about their breakup. It was time.
And it still hurt. I thought I would never make it through the first half of the book. Again, i didn't love it or hate it. I am just emotionless about it. Sorry LB! I love you still!
Devin Tait
Oct 14, 2008 Devin Tait rated it liked it
While it was entertaining to read what went on behind the scenes during N*Sync's rapid rise to fame - even though I wasn't particularly a fan - I felt that many details were left out, and the pace of the book moved so fast that sometimes it felt like I was reading a summary rather than a novel.
Especially disappointing was the lack of real details that Lance was willing to reveal about his personal life, giving only broad hints and changing people's names, etc. All in all, it felt too much like h
Tiff
Mar 07, 2011 Tiff rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
I really wanted to hear Lance's story but the writing, even the introduction, was so poor that sometimes I wasn't sure I could finish it. I know that this was Lance's voice and his words but it really needed some polishing. If the timeline had been more clear and some of the awkward phrasing had been cleaned up (and the exclamation marks removed) the book would have been much better.

Despite all of the issues with the writing and the disjointed way the story was told I did feel that I had a more
Holly
Aug 28, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, non-fiction
I was such a huge fan of *NSYNC (and I still am) so of course I had to read this book. I knew a lot of the information that was in the book since I was such a huge fan so if you were a big fan and knew a lot of background stuff about the group and the guys you probably won't find too many things in here that you already didn't know.

One thing that I got from this book was my love of Justin went down. He was always my favorite of the group and he just made me really mad when I read this.

I recommen
Lielabell
Oct 30, 2013 Lielabell rated it liked it
I have gained a great deal of respect for Lance Bass after reading this book. He doesn't have a bad word to say about anybody... even people who certainly deserve it.

Three stars because the book, while being a wonderful character study of Lance Bass, is not the best example of modern writing. It's an incredibly easy read though, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has and interest in Lance Bass, *NSYNC, or would like to spend a few hours enjoying a sunshine and roses approach to t
Tiffany
Oct 28, 2008 Tiffany rated it liked it
I put this book on my wish list for my birthday partly as a joke and partly because it was Lance's book and I thought I might like reading it.

I finished it in a day (its only 192 pages in medium print) but I had to stop before Chap. 5 because I knew that would be the space chapter. The following would be the end of the group. If you're an oldschool 'NSYNC fan, the book will be a trip down memory lane for you. Read it. It won't take long and its good for nostalgia.
Tara Calaby
Dec 18, 2008 Tara Calaby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: *NSYNC fans
Well, Lance certainly isn't a writer. I think I went into this hoping that it'd be an important GLBT piece of writing but, of course, it isn't. It reads a lot like the silly teen biographies of *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys that I have, and doesn't go much further beneath the surface than those did. Still, fans of *NSYNC and Lance in particular will probably enjoy hearing some of the facts from the horse's mouth, and it doesn't stray too far into kiss & tell territory.
Coen
Jun 11, 2009 Coen rated it liked it
I think it's hilarious that I picked up this book. Ya know, it wasn't bad, either. I had a good time reading it. Learned some things about Nsync and the Backstreet Boys. I learned a lot about the industry and how it all works. I never would have really thought about it. It really gives you an inside look at Nysnc and most of all Lance. I never knew about his space experiences or the story of how Nysnc finally came to fall apart. Really interesting.
Rachel
Apr 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Everyone who knows me, knows I love pop music. I was a huge NSYNC nerd and Lance was my favorite.

This was almost too clean for my expectations, I'd probably enjoy any of the other guys from the band more so than this.

That being said, 14 year old Rachel is very content
Auntkel
Apr 29, 2008 Auntkel rated it it was amazing
If you like *nsync as much as i do you'll love this book. Lance acutally tells us quite a bit that happened in his personal life. What surprised me was how he was able to keep his homosexuality a secret from the other guys so long. Oh and by the way you guys Lance is a singer and a dancer not an author or an English major so if you expected it to be brilliantly written, im not surprised you were dissappointed.
Kim
Aug 10, 2011 Kim added it
I found this book really interesting, I think mainly because I am an N SYNC fan. I enjoyed reading about what actually happened in their lawsuit with Lou Pearlman and how they bounced back from that. Also, about how Lance actually got the Astronaut gig and what really went down in why he was unable to go to space. I thought it was a good read and an easy read finished in less than a day.
Erin
Oct 29, 2007 Erin added it
Yes, his prose is pretty bad, but his stories are actually very interesting. It's fun to get an inside look at how a famous boyband got screwed out of all of their money, and how Bass had to hide his sexuality and play it straight through all of his success. The writing is clunky with overwrought metaphors. But the book is a fun, light, and very quick read (only 195 pages!).
Tonya
Mar 14, 2013 Tonya rated it liked it
I love Lance, and I am so proud of all that he has accomplished. Makes this Mississippian proud. I just wanted more from this book. Not more dirt, more depth. It felt like a conversation that one would have with a friend of a friend - they know you know about them, and they just tell you the same things you know, but with a few nuggets of personalization in the stories.
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2009 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Lance always was my favorite member of *N Sync so I was very excited to read this book. While Lance tended to repeat himself a lot, the book was a very easy read and you felt as if you were just sitting down with a friend talking as you read the book. I definitely think you should read it if you are or ever were an *N Sync fan! I love you Lance! Keep on rockin' on!
Jess Scott
Apr 26, 2012 Jess Scott rated it really liked it
wasn't a super hardcore nsync fan, though something about the writing style piqued my interest (along with the small set of selected photographs in the center of the book "throughout the band's career"). this memoir was short and sweet (i don't mean that in a sarcastic way--as in, it was succinct and not "rambling" disjointedly all over the place!).
  • Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music in Your Life
  • Here's What We'll Say: Growing Up, Coming Out, and the U.S. Air Force Academy
  • Mental:
  • Masked Destiny
  • The Best Little Boy in the World Grows Up
  • High School Confidential: Secrets of an Undercover Student
  • Running for My Life: My Journey in the Game of Football and Beyond
  • How the Homosexuals Saved Civilization: The Time and Heroic Story of How Gay Men Shaped the Modern World
  • Me
  • Sunday Money: Speed! Lust! Madness! Death! A Hot Lap Around America with Nascar
  • Over Our Dead Bodies:: Undertakers Lift the Lid
  • Queer 13: Lesbian And Gay Writers Recall Seventh Grade
  • The Last Days of Dead Celebrities
  • The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness
  • Your Heiress Diary: Confess it All to Me
  • Ordinary People
  • Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived
  • It's Not About Perfect: Competing for My Country and Fighting for My Life
James Lance Bass, best known as Lance Bass, is an American pop singer, actor, film and television producer, and author. He grew up in Mississippi and rose to fame as the bass singer for the American pop boy band 'N Sync. 'N Sync's success led Bass to work in film and television. He starred in the 2001 film On the Line, which his company, Bacon & Eggs, also produced. Bass later formed a second ...more
More about Lance Bass...