Start by marking “Marco's Millions (Marco's Millions #1)” as Want to Read:
Marco's Millions (Marco's Millions #1)

Marco's Millions (Marco's Millions #1)

When Marco's shy and fragile little sister, Lilly, tells him about the strange lights in the basement, he thinks she's imagining things. But Marco is curious, and before long he investigates. He finds a passage into a strange world, where he meets insect-like creatures who seem to know all about Lilly. They believe she is special and beg Marco to bring her to them so that ...more
Published October 14th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published June 4th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Marco's Millions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marco's Millions

Frank rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2008
May 13, 2008 techno rated it it was amazing
This book was very good all the action of the tunnel and the bright lights.It is a little sad about the cost of the doctor bill.The disaperance of the mothers sister.That is realy shocking about the incident that took place when the mother's sister came up missing.
Nov 05, 2008 Rachel rated it did not like it
Okay, so it wasn't that good. I don't like the ending, and practically the plot. I don't really think its that good. I don't recommend you read it.
Forrest Filetti
Oct 01, 2009 Forrest Filetti rated it it was amazing
I stated reading The Boxes before I realized it was the sequel so I put it down and started reading this. It was great!! Strange. But I loved it!
John Van
Jul 16, 2010 John Van rated it it was amazing
This is one of Sleator's more personal works, as it references Thai culture and familial character development more than ideas of physics. The story left me utterly saddened but touched by the strength of love that reaches beyond this universe.
Dec 20, 2010 Emm rated it did not like it
Ruby Converse
Sep 16, 2011 Ruby Converse rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time when I was ten, and it was so amazing - I handed it to a friend seven years later, and one of the first things we say to each other now is," Have you eaten yet?"

I love the relationship between Marco and Lily, especially/ As a child who liked to curl up in blanket forts and pretend I was hiding in The Wardrobe, waiting to go to Narnia, I loved the passageway to the other dimension or world, whatever it was.

Some people don't seem to understand that this is a pre
Dayna Smith
Feb 09, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-horror
Lilly sees things and knows things before they happen. She tells her brother Marco that she sees strange lights in the basement. Marco discovers the lights lead to another dimension filled with strange creatures who want Lilly's help to save their universe and ours as well. Marco agrees to aid them in Lilly's place. Will he succeed? What will this help cost Marcos and his family?
Kelsey Williams
Dec 14, 2011 Kelsey Williams rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids who enjoy science fiction
Shelves: books-i-own
I started this book with the expectation of hating it once I was done. I was pleasantly surprised. I bought this book at a used bookstore as part of a bundle of science fiction books. I misread the label on the bundle, and somehow managed to think that "young readers" meant "young adult". I desperately needed something to read at the gym while biking for forty five agonizing minutes, and I was a little disappointing when I realized that the book wasn't quite on my reading level.
I ended up lovi
Jan 29, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
I remember reading this ages ago.. I loved it, too, and I'd read it over and over again. I found the time relativity concept to be really interesting, and always had a thing for other worlds.
I love time travel. And I love William Sleator. And I love Marco. So, naturally, I love this book.

Slow beginning, but once you get into it it's impossible to put down. I had to force myself to slow down near the end so I wouldn't miss anything important.

Full review:
Douglas Larson
Jan 19, 2014 Douglas Larson rated it liked it
Another one of Sleator's interesting and somewhat compelling story lines.

Its the story of Marco, a 12-year old boy and his two sisters, one older and one younger. Marco and his older sister discover that in the basement of their house, is a portal to another dimension and world where time travels much slower and is filled with strange and intersting creatures.

What I didn't like about this book, is the twist ending. While the main character triumphs in his task in the other dimension, that victor
This is another book from off my classroom library shelf. I chose it because we'd read a fascinating short story by the author in our reading anthology, and I was hoping for an equally interesting read. Marco's younger sister Lilly claims she can see a strange tunnel in the basement of their home. Marco and she are very close, so he decides to investigate. He discovers a passage into another world, where a Singularity appears to have control. The inhabitants of this mysterious world need a human ...more
Aug 26, 2012 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was... Eight, Nine...? Ten? I can't remember for the life of me. I've read it at least a million times during those years. It still stays in my memory as one of the best books I've read in my childhood. Even after those five years since I've last read it, I'm still extremely fond of Marco's Millions.

I was absolutely depressed when I lost it. I spent WEEKS, burrowing through boxes, looking through shelves, looking under beds... but with no luck. It stuck in my mind all th
Yang126 rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2012
Jan 11, 2013 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: sf
Book was probably better than as I rated it -- it was written for high school level (or younger) -- not senior adult, so didn't really catch my imagination.
May 31, 2013 Collin rated it liked it
Definitely not my favorite Sleator book, but still good. I loved the ending. Can't wait to read The Boxes.
Kate Brown
Jun 06, 2015 Kate Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I always enjoy William Sleator books for the simple fact that his ideas are so original for the sci-fi and horror genres. "Marco's Millions" is not my favorite Sleator book, but I was also reading it while passing a kidney stone so my opinion and mood was painfully impacted. The premise is a boy named Marco loves to explore and is constantly traveling on subways and busses to see different parts of his city. When his younger sister, Lilly shows him a mysterious portal in their cellar, he is eage ...more
I've always loved Sleator's ability to take a valid idea from science and spin a completely fantastical tale around it. I can't remember when I first read this book, but it was fascinating again this time as well.
Sep 19, 2013 Joseph rated it it was amazing
I've read this book ages ago, and all I can think is the mark that it has left on me. I loved the adventure Marco embarked upon, and how he finally got his lifetime wish of being able to travel multiple universes. The most amazing, but troubling thing is the way that as Marco gets deeper into his adventure, the horrible price of separation and alienation becomes ever more clear. What's so beautiful is the way their love for each other spans across the void. The ending had me in tears, and still ...more
Ryan rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Diana Welsch
Jul 28, 2015 Diana Welsch rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is some of Sleator's best work. I really loved the imagery of Marco approaching the singularity and time slowing down and gravity getting stronger, and how he was able to see the days flash by in the town in the distance. Really unforgettable.

Like any William Sleator book, the characterization is nothing to write home about, but the sci-fi concepts were stellar.
The Ultimate Book Guy
May 22, 2014 The Ultimate Book Guy rated it it was amazing
I think this book is amazing! The character makes smart decisions in the story and this story has a lot of action! It is very cool how time alters in this book, including going in and out of dimensions. Very good read for kids that love science fiction and want to get out of this world in reading! Very addicting and fun book! Perfect!
Braydon Rist
Aug 29, 2014 Braydon Rist rated it really liked it
This book was awesome the action the drama really had me on the edge of my seat , I recommend reading it.
Feb 05, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
i used to find this book to be extremely creepy, but i loved it. i never got to read the other books in the series- mostly because i didnt know it was part of a series- but would definitly pick up reading it again if given the chance.
Oct 25, 2015 Mikayla rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much till the end. The book had a strange way of ending where it just stopped.
Cesar Hernandez
May 15, 2016 Cesar Hernandez rated it liked it
It might be a book for kids well below my age but I just had to finish this one since I had read the second book without even realizing it wasn't the first one in the series. The book is good and it was a nice plot having portals. But frankly, it is kinda... Weird for a read if your a kid or teen, since this book is a little on the dark side
Keagen Grass
Mar 07, 2016 Keagen Grass rated it it was amazing
good book
Jul 25, 2016 SraPanadera rated it it was ok
Interesting plot and col physics, but it reads like the outline for, or abridged version of a much longer novel.
Benn Allen
Oct 02, 2016 Benn Allen rated it it was ok
One of my favorite novels is William Sleator's "House of Stairs". I've read it like three times over the years. But it never occurred to me to look up any other books by Sleator. Mostly because I thought "Stairs" was a fluke, that is, Sleator rarely wrote science fiction and HoS was the only one he ever worked in that genre. While at a local thrift store, I happened to see a copy of this book, "Marco's Millions" and after reading the blurb on the back of the book, seeing it was yet another sf no ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Book about two brothers and lights [s] 5 23 Feb 27, 2014 08:59AM
What's The Name o...: Marco's Millions [s] 2 20 Sep 19, 2013 07:09PM
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
  • The Outside Shot
  • Inside UFO 54-40 (Choose Your Own Adventure, #12)
  • There and Back Again
  • Beowulf: Dragonslayer
  • Uptown Local and Other Interventions
  • Smart Dog
  • Living Hell
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Cage of Eden 2
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
  • Alive: The Final Evolution, Volume 1
  • 40 Acres and No Mule
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • Demon Down (Xoe Meyers, #4)
  • Discordia: The Eleventh Dimension
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2006
William Warner Sleator III was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland on February 13, 1945, and moved to St. Louis, MO when he was three. He graduated from University City High School in 1963, from Harvard in 1967 with BAs in music and English.

For more than thirty years, William Sleator thrilled readers with his inventive books. His House of Stairs was named one of the best novels of the twentieth cent
More about William Sleator...

Marco's Millions (2 books)
  • The Boxes (Marco's Millions #2)