Start by marking “Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major (Adrian Mole #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major (Adrian Mole #1-3)

Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major (Adrian Mole #1-3.5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  673 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major brings together the three best selling volumes of Adrian Mole's diaries for the 1980s - The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4, The Growing Pains of Adrian Albert Mole and True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole - with Adrian's previously unpublished diaries for 1989 and 1990. For the first time between the covers of one book, these are...more
Published August 1st 1991 by Methuen Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
256th out of 1,266 books — 1,736 voters
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyDracula by Bram StokerGriffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock
Epistolary Fiction
284th out of 318 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Bivisyani Questibrilia
When I picked it up at the library, I really wasn't expecting to find such an intriguing read. I didn't even know that Adrian Mole was a successful series in the '80s. The whole time I was reading it, I think it reminds me a hell of a lot of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, although, of course, much more mature and the story doesn't really focus on Adrian's school life. I must say, most of the time I was fighting not to let my palm meet my face - also known as the case of the face-palm - because a lot of t...more
Joe
Jul 10, 2011 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joe by: Sorrel Tilley
Separated into four parts - The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4, The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole, The True Confessions of Adrian Mole and Adrian Mole and the Small Amphibians - the quality and tone sort of leaps wildly when you hit the halfway point and finish Growing Pains.

I really enjoyed the first two books, which - given the abrupt ending of Secret Diary, and immediate succession of Growing Pains - really feels as if they should be just one book anyway, as they cover the teenage yea...more
Emily
Of "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4" I wrote: Adrian Mole, precocious British teenager, self-professed intellectual, and diarist tells us of his trials and tribulations during the last part of his 13th and all of his 14th year. His musings are funny, sweet, and ultimately poignant. In this first edition of the series, we follow him through his decision to become an intellectual, his parents separation and reunification, and his tumultuous first love affair with one Pandora Braithwai...more
BoekenTrol
Dec 26, 2011 BoekenTrol rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: monalisaa
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Philosoraptor
Another from the "Favorite Book Roundabout".
I've already read the first book of three, I think I'll skip that one. The second and third will be read soon.

I am not very fond of this book. Whe part one was okay (see my review of that book), the second and third book were not. I already said that I just can't place myself into the mind of a teenage boy and found it also very hard to read book 2 and 3. The tone of the books did not change, he is still whining, getting worked up about futilities.
T...more
Graceann
Apr 05, 2010 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Humour fans
Shelves: humor
This collection from Sue Townsend is comprised of Adrian Mole's exploits from the very beginning through the end of the Wilderness Years, with extra bits thrown in for good measure. Precocious and dramatic, Adrian is surrounded by a world that is at a loss as to how to deal with him. His ignorance of his own ability to rub people the wrong way veers wildly between hilarious and infuriating.

By the time you get to the end of The Wilderness Years, something special happens. Adrian is finally start...more
Allie
Adrian Mole is a...interesting character. He seems to think he's thr best thing on earth and no one else can possibly live up to him. Ever. And while some books I've enjoyed in the past have VERY annoying characters, at least those characters had a purpose or a trait that made them likeable, despite their failings. Adrian is just annoying. The book is funny - on every page I was, at the very least, chuckling to myself. But that's all the good about it. A clever idea maybe, but the characters wer...more
Reena
Es una compilacion de los tres primeros libros + Small amphibians. Solo lei este ultimo.
Lindsay Nichols
Originally I was just going to pick this up and read sporadically. Then I rediscovered what a complete git Adrian Mole is. Self absorbed and totally hilarious!

The first part - The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 - is, by far, the best and funniest part of the whole collection. But there are definitely some great moments in the later diaries as well. He never grows out of his childhood obsessions - Pandora, terrible poetry, the fact that he is obviously an intellectual.

Reading Adrian's d...more
Susan
This book is charming and hilarious, provided you Like That Sort of Thing. There are a lot of references to British politics and culture in the 1980s, so a lot of American readers might be a little at sea with this one. I've re-read this book about a billion times; I find it comforting if I'm sick or otherwise distressed. For readers who enjoy dry British wit and plenty of silliness, this is an excellent read.
Michelle Wardhaugh
The humor fell off for me about the last quarter. The ignorance, self-absorbtion, and self-delusion that can be amusing in the young teen become sad and irritating in the young adult. He never improves, learns, or matures in the roughly ten years the "diaries" continue. The idea that there are many young men in real life equally frozen in adolescent development is too depressing to make me laugh.
Marti
Years ago I had read at least part of this book, so it was good to revisit it. I am not sure how accurate the author is at portraying a boy growing up, but it is amusing. Pandora is an interesting character--well, most of the ones in the story are. The part I felt was weak was when Adrian went to Russia with Pandora's father--it was rather sketchy, I thought. All in all, it is an enjoyable read.
Rachel
I love these books. Hadn't read any for years but came back and reread them. There's something immensely comforting about them. I like the recognition of news and events from years ago.

Worryingly I sympathese with AM and understand where he's coming from at times! Uh-oh.

Just need to get hold of The Wilderness Years and I'll be up-to-date with all.
mairywo
This was the very first English book I bought and read from start to finish when I was about 14. Being a diary by a teenager it is an easy way to start out in a foreign language. And I still like it, I actually read it again a few years ago and saw new things that I didn't understand the first time. It's very funny and entertaining book, not only for teenagers.
Kerstin
I loved the first book, laughed almost every page and even read some of it out to nearby 'victims'. The second book was a great sequel, by the third I wasn't really that sure anymore because his diary just became more frequent...but then, that's probably realistic. As I didn't grow up in England, this was a fun insight actually.
Sandeep
Ah, good fun. A bit runny in places, but what I like most about this is Adrian's poetry. It really is very good. For most part, a bildungsroman about a loser kid from a hilariously dysfunctional home, but quite funny at times. As I said, good timepass fun.
Lesley Thomson
Laughed out loud on my first reading of this book some years' ago. Now going for the second read and the jokes are just as, if not more funny. Very sad that Sue Townsend is no longer with us, but her legacy lives on. Great reading for holidays.
Justin Rees
as stated in my review of the first book alone, a riveting read, hilarious, and a must for everyone who loves to laugh until it hurts. I cannot wait to get back into reading the series.
Tineke
Didn't find it as funny as other people. Had one chuckle throughout all three books. Perhaps because I'm not British? I didn't hate it though, I just felt indifferent.
Ebony
Very funny, at times sad, and at times provokes one to feel like reaching in the book and smacking the character upside the head...
Karen
This is my go-to book when I have nothing to read. I must have read it 5 times. I still laugh out loud at the funniest bits. So great!
Sadie-jane (sj) alexis nunis
loved the 1st 2 books but felt that true confessions and amphibians didnt add much to the stories... cant wait to start on cappuccino...
Thato
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. Would read it over and over and still be guaranteed laughter and stitches.
Sue outdid herself. Brilliant work.
My favourite book as a child; my copy is so worn and dogeared, I'm seriously considering buying another and starting again!
Leanora
LOVED this book; didn't know there were more of them so definitely going to have to check them out.
Sally
Adrian Mole is of course wonderfully funny, but I enjoyed him more as a younger than when he grew older.
Yvonne Brown
Okay although cant take to Adrian as a character. Easy to read though and funny in parts.k
Sabur76
A collection of books rather than an individual book. I already read the books, darnit.
Sharad
I love it ..its so hilarious & funny, now tats what good books are about ! A BIG SMILE
Amy
These are fun, easy to read books. Not just for teens!
Meda
The second time was not as funny as the first time
  • The 100 Most Pointless Things in the World
  • Bloodbrothers
  • Camere separate
  • The Planetarium
  • Rory & Ita
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • A Misalliance
  • The Kremlin Device (Geordie Sharp, #3)
  • The Bachelors

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend was a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She has suffered from diabetes for many years,...more
More about Sue Townsend...
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1) The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole, #2) Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5) The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)