Start by marking “The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)” as Want to Read:
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  10,617 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
At sixteen, Adrian Mole's life continues to be nothing but a set of tragic circumstances: His tempestuous relationship with an alluring schoolmate tortures him, while his intellectualism continues to be ignored by the British press. Despite it all he remains as agonizingly funny as ever in this, the second of his diaries.
Published August 19th 2003 by HarperTeen (first published 1984)

Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Aug 27, 2012 Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic) rated it really liked it
HAHAHA! So funny! I may have laughed manically several times (in public) and gained worrying looks from observers but I couldn't help it! Seriously, SO FUNNY.
Jana
Jul 05, 2015 Jana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglophile
Oh Adrian. You are every bit as funny at 15-1/2 as you were at 13-3/4.

Here are just a few samples of Adrian's diary:

Sunday May 9th
Mother's Day (USA & Canada)
I have just realized that I have never seen a dead body or a real female nipple. This is what comes of living in a cul-de-sac.

Friday August 6th
Sent Pandora a postcard:
Dear Pan,
The sun came out on Wednesday, but it didn't reach into the black despair caused by our separation. It is a cultural desert here.
Achab_
Jul 02, 2011 Achab_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun fun fun. Looking forward to the weekend next book! :-)
Agne
Adrian Mole grew on me. I cannot describe this book (and the series in general) more perfectly than New York Times did: The Adrian Mole Diaries is "as sad and devastating as it is laugh-out-loud funny!"

Oh, and I LOVE the audiobook narration by Nicholas Barnes!
Anna Janelle
Jul 14, 2012 Anna Janelle rated it liked it
But, I actually want to give this book 3.75 stars without rounding it up to four - so three it is.

So, Adrian Mole, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, but quickly because my laptop is dying and I can't muster the energy to go upstairs and get my charger. Yes, it has come to this. I'm THAT wiped out tonight.

1. You are hysterical. Flat out awkward, whiny, obnoxious, pretension and endearing.
2. Your family-situation is completely effed. I love that your parents show disdain for you. I love
Graceann
Apr 26, 2009 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sue Townsend Fans, Fans of British Humor
Shelves: humor
Please see my detailed review at Amazon Graceann's "Growing Pains of Adrian Mole" Review"

Second entry in the hilarious Adrian Mole series. He's coming up on age 16 now, and still as angst-ridden as he was in the first book. This is so accurate. I'm not SO far away from my own teen years that I'm not able to recognize the behavior as my own at that time. Very witty and all the more surprising as it comes from an adult woman writing about the feelings of a teenage boy. Genius. My only caveat is th
Alex
May 31, 2017 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Just as wonderful as the first. Actually made me laugh out loud at seceral points, which is something not many books manage to do.
Juwi
May 28, 2014 Juwi rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!

so adrian mole is back again..the intellectual trying to decide whether he should or shouldn't do is 'o levels' and how he feels about his mum being pregnant (HE DID NOT REALISE UNTIL SHE ACTUALLY SAID I AM PREGNANT OMG)

his observations are the best. his comments on politics and oh his poetry that he sends to the BBC...he is just absolutely hilarious.

his on and off relationship with the pretentious snob pandora and omg BERT BAXTER AND QUEENIE. =(

if you enjoyed the firs
Nov 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2013
There are very few books that can really make me laugh out loud but Adrian Mole does it every time. This is a re-read but I originally read it before my days on Goodreads since there is no review here. I honestly think Adrian is one of the greatest characters ever created and his early diaries are particularly funny because he is just so naive yet thinks of himself as the most intellectual 15 year old that ever lived. I can't give Adrian any less than 5 stars. Perhaps this book is flawed but I'm ...more
Radka
Oct 21, 2012 Radka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
První dva díly moleovské ságy mám hodně ráda (tenhle víc). Když jsem je četla ve "třinácti a tři čtvrtě", bavila jsem se hlavně lapáliemi hlavního hrdiny, zpětně jsem pak deníky docenila i jako zdroj nejrůznějších humorných poznatků a pozorování z prostředí thatcherovské Británie. Pod jejich vlivem jsem se opakovaně pokoušela nějaké deníky sama psát, první začínal nějak takhle: "Dnes jsem vrátila lístek na oběd a šla si do papírnictví koupit tenhle deník."
Peter Pinkney
Feb 19, 2016 Peter Pinkney rated it it was amazing
Stuck at work on twelve hour nights, this is the perfect antidote to them. Must be about the fifth time I've read this book. Still hilarious and full of wise wisdom. Sue Townsend takes a scalpel to cut open our rotten society. Funny, serious, and full of pathos.
Anton Shanaurin
Nov 05, 2015 Anton Shanaurin rated it liked it
Не уму, не сердце. Далёк я от страданий низшего среднего класса Англии начала восьмидесятых годов прошлого века. Наверное, и не имеет смысла читать дальше...
Davida Terry
Aug 21, 2016 Davida Terry rated it did not like it
funny
Abigail Carter
Nov 21, 2015 Abigail Carter rated it liked it
(3.5 stars)
Svetlana Jovanovic
Sep 28, 2015 Svetlana Jovanovic rated it really liked it
Read it in about two days. Funny :-)
Hisham Slamet
Feb 12, 2016 Hisham Slamet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole was a funny book. This make me laugh.
Helda
Apr 13, 2015 Helda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
its a funny story i swear.
Svetlana
May 07, 2017 Svetlana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-top
Читает:
«Сенсация» какой-то тетки Ивлин Во – Аргентина на грани конфликта с Британией.
«Тихий Американец» Грэма Грина – приезжал американец Хэмиш.
«Счастливчик Джим» Кингсли Эмиса – весь день провел с Пандорой.
«Жестокое море» какого-то Николаса – ездили на Гибралтар смотреть природу.
«Свадьбы на Троицу» Филипа Ларкина – ждал чека от соц.службы
«Повелитель мух» Голдинга – заставили читать в школе.
«С любовью к вам, Сэр» - испытывал эмоциональную отверженность по причине рождения сестры Рози
«В дороге» К
Deanna
Apr 13, 2017 Deanna rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed this slightly less than the first in the series, I can't demote it to 3 stars. Adrian is a little older and accordingly slightly less charming in the way of bumbling youth. Not that we would call him charming, but it is the reluctant but genuine embrace of this character despite how difficult he can be for his fellow characters, and sometimes the reader, to tolerate, that is a good part of the magic of the stories. Just like in real families.

The life problems and illustrated soc
Zizeloni
Jan 05, 2017 Zizeloni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
readathon17 Book 1: A book from an author that died from 2012 and after (Sue Townsend died in 2014) - Female author

I correctly decided to start the readathon with something simple and pleasant. Adrian Mole is a sure choice. Written in diary form and sent in England in the 80s. He is a funny boy, although sometimes you will want to punch his parents,
Mansoor Nazeer
Jun 26, 2017 Mansoor Nazeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every page of every book in the Adrian Mole Series glows with Sue Townsend's nonchalant genius. It can take a reader years to understand how dark and profoundly saddening the comedy of Mole's strange and lonely life is. These deceptively light, and light-hearted, books form some of the most valuable and unsettlingly truthful documents of human life.
Amy Feldman
May 28, 2017 Amy Feldman rated it really liked it
Very funny -- thoroughly enjoyable quick read!
Ritva
Jun 23, 2017 Ritva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was as funny as the first one in the series.
UnionReader
Jun 22, 2017 UnionReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book

I can't get enough of the Adrian Mole books. Funny, warm, charming. I could go on and on. Read these books, you won't regret it.
Lauren J
Jun 25, 2017 Lauren J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished re-reading this - as an audio book by Audible this time. Brilliant. Still very funny after all these years.
Amouri Edwards
Mar 12, 2017 Amouri Edwards rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book is not better than the first one, but it's still very good. I love that Adrian continues to deal with teenage as well as family problems, such as pregnancy (no, Adrian does not get pregnant, haha) and relationships. Read the first book first!
Nick
Oct 10, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it
A good funny continuation of the story, Adrian is an interesting character and his life a bit of a mess but it makes for a good read.

Clare Grové
Mar 15, 2017 Clare Grové rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Such a great re-read after 25 years.
David Sarkies
Aug 26, 2013 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Adrian on the verge of Adulthood
26 August 2013

This continues on with the tradition of the first book that Townsend wrote and follows Adrian's life as he continues to struggle as a teenager in Britain in the 1980s. The series does continue on right up to the Iraq War and it appears that throughout his life he is madly in love with a woman named Pandora (I don't think that she is his first girlfriend, but I believe that he dumped his first girlfriend for Pandora). It seems that the idea is that A
Alethea Bothwell
Mar 01, 2017 Alethea Bothwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian is 15 1/2 - I mention that because supposedly kids like to read about kids their own age or slightly older.

I loved this, although if I think too much about it, I start to question whether a real 15 1/2 year old boy would write like this (or write a diary at all!). I can imagine one thinking these thoughts, though. Mostly. And it was great fun to imagine I was getting some insight into the said 15 1/2 year old mind.
  • Ježeva kućica
  • Koko i duhovi
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • Vlak u snijegu
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Molesworth
  • Blott on the Landscape
  • Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
  • Het wonder van Frieswijck
  • The Snapper (The Barrytown Trilogy, #2)
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • Rosa, Minha Irmã Rosa
  • The Diary of a Teenage Health Freak
  • Jip en Janneke
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)

“I don't know why women are so mad about flowers. Personally, they leave me cold. I prefer trees.” 11 likes
“It has just been on the news that a man has been found in the Queen’s bedroom. Radio Four said that the man was an intruder and was previously unknown to the Queen. My father said: ‘That’s her story.” 2 likes