Start by marking “Three Against the Tide” as Want to Read:
Three Against the Tide

Three Against the Tide

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Civil War truly hits home when Susanna's father is called to help the Confederate Army. Twelve-year-old Susanna is placed in charge of the family's South Carolina plantation and her two younger brothers. Then the Yankee soldiers invade their island, forcing Susanna and her brothers Neddie and Samuel to escape to their other home in Charleston.

When a fire destroys thei
Published July 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Three Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Against the Tide

Mary L.
Some of the things seemed a little improbable, but it kept your interest. I liked the idea of a girl who wanted to be a doctor.
Tanya Cannizzo
Jun 01, 2014 Tanya Cannizzo marked it as to-read
Q
Miss Amanda
gr 5-7 158 pgs

early Civil War, South Carolina. 12 year old Susanna and her younger brothers Ned and Sammy find themselves on their own when the Yankees ivade their island home of Tarapin Island. Together, they must make the dangerous journey to Charleston. They hope to be reunited with their father there when he returns from his mission for the Conderate army.

Great adventure story. Provides information about the war without going into too much detail.
Lauren
I got this book to read to the kids, but ended up really enjoying it myself. I have a great love for Southern fiction and history and this was both.
Nicole
I read this a while back when I was really interested in Children's Fiction about the American Civil War. It was real cute.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Children from a plantation escape the burning of Charleston during the Civil War.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Kourtney
Kourtney marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Avery Counts
Avery Counts marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Roseanne Pratt
Roseanne Pratt marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Carla Mckiddy
Carla Mckiddy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Ryley
Ryley added it
Aug 30, 2012
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2012
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2012
I was born in western Tennessee, the eldest of four children. My father was a lover of books who taught me to read even before I started school. My mother was (and still is!) the world’s best mom and a lover of music who sang in the kitchen as she taught me to cook.

I enjoyed playing games and riding bikes but my favorite activity was reading. Among my favorite authors were Lois Lenski, Louisa May
More about D. Anne Love...
Picture Perfect Semiprecious Defying the Diva The Puppeteer's Apprentice Of Numbers and Stars: The Story of Hypatia