Start by marking “The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #9)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,628 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The high pitched scream produced by an alarm clock sets three boys on the complicated and dangerous trail of art thieves.
Published September 30th 1991 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Screaming Clock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Screaming Clock

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess1984 by George OrwellAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Running like Clockwork
38th out of 149 books — 27 voters
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha ChristieLord Edgware Dies by Agatha ChristieDead Man's Ransom by Ellis PetersThe Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleOriginal Sin by P.D. James
Best Book 9s in a Series
70th out of 158 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Weni
Membaca lagi buku ini setelah lewat bertahun-tahun :D

Kisahnya diawali dengan ditemukannya jam weker yang bunyinya menjerit oleh Jupe. Lalu ada pesan yang menyertai jam itu. Pesan dari Albert Clock sang pemilik jam menjerit untuk Rex, agar bertanya pada Imogene, Gerald dan Martha. Ketiganya ternyata mendapatkan pesan yang berbeda dari Albert Clock.

Pesan kepada Imogene:
It's quiet there even in a hurricane
Just a word of advice, politely given
Old english bowmen loved it
Bigger than a raindrop, smalle
Elizabeth Milton
I'm not typically a reader of mysteries, and especially not a reader of Alfred Hitchcock or anything remotely resembling horror / fear. But this series was introduced to me by my older brother. He had a couple of old copies from this series (published in 1969) laying around, and passed them down to my sons. I read this one to sort of get the "feel" for the series, and found it clever. Although the title denotes inclusion of Alfred Hitchcock, the author is actually Robert Arthur. Alfred Hitchcock...more
Kavya
A great book. Amazing plot. The narration unleashes the plot in a way that keeps you involved all through till the end. The last but not the least their re-encounter with the greatest opponent, the three investigators ever dealt with.
As in all other cases Jupiter digs into practically harmless things to come up with a case that ends up being so interesting that one is forced to read the book in one go. Though the clock initially seems harmless and normal to the other two investigators but over t...more
Mark
2009 review - I had it in my head that this and “Talking Skull” are the weakest Arthur books but, upon re-reading this as an adult, I don’t think that’s the case. Certainly, it’s not as sensational as the other stories and sticks resolutely close to home (coming off of the Varania trip), but it’s a solid mystery, showing the boys detecting skills perfectly, though the story itself relies quite heavily on chance. Characterisation is good - it’s nice to see Hugenay again after “Stuttering Parrot”...more
Raja99
Why I Reread This Book: I'm on an ongoing Three Investigators kick.

Goodreads says I rated this three stars on 2007-09-11. Rereading it now, I think it deserves much better; I'd probably rate it 9/10. It starts with Jupiter Jones finding a surprising item among the incoming salvage at his family business and builds quickly from there, without too many false leads. Granted, it takes a while to get all the pieces in place, and the three investigators themselves don't interact as much as they might,...more
Jennifer Patrick
I absolutely LOVED this series as a kid! Still fun to read as an adult. But of course I have never really grown up. My favorite of the 3 Investigators was always Jupiter Jones. I think I identified with him because he was a fat kid. It really shows the time (late 60's) when this book was written. Kids largely unsupervised, being made to do manual labor by adults, getting into cars and homes with strangers. I'm surprised some one hasn't tried to get them banned.
Eva
+ceritanya berawal dr hal kecil-hal biasa saja, berkembang mengikuti imajinasi Jupe dan mengawali petualangan Trio Detektif. seringnya anak-anak (berdasarkan ingatan saya spt sebagaimana anak2 seharusnya) selalu memulai imajinasinya dari ordinary thing.. mereka mengasah kemampuan berimajinasi dengan mengikuti permainan pikiran dan menciptakan petualangan..
+ini merupakan satu theme 'teka-teki'
-sayang, pengisahan-nya agak kurang mengajak pembaca menjadi bagian dari cerita Trio Detektif. saya cek d...more
Cathy Farlow
I read these as a kid and really liked them. Surprisingly, they stood the test of time and are still good books. Excellent for kids. They are similar to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys but I liked this series better.
Mark
I had it in my head that this and “Talking Skull” are the weakest Arthur books but, upon re-reading this as an adult, I don’t think that’s the case. Certainly, it’s not as sensational as the other stories and sticks resolutely close to home (coming off of the Varania trip), but it’s a solid mystery, showing the boys detecting skills perfectly, though the story itself relies quite heavily on chance. Characterisation is good - it’s nice to see Hugenay again after “Stuttering Parrot” (and it’s a sh...more
Hugo
I loved these Three Investigators books when I was a kid (growing up in England, they had the almost-contemporary American allure that was missing from similar Enid Blyton adventures), so when I found this on a friend's bookshelves while staying over one weekend, I could not resist rereading it late at night (though not, unfortunately, under the covers with a torch).

This is a grand adventure: just enough action and fright to be believable, and with a solid case of clues and deduction to work on.
Robert Stewart
This is a classic that really stands up to the test of time. The second story with Huganay, who tries to double-cross the boys at the end but is a good sport when his plans fall through. Both the stories involving Huganay have the boys chasing after paintings through cryptic messages from dead men. I reread this story last week and still love it. I think it was the last of the Robert Arthur stories that I got my hands on. The first one I read by the original author was Vanishing Treasure.
Lance
This series is a wonderful one for kids. The Hitchcock character only does what amounts to cameos, and sometimes, if I remember correctly, doesn't even show up at all. The ones about the Mexican bandit and the Spider stand out in my mind and I remember them quite well. Overall, they were all fun to read.
Cory
Going on a bit of a nostalgia kick. Man, I remember loving this book, and many of the others, when I was a kid. It's so much simpler than I remembered it being! Although I did remember the solution to the riddles...
Michelle Polk
An interesting mystery. My children enjoyed reading it.

It starts out as one story and winds it way around and around to come back to the original story. Any details and I would give the plot away.
Piotr
chyba najciekawsza, po zagadce jąkającej się papugi, odsłona przygód. Mamy tu szyfry, dziwne zagadki prowadzące jedna do drugiej, tajemnice, gangi, przestępców, ciekawe łamigłówki... świetne.
Kolan
The best childhood series I read starting in the fourth grade. The best of the so called "syndicate Books" Reading them now brings back the memories and pleasure I had when reading them as a child.
Chris
I think I said this before about this series. I love references made in the stories about local places in the Hollywood vicinty. Very nostalgic.
Andreas Aris
Another mystery and detective novel I like. I read it long long time ago, when I was at Junior Hight School. It's entertaining book. Really!
Mayank Saboo
One of my favorite series. Screaming clock was my first novel ever. It introduced me to a great world i was missing out on.
Joseph Levesque
I remember loving the Dali-like cover for this -- although, at the time, I had no idea who Dali was...
Bayu Probo
Bagi saya waktu SMP, menyembunyikan lukisan mahal di balik cermin adalah suatu kejeniusan.
Cara
I like the Three Investigators more than the Hardy Boys, but less than Nancy Drew.
Steven Moore
I'm getting ready to start this book soon, maybe sometime this week, hopefully.
Cupof Tea
My best one word description from high school was "Puzzling".
G.N.
Sweet, sweet nostalgia. Childhood fave, this series.
woro
Salah satu seri petualangan favorite jaman SD :-)
Laila Dimyati
This is the best series from other trio detektif series.
Rhein
pertama kali kenalan dengan trio detektif
Jacob
Another good 3 Investigators
Maya
Curiosity could kill...
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Two-Toed Pigeon (The Three Investigators, #37)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit...more
More about Robert Arthur...
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1) The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2) The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3) The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4) The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)