Start by marking “Perfectly Yourself: 9 Lessons for Enduring Happiness” as Want to Read:
Perfectly Yourself: 9 Lessons for Enduring Happiness

Perfectly Yourself: 9 Lessons for Enduring Happiness

“Just be yourself!” People say it all the time, but how do we actually live it?

For more than a decade Matthew Kelly has been helping people discover the best version of themselves. Now, in Perfectly Yourself, he addresses the opportunities and obstacles that we encounter once we decide to ask life’s big questions: Who am I? What am I here for? Focusing on nine powerful and
Published February 26th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Perfectly Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfectly Yourself

Nanci Burt
Jul 03, 2012 Nanci Burt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually have my beginning Social Work students read this book before they start working with others. Take a moment to read and learn about who you are!
Don Weidinger
Feb 21, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
consumers or consumed, branded, become best version of self, accept and improve, be kind and lighthearted, daily examination, truth lived is wisdom, serve others, choose to be happy by doing right thing, conscience is best version of self talking to you—always best path, do the next right thing, happiness as default character, problems help you become best person, character is what you give to yourself, respect virtue most which is cornerstone of character, lack of honesty leads to insanity, do ...more
Cindy Dobrez
Jul 10, 2011 Cindy Dobrez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
This is the second book by Kelly that I've read and I've found them both very thought-provoking. I loaned the book to a friend so I can't record some of the highlighted quotes I have but it's one I'm glad I bought instead of borrowed so I can go back to those passages later.
Jun 18, 2012 Jmc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time! I use these principles in my life every day...they just make sense, sort of like the 10 commandments keep us aligned with God's will.
Jun 25, 2016 Ari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Make a difference to your life"

I still remember the moment that I first saw this inspirational book being displayed in Indigo. I flipped through it, put it back down, thought it was just another one of those self-help book. Wrong as I was, somehow I got a copy from the library recently - reading from the first page to its last, while taking more than 10 pages of notes for myself that I will forever treasure. From the lesson of thinking about our mission in life, motivating us in putting our foc
Carolyn Gomez
Dec 27, 2015 Carolyn Gomez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it to be a refreshing read to take time to reflect on my own approach to happiness.

I appreciated the focus of Chapter 3 on building virtue and character and of Chapter 8 on the importance of providing service as a path to happiness.

The messages of discipline (delayed gratification) and simplification in Chapters 6 and 7 made a lot of sense, but were hard for me to read because I know I have a lot of work to do there!

Chapter 9's discussion of worry and focusing on the good in everyone and
Nov 15, 2015 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, started as okay with a few tidbits of things that make you think. But by chapter five, this started to turn more into a preachers sermon. Explaining how his beliefs are the proper belief and claiming it to be fact without anything to back it up. So then I looked up his other books, and sure enough he's strong Theist. His latest book Rediscover Jesus. Seems many of these motivational speakers are very closely just salesmen selling there Snake Oil. Okay, onward with more factual books now.
Jun 11, 2015 L8start rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was OK. The author makes good points, but his writing style is so boring I ended up scanning the text and reading just the summaries and practical applications at the end of each chapter. Best take-away was from a summary by Brian Johnson: look at an area of your life where you are happy and successful. Odds are that you are disciplined in that area. Discipline / self control are key.
April Corbett (Dorris)
This book is perfectly the same as the previous book (Building Better Families) I read by Matthew Kelly. He even used some of the same stories and examples. I’m quite disappointed. Since I have both of these books as audio selections and not as physical books, it’s hard to quantify how much is duplicated but it still comes down to his underlying principle of becoming the best version of yourself, but he talks a lot about being yourself or rooting out the fundamental flaws in yourself. I think is ...more
Cindy May
An excellent book that makes many wonderful points. I borrowed the copy I just read and decided to buy my own copy so I could highlight the passages that spoke to me. I can't recommend this book enough!
John Prejean
Jul 13, 2016 John Prejean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a definite must read for those who've often posed the question "Why can't I just be happy?" Such an amazing read by an amazing author. Very informative and faith based. Loved it.
Jun 22, 2012 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-you
This was my first Matthew Kelly book to read. Great thought-provoking book. Kelly spoke in a tone that was direct yet enlightening and encouraging. Each of the nine lessons addressed an aspect of life, regardless to where you may be spiritually, personally or professionally. I really enjoyed the summarizing Kelly provided at each chapter. Many times when reading "self-improvement, purpose-driven" books, it can become easy to feel overwhelmed with all the information pouring out. However, Kelly's ...more
Just a nice reminder of the guiding principles for life -- a soothing pep talk read by the author.
Apr 25, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Will recommend to my kids as they get older.
Aug 19, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-skills
I thought this book was amazing. Each book of Matthew Kelly's I read I like more and more. This is one that I would like to purchase and feel I could listen to/read over and over to help stay focused and growing as a person. Also, I liked that this book was not sappy at all. Lets face it sometimes life is not so great. He agrees with that. Everyone WILL have problems in this life but we can choose how to handle it and what we do with the suffering God sends all people for the good of our souls.
Oct 27, 2015 Sthomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple wisdom for everyday life. I always like Matthew Kelly's practical approach to examining and improving our lives.
Apr 06, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Kelly has a lot of good advice for attaining happiness by organizing your priorities and building character. The things that he suggests are not easy, but it is a simple approach. This is no fly-by-night gimick of a plan, but a solid approach that will work for anyone if they commit to putting in the necessary effort.

I recommend this book to anyone. I plan to read it again soon.
This is another Kelly book that would make you stop and re-think your life. Many of the insights and principles are not uncommon but he elaborates it in a way that would help the reader re-connect again to what matters most in life. A good read.
Apr 25, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Kelly provides some very basic steps for improving your life that actually seem feasible. each chapter focuses on a habit or area of improvement and provides a summary of the key points at the end. some of it was rather trite, but I think that is outweighed by the usefulness.
Dec 17, 2013 Linn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed two other's that he authored. I am in the process of re-reading sections. A little bit of self love and trying to make changes for the better. Once I get these down I will pick up another title to slowly apply. A really great author and subject lines that he explores.
Jan 29, 2009 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book- reinforcing a value system for both personal and professional use. Good question to begin- are you the consumer or the consumed? A book you should find not only in inspiration but in the marketing and personal development section too.
May 01, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to improve themselves
At first I was skeptical about this book but I heard the author speak in person and received the book for free. I learned valuable new perspectives about myself, facing temptation, and pursuing the best version of myself
Krista Knigge
Sep 30, 2013 Krista Knigge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read in 2013. Motivation and inspiration for your mission in life. I had the opportunity to hear him speak at our company annual meeting this year. I just added 4 more of his books to my reading list.
Jan 26, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitely one of those books that i can re-listen to (on when i need some company during a long car tide...also good to bring your life back in check...
I ordered this book also...plan to read it. If it's anything like Matthew Kelly's bestseller "The Rhythm of Life" it will be well worth the time & money spent!
Oct 06, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring and uplifting! Gives good advice and really forces you to put reality in perspective and helps you find your happiness by making one decision at a time.
Jane Dugger
Aug 10, 2009 Jane Dugger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books-read, btbr
I can't say enough about Matthew Kelly's book. FANTASTIC. They aren't preachy & make you think about what you want out of life & how you can change.
Jul 23, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice on setting priorities, saying "no" so you can say "yes" to the important things in life, and much more. Highly recommend this book.
Mar 02, 2008 Jon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book when I am not reading books for my masters program! So far it has been really good -- very practical!
Jeff Herle
Sep 08, 2013 Jeff Herle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book that gets you grounded on what's important and uniquely your mission. This was a good year to read this book.
  • The Angel Inside: Michelangelo's Secrets For Following Your Passion and Finding the Work You Love
  • Meditation for Optimum Health
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • Divine Collision: An African Boy, An American Lawyer, and Their Remarkable Battle for Freedom
  • Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments
  • The Philosophy of Jesus
  • In the Arms of Angels: True Stories of Heavenly Guardians
  • I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • An Infinity of Little Hours: The Trial of Faith of Five Young Men in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order
  • Heaven Touching Earth: True Stories of Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters
  • Opus Dei: An Objective Look Behind the Myths and Reality of the Most Controversial Force in the Catholic Church
  • The Rosary: The Prayer That Saved My Life
  • Miracle on Voodoo Mountain: A Young Woman's Remarkable Story of Pushing Back the Darkness for the Children of Haiti
Matthew Kelly was born in Sydney, Australia, where he began speaking and writing in 1993. Since that time he has travelled in more than fifty countries and spoken to over four million people. He has written twelve books which have appeared on the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestseller lists and have been published in twenty-five languages. His titles include: The Rhythm of L ...more
More about Matthew Kelly...

“Work is not everything, but when you are doing work that doesn’t engage you or, worse yet, work that you despise, it can massively affect every other aspect of your life. It is simply impossible to create enduring happiness without finding an approach to work that allows you to thrive. Ideally this means finding work that you are passionate about, but even if you are not in your dream job—or don’t know what your dream job would be—there are ways to thrive at work.” 1 likes
“The reason is that for so many years he has been developing a deep reserve of internal calm, so deep that the external unrest cannot disturb it. Interior calm gives birth to calm action.” 0 likes