Start by marking “The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)” as Want to Read:
The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)

The Penniless Bride (Harlequin Historical #725)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
FROM A PAPER MARRIAGE ... TO WEDDED BLISS?

Lord Robert Selborne intended to kiss the chimney sweep's daughter for luck at his cousin's wedding ... not marry her! But of all the ladies assembled, she was the only one who captured his interest. And unless she became his wife in name only, he would forfeit his inheritance ...

Having been raised by a brutal father on the London
Published October 1st 2004 by Harlequin Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Penniless Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penniless Bride

Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
A very lighthearted, sweet read.
4.5 stars/5 stars

When I came across this book by chance while browsing, the plot immediately intrigued me. While I've read many books where the heroine is of a lower social status than the lord hero, this is the first I've come across where the heroine is actually a chimney sweep's daughter!

The story begins comically when the hero, Robert Selborne, comes back from war and finds out that in order to receive his inheritance from his deceased father and grandmother,
Ivonne
2,5*
Não sei se foi por ter lido "alguns" romances do género e de a fórmula me parecer igual, mas esperava melhor de Nicola Cornick. Foi um romance leve, com algumas falhas e omissões no plot [exemplo: como sabia Letty da localização do Jack?], mas entreteve por umas horas.
Catsalive
Aug 27, 2015 Catsalive rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

Great fun. Highly fantastic, of course, but very enjoyable reading. Robert & Jemima were very likeablecharacters, & there was a bit of humour throughout.

Robert, Earl of Selborne, has a problem - relatives who did not consult each other before writing their wills!

The last will and testament of the late Earl of Selborne:

"My son is to choose a bride from amongst the young ladies present at the marriage of his cousin, Miss Anne Selborne, and is to mar
Elle
Sep 16, 2011 Elle rated it liked it
I really liked this story, but I wondered how "true" it was. What I "know" about the period is pretty much defined by what I read in historical romances, which I know often exaggerate things to lend drama to the story. Still, the conventions of the genre leave me thinking that no matter how high he is in the social hierarchy, marriage to a chimney sweep's daughter would pretty much end him, socially. The social snobbery of the day definitely plays a part, and Cornick is at pains to make sure we ...more
Natalija
Feb 18, 2016 Natalija rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This was a lovely read! I liked both Rob and Jemima and immediately knew they would make a great couple. As to the plot, it thickens towards then end, and that's what knocked a star off for me. There were too many events, and I don't think a second love story was that necessary. It felt very rushed and lacked credibility as far as the acceptance of Jack goes. Despite these minor comments, the story was definitely worth reading.
Mandy
Nov 15, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great escapism for a gray weekend.
Barbara Van Zandt
Sep 12, 2014 Barbara Van Zandt rated it really liked it
started out slow then it gotten better. I like this author
Mugdha
Aug 19, 2014 Mugdha rated it liked it
Sweet Cheesy romance!
Ana
Oct 03, 2010 Ana rated it liked it
A chimney sweep heroine? How cute is that? The Penniless Bride is a darling romance that will not only make you smile, but you’ll learn quite a bit about the dangers chimney sweeps faced long ago. Cornick took her research and ran with it to create a heroine that you’ll never forget. While I had to suspend disbelief that society was ultimately so accepting of her background, this novel provides a sweet and charming escape into romantic fantasy. ~ Ana, www.ireadromance.com
Aug 11, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It was a sweet romantic story. I was a little off in guessing the story line. I was sure the father of the heroine would come back in to the story, but he never did.
Denise
Aug 08, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
I like the element of "lower" quality in this book - both of the Jewell siblings bring a little something different to the standard cookie-cutter Regency.
Jordanmcinroy
Feb 26, 2011 Jordanmcinroy rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
i thought this book was really good. had alot of decriptions that i could live without but other than that i thought the main story was awesome!
Kathleen
Sep 15, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Frances
Jun 18, 2012 Frances rated it it was ok
The books I read are highly improbable, this one tipped the scales into total improbability.
LemontreeLime
This was a nice one, different than most. The heroine was well thought out.
Titinha Scaeiro
História... Fofinha, só!
Ama
Ama rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Leanne
Leanne rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
On Oui
On Oui rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Misty Michelle Medlin
Misty Michelle Medlin rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Joanne
Joanne added it
Jun 30, 2016
Sinta
Sinta marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Chipo Perpetua Size
Chipo Perpetua Size marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Irma04
Irma04 added it
May 27, 2016
Maria Anderson
Maria Anderson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Msin
Msin rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • The Mysterious Miss M
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • The Conqueror's Lady  (The Knights of Brittany, #2)
  • Sold and Seduced
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Her Colorado Man
  • The Six-Month Marriage
  • Touched by Fire
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress
  • Reckless (Regency Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)
  • The Highland Wife (Trouville #3)
International bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes romantic historical mysteries and witty and passionate Regency romance. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Nicol
More about Nicola Cornick...