Start by marking “Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat” as Want to Read:
Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat

Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  8,032 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
The perfect cupcake for every occasion.

Swirled and sprinkled, dipped and glazed, or otherwise fancifully decorated, cupcakes are the treats that make everyone smile. They are the star attraction for special days, such as birthdays, showers, and holidays, as well as perfect everyday goodies. In Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes, the editors of Martha Stewart Living share 175 ideas
Published June 2nd 2009 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Martha Stewart's Cupcakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

Janet
May 08, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing
I went to the bookstore today armed with a list of cupcake books and flipped through about 20 of them before deciding that Martha Stewart's Cupcakes was the only book that had everything I wanted. It was organized in a very logical way. It starts with the simple "any day" cupcakes and moves along at a balanced pace to more involved processes or thematic cakes. And no one cupcake category dominates -- but there are some nice surprises -- there's even a vegan chocolate cupcake recipe included. Thi ...more
Laurie Garrison
Jul 24, 2010 Laurie Garrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
My daughter and I wanted to make more cupcakes for the simple fact we eat less cake this away, I have no clue why. I kept looking for a good cupcake cookbook and found most of them just had cupcakes designed for kids. In the back of my mind I new Martha Stewarts cupcakes would be the only one for me. So I bought it. While listing to my daughter saying "don’t we have enough Martha Stewart cookbooks"? I say “so than what’s one more added to the kindle.” LOL.

When I revived the book and looked it o
Purplepaperreader
Dec 20, 2011 Purplepaperreader rated it really liked it
Shelves: yum
This book has a lot of recipes and basic information - this book is about the content of your cuppies rather than a lot of elaborate decoration. There are some decorative ideas (mostly in the kid's section of the book) but I would say this book leans towards the basics. I've made many of the recipes in this book and have been happy with them, but I also haven't had anything that I would classify as absolutely knock your socks off amazing so try the recipes and adapt them to your liking. Lots of ...more
Joanna
Jul 20, 2012 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes on pg 104 are easy and heavenly - I've made them twice now. Martha usually makes things waaaay more complicated then they need to be (and there is a good deal of that in this book - no way am I piping icing grass onto the top of cupcakes. Or crafting mushrooms out of meringue. Hell. No.), but there are a few recipes in here that are simple and delicious. I can only give it 3 stars due to Martha's typical over-the-top ways, but there are some gems in this coo ...more
Emily
Nov 23, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Please note that the title of the book is 175 insired IDEAS for cupcakes not RECIPES. There are a dozen or so recipes for basic cupcakes and then a handful of recipes and descriptions for various fillings, glazes and frostings. All of which look delicious and tempting. All of which are available for free from her website.

The main thrust of this book is miniature cake decorations and flipping through it certainly is inspiring, but not particularly tempting. After all, a fancy faux bois white cho
Marie Z. Johansen
Nov 15, 2009 Marie Z. Johansen rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love cupcakes? I am about as far away from being a 'Martha' as far can get. Granted, I would love to be more organized and, if I had more space, I probably would be. One thing that Martha always does, however, is put out a wonderful cookbook! I love this cupcake cookbook. There is something for everyone within it's pages from simple to super cute and fussy. I was happy to find this at our wonderful local library and can highly recommend this great cupcake compendium!
Becky Cook
Jan 27, 2012 Becky Cook rated it really liked it
Now we're talking, cupcake! This book is what baking is about. Every formula is amazing! There is are basic chocolate and white cupcakes for beginners and then there are the fun advanced cupcakes for bakers to try! I love a challenge when I bake and this book delivers with heavenly cupcakes that are sure to please!!!
Stephani
Jul 27, 2010 Stephani rated it liked it
I have fallen in love with a cupcake bakery in our new stomping grounds and have determined to figure out how to make my own deliciousness. I'm sure my family is devastated by all of the experimenting that is about to occur.
Kim Forsythe
Aug 27, 2009 Kim Forsythe rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
I'm not a big fan of cupcakes (I know, I'm crazy, but they're too sweet). I bought this to make Doug's birthday cupcakes and found that it has many recipes for less-sweet muffin style cakes. This book will get me through many festivities and occasions.
Melissa Bond
Jan 16, 2011 Melissa Bond rated it really liked it
Hands down, the best cupcake cookbook published to date. A cupcake for any day, any occasion or any holiday is in this book, along with full color photographs for each one. I know I'm going to attempt to try and make each one!
Caity
Nov 05, 2016 Caity rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for cupcake lovers it has a great mix of classic and unusual recipes so there is something for every occasion. I particularly enjoyed that the recipes were able to be mixed and matched with the different frosting, glaze, and decorating options so you can customize easily.
Rachel Yoder
Dec 27, 2016 Rachel Yoder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is the BEST cupcake recipe book ever.
A
Aug 03, 2011 A rated it really liked it
I feel a bit of a sap, publicly promoting anything Martha Stewart, but I definitely lingered over this one and kept the book 4 days past the due date.

I read the whole thing twice, certain parts more than that. There are some top-notch decorating ideas in this book. I love how the step-by-step instructions and accompanying pics make complex looking designs suddenly seem quite do-able. Even the meringue mushrooms, tho I'm not rushing to try them. I've tried the grass with ladybug which turned out
Emily
Sep 16, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Exciting and inspiring ridiculousness abounds in this gorgeously presented book from homemaking queen, Martha Stewart.

Cupcakes are all the rage, cute, easy to serve and available in a diverse range of classic and more contemporary flavors. Martha's latest kitchen offering shares recipes for the most basic vanilla cake and buttercream frosting to elaborately decorated mini-cakes. This book is idea inspiring and should you pull off one of the more challenging recipes, you will impress the crowd. O
Jessamine
Oct 19, 2011 Jessamine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking-cooking
I was going through my to-read list and was surprised I didn't rate this sooner. This is one of my go-to books when I'm making treats for an occasion. Cupcakes may seem like a passing phase, but for me, they have earned their place. They are easy to make and decorate, easy to clean up, and easy to eat. How can you go wrong?

I've had this book for a while and I tend not to rate cookbooks until I try a few recipes to make sure I can have an informed opinion. I have tried many recipes from the book
Colleen
Jun 27, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This book gives cupcakes the respect they deserve. I thought twice about getting a Martha Stewart book for fear she would include desserts that were more fancy than delicious, and the book would be overloaded with recipes for muffins masquerading as cupcakes with only a few delicious recipes. While there are recipes for pistachio raspberry tea cakes and zucchini spice cupcakes (I guess that is to be expected when you include 175 recipes for cupcakes), they are the exception rather than the rule. ...more
Catherine Woodman
This is a very good cupcake cookbook, with some fancy ideas for cupcakes (not as good as the Shelly Kaldunski cookbook)--but it has a couple of presentation ideas that are very good--like making twelve cupcakes with Roman Numerals 1-12 around a clock, so a NYE party that is small, and doing cookie either inthe shape of a letter, or a circle with a letter cut out, for the top of cupcakes for a celebration--or little diploma cookie on top of a cupcake for graduations)--there are some muffins in he ...more
Ashley
Sep 25, 2009 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Since I've been thinking about Sophia's birthday, I've been browsing lots of cupcake books lately. After making two recipes from this book, I'm sure my good old-fashioned buttermilk cake recipe (from the Gourmet cookbook) is the way to go for kids' birthday parties. Perfectly light with a well-rounded flavor thanks to the mysterious properties of buttermilk, they knock Stewart's flavorless cupcakes out of the park. Too-fancy cupcakes seem pretentious and kitschy; old-fashioned nuanced simplicity ...more
Jennifer Anderson
Aug 04, 2009 Jennifer Anderson rated it it was amazing
I just bought this book from amazon - that's how cool I think it is. It has tons of variations of cupcakes - from the everyday vanilla with vanilla frosting to the fantastically whimsical and creeptastic monster cupcakes. Every recipe has a color picture so that you get to see all of the different ways you can decorate your cupcake. I already knew that I would love this book because of how happy I was with Martha Stewart's Cookies and I have not been disappointed!
Heidi
May 10, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
One of the prettiest baking books I've encountered, and the recipes are spot on and accurate (Early Martha was not like that, if you remember). There is a recipe for a chocolate cream cheese sour cream icing that I could (and have) eaten out of the bowl like pudding. Screw the cupcakes - the frostings in this book are to die for. Bonus: no treacly smiling Martha or dog photos. Just cupcakes and frosting.
Patricia Florio
You could eat the pages of this cupcake book it all looks so delicious. It's an inspiration for all of the five senses rolled into one big chocolate, pink, sprinkled cupcake. I gave it away not to be tempted by making cupcakes on a daily basis. So now my daughter-in-law bakes them for me twice a year when I cheat off my diet.
Katey
Jul 08, 2009 Katey rated it really liked it
I'm one of those weird people who love to read cookbooks, and this one is great. Chockfull of scrumptious recipes, it left me wanting to race to the kitchen and begin concocting some of these marvelous little cakes! The recipes are clear to follow, and each one has a picture of the cake (always helpful). The only problem is deciding which cupcake to bake first...
Ginny Garner
Dec 11, 2012 Ginny Garner rated it really liked it
My mom used this book as a basis for all of the cupcakes baked for me wedding (yes, she did them ALL). It has tasty recipes (I know, I have tried many of them) and beautiful pictures to accompany them. There is also a great section on just specific icing recipes and cupcake decorating techniques. An essential book for any sweet tooth to own.
Melinda
Jun 29, 2009 Melinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I must have this book. I would normally hold off and add it to a Christmas gift list but I'm just too excited about it. I checked this out from the library thinking I would just photo copy the recipes I was interested in but that would basically be the whole book. I'm very excited about the frosting recipes, now I can make something other than plain buttercream!
Valerie Sherman
Jun 15, 2010 Valerie Sherman rated it it was amazing
Oh Martha, you went there. This book is amazing, and I can't wait to make all the cupcakes. What I like is not just the recipes and techniques, which are clearly awesome, but also the layout - the recipes are very mix-and-match (frosting, cake, decorations, themes). I appreciate her recommendations, but I also appreciate that she gives her cookbook users some creative leeway.
Samantha
Mar 02, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Cupcakes. I know there's been lots of articles that this trend is "over" but really, how can anyone be over cake and frosting that's been shrunk to bite size form? Now normally, I'm not a huge Martha Stewart fan, but her cooking and baking books are great. Just because I don't cook in a perfectly coordinated blue and eggshell colored kitchen shouldn't be held against me!
Jan 04, 2010 Jennifer added it
Shelves: food
made the chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. Delicious! Lots of cute decorating ideas. If I had the time, I would just download every recipe from the MS website, but owning this volume this seems easier. If it can in an electronic edition, it would be mine. Will try to make one more recipe before returning to the library.
Debby
May 28, 2014 Debby rated it it was amazing
A friend gave me her spare copy of this cookbook with glowing recommendations and it did not disappoint! I have made the stout cupcakes and the brown sugar pound cakes so far and both were delicious, the photos are beautiful, the recipes are easy to follow, and the book is the perfect size for storage.
Ari
Jan 06, 2017 Ari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Todo en el me encanta, creo que he realizado la mitad de las recetas y hasta ahora todas han sido un éxito (unas más que otras). Las imágenes son fabulosas, la preparación es completa y fácil de replicar, nada de ingredientes extraños, mi sección favorita es la de "holidays" y me gusta mucho que tenga una sección de básicos. De mis favoritos para la cocina!!
Jessica
Oct 07, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
So far I love this book! My spouse is begging me to make the Boston Cream cupcakes for his birthday, so I think that I'm going to have to get a copy for myself, as I've currently borrowed this from the library. Now I'll just have to practice up on my icing skills!
Maple Cupcakes 1 20 Sep 21, 2009 10:23AM
  • Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
  • Cake Pops: Tips, Tricks, and Recipes for More Than 40 Irresistible Mini Treats
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery
  • Cupcakes!
  • Crazy About Cupcakes
  • What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion
  • Hello, Cupcake
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
  • Cupcakes!: From the Cake Mix Doctor
  • King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Baking
  • Whoopie Pies
Martha Stewart is an American business magnate, author, editor and homemaking advocate. She is also a former stockbroker and fashion model. Over the last two decades Stewart has held a prominent position in the American publishing industry; as the author of several books, hundreds of articles on the domestic arts, editor of a national homekeeping magazine, host for two popular daytime television p ...more
More about Martha Stewart...

“Loving yourself is good for your health.” 1 likes