Start by marking “Development Through the Lifespan (MyDevelopmentLab Series)” as Want to Read:
Development Through the Lifespan (MyDevelopmentLab Series)

Development Through the Lifespan (MyDevelopmentLab Series)

Focusing on human development, this book discusses the factors that influence social and emotional adaptation. The Social Issues boxes are useful in engaging students in topics of real-life importance that go beyond the individual.
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 663 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Allyn & Bacon (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Development Through the Lifespan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Development Through the Lifespan

Apr 26, 2015 Reba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura Berk, renowned professor and researcher, places an emphasis on the interplay between heredity and environment, and focuses on many social policy issues, while emphasizing the lifespan perspective throughout. The latest theories and findings in the field are made accessible in a relevant way. The author's storytelling style invites students to actively learn. Readers are provided with an especially clear understanding of the sequence and underlying processes of human development, emphasizin ...more
Theresa Ann Casper Nelson
This was my textbook for my Lifespan Developmental Psychology class, the one Psych class I avoided like the plague when I was in college the first time around. So I didn't like the class in the first place. The book is good at sectioning information out in a good way and the book is not an overcomplicated book to read or comprehend.

The dropping of two whole stars comes from the far left wing bent of the author(s). In every stage of development, problems with social issues were constantly blamed
Michael Harris
May 24, 2016 Michael Harris rated it it was amazing
I took two classes in developmental psych and this was the textbook for both. I now feel it's an indispensable guide for adaptive functioning through the lifespan - emotionally, socially, physically, and cognitively. It covers prenatal to death. I am grateful such a thorough account of up-to-date research on what it means to be a modern human is available. (I read the latest edition [2014], which was fantastically designed, but this edition was the only one on goodreads I could find.)
Jessica Gonzalez
May 09, 2012 Jessica Gonzalez added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology Students
It wasn't very interesting. I had to get the book for one of my classes. It is a good text book, but not something I would read for fun. It would be nice if the definitions where at the end of the chapter in an list that defines them.
Candice Ellis
Jun 15, 2016 Candice Ellis rated it really liked it
Very informative book that explains the process of development from prenatal to death. Throughout the book there was a great use of real life situations and experiences, charts and tables to better explain the information being provided.
Nathan Schneider
Jan 11, 2016 Nathan Schneider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Didn't finish the entire book. Read through parts that were relevant to a class on child development theory and spiritual formation. What I read was beneficial and enlightening to my understanding of the cognitive, social, emotional, and physical growth of humans.
May 21, 2010 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
My class textbook. According to the syllabus, I will finish reading this one on May 13th.

As I expected, we did not end up reading this entire book. I had never read an entire textbook for a class so I was skeptical of the syllabus.

My only comment is that this has way too many exclamation points for what should be considered didactic reading. I chose to interpret this as patronizing to undergrads.

Also, I am not officially done with this book since my exam is Tuesday, so I will still be
Mary Katherine
Nov 13, 2015 Mary Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because if I read an almost 900-page textbook, you better believe I'm going to have it count toward my 2015 Book Challenge.
Thomas Obstructioningbridge
Jul 22, 2015 Thomas Obstructioningbridge rated it really liked it
Very interesting subject matter but it's still a textbook, meaning the writing isn't as engaging as writing for lay people. I also hate textbook layouts. But it got 4 stars because I like the subject matter.
Michaela Renee
Jun 27, 2011 Michaela Renee rated it it was amazing
Contained a lot of quality information regarding the nature of psychological and physical development from prenatal through death. I appreciated this class text and would recommend it as a purchase for MFT's.
Jan 24, 2010 Clinton rated it really liked it
Good practical, non opinion info for the parent. It is a textbook so it's not light, but I've found it refreshing compared to the glut of opinion parenting books out there.
Chole Allyson
This book was helpful for when I was studying this subject. It is not a book that I would read from cover to cover.
Lots of info about lifespan development! Easy to read, but a lot of text.
Sep 03, 2012 Khazanah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this book in college, wish I would have kept it.
Jason Jay
Feb 25, 2016 Jason Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was good as far as textbooks go.
May 09, 2012 Lambzann rated it liked it
Text I teach with.
Conferring Bliss
Jun 19, 2013 Conferring Bliss rated it it was amazing
Mino marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Catherine Bzelle
Catherine Bzelle marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Gilian Chirenda
Gilian Chirenda marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Tania is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2016
Steve Alde
Steve Alde is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2016
Kathy added it
Sep 24, 2016
Jobber added it
Sep 19, 2016
Alaa rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Angel Brondel
Angel Brondel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
  • Social Psychology
  • Psychology in Action
  • Human Sexuality in a World of Diversity
  • Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Psychology in Everyday Life