Start by marking “The Simple Life” as Want to Read:
The Simple Life

The Simple Life

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Millions visit "Amish country" each year to enjoy the relaxed family atmosphere of this unique culture. What can we as "English" (non-Amish) people learn from this lifestyle? Wanda Brunstetter, author of the best-selling Amish-themed novel The Storekeeper's Daughter, offers sixty intriguing and encouraging lessons in her new devotional The Simple Life. Each reading feature ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simple Life

Amy
Nov 12, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanda E Brunstetter's The Simple Life Devotional: Devotional Thoughts from Amish Country is a must have. I thought it is so uplifting for an everyday devotion. It is small and easy to hold and easy to carry with you wherever you go.
In this devotional, you will find sixty daily devotions with an Introduction and Final thought from Wanda E Brunstetter. Each devotion is really short, only about 3-4 pagees long and include:
A Bible Verse
A Short Story with an Amish theme
A Food For Thought section tha
Linda
Jul 05, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I enjoy devotional books a lot and have been reading a lot of Amish fiction lately. I was happy to see my library had this in their stacks and just finished it this morning. I was able to buy the second one on amazon.com for a penny! The stories are short and sweet with a biblical lesson tied in, along with a scripture reference.
Nancee
Dec 11, 2014 Nancee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
Wanda E. Brunstetter has an abundance of knowledge regarding the Amish culture, beliefs and customs. She and her husband, Richard, share numerous Amish friendships throughout the Amish communities around the country. This devotional is beautifully crafted. Each entry begins with scripture and a daily lesson gleaned from an Amish friend, followed by "Food for Thought," an Amish recipe to enjoy. These lessons are intended to assist in slowing down our lives in order to enjoy the simpler way of lif ...more
Rhonda
Nov 06, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanda E. Brunstetter has compiled a beautiful collection of stories of life with the Amish as a devotional. I love the sweet stories based on the simple life of the Amish that is featured in this devotional. There are delightful stories involving families collecting eggs from the chickens, mishaps of daily life, baking and working together, and more. Each page has a story of Amish life, a scripture verse, and a Bible lesson based on the story and scripture. Then to make this book even more exci ...more
Judy
Nov 05, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A Devotional Book Worth Keeping!

Devotional thoughts from Amish Country.

When I received this devotional in the mail I was thrilled. This one I will keep to read over and over.

The photographs in this book are breathtaking. Love them!

The devotions are heartfelt. I love the message in the devotions I have read so far. I have a couple of devotional books that I read each morning, I saved this devotional to read at night. Soul soothing!

Included after each devotional is a meaningful saying called, Foo
Sonja
Nov 06, 2014 Sonja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading The Simple Life Devotional and can only say, Wanda has crafted a meaningful, wonderful and inspiring book of Devotional thoughts. The book follows a pattern with a short story telling of some Amish experiences and then a section called "Food for Thought" containing an uplifting thought followed by a section called "Food for the body". Food for the body includes a wonderful recipe. Some looked so tempting I couldn't wait to try them.

The 60 devotional stories are proceeded
Karen Korb
Nov 11, 2014 Karen Korb rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts On The Book: Loved! Loved! Loved it! This book is a wonderful mixture of scripture, quotes, Amish stories, and wonderful Amish recipes. I cannot wait to try the recipes out. No matter what religion you may be this is a refreshing book to uplift your spirit. A must have and it would be a great gift for a dear friend.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Netgalley Publicity Group as part of their Book Review Blogger Programs. I was not required to write a po
Karen
Dec 16, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
I love this little book of simple devotional thoughts. Very inspiring. It made me sit and think about my everyday life and to sit back and enjoy what I have, to learn to live with the things that happens in my everyday life and the people around me.
I enjoyed some of the recipes that are in the book also.
Wanda Brunstetter is an excellent author and the few books I have read from her have made her a favorite of mine. So far, her books have not disappoint me.
Colleen
Nov 26, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Simple Life Devotional by Wanda E. Brunstetter is a cute little book. This small book is packed with wisdom and recipes. On each simple 2 page devotional Wanda includes a verse with some words of wisdom and a short example from the Amish life style. Between each devotional is a delicious sounding recipe. I can't wait to try most of the recipes. The 60 devotionals included are perfect for a short daily read.
Christy
Jun 25, 2016 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
This wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it was okay. The devotions read a little more like mini fiction stories and I was looking for something along the line of non-fiction. The light illustrations are nice in this book; but I must have purchased a most unfortunate copy because every time I turned the page it came out! Glad it was on sale
7jane
Jul 31, 2015 7jane rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Actually 3.5, but I got more out of Fisher's "Amish Peace", and the recipes included here were mostly not something I'd make, but that's just my taste. So: simple stories with a small good message, and a recipe at the end(s). More of a companion to other Amish books, not a 'just a one book to own on this subject'. Anyway, not a bad book. :)
Sally
Dec 07, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a nice little devotional book! It is so handy to carry with me. I love the short stories that stir up good thoughts while I'm reading about true events. I've even tried a couple recipes including Shoofly cake that turned out really good. I like this book!
Mary
This is a very refreshing book. I enjoyed the stories of the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle and I felt their strong faith in the provision of God no matter what the situation may be.

I bought this book a few years ago while visiting Amish country in Kidron, OH. I liked that there were devotionals and Amish recipes, but it took me a while to start reading it. I started it a few weeks before Lent this year so I made it a part of my Lenten discipline, reading a passage a day. I finished the book
Carol
Apr 30, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
i ve this book. Wanda always writes good books.
Evy
May 21, 2011 Evy rated it really liked it
Wanda E. Brunstetter's view of the Amish way of life is touching, understanding, and interesting. The Amish do not live as we do; they work without the use of electricity and technology, the way they believe life should be: simple, hence the title of the book. This collection of down-to-Earth stories that represent the simple life makes this a definite to-read for everyone.
I was recommending this book before I even finished reading, so yeah...I liked it. The gift edition is indeed lovely, and would make nice addition to one's bookshelf. The way the bible verses played out in the stories was enjoyable and relate-able. Recipes are simple home cooking (not necessarily health conscious), but some are quite yummy.
Rhonnie
Jan 11, 2014 Rhonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
It's a sweet little book, really really simple and basic, but it's nice to read before bed because it does manage to take you out to Amish country which seems so peaceful and beautiful. Plus there are recipes in there which sound really yummy.
Kim
Aug 05, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough about this book! Charming, facinating, heart warming devotional stories of the wonderful Amish people and their way of life and faith. This book will make your heart feel good and bring you back to what life is really supposed to be about. Many great recipes are also included. Will cherish this book always.
Dorothy A.
Oct 24, 2011 Dorothy A. rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable reading. Good thoughts for all of us.
Sylvia Higgins
Jun 06, 2016 Sylvia Higgins rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Wanda Brunstetter is awesome!!!!
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Tiffany Probus
Tiffany Probus marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Stacey Braun
Stacey Braun marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Kenzie Swanson
Kenzie Swanson marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Cheryl Willams
Cheryl Willams marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Kristal Back
Kristal Back marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
  • Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World
  • Sarah's Christmas Miracle
  • Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
  • Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
  • An Amish Wedding
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • Daily Reflections on the Names of God: A Devotional
  • Following Your Heart (Fields Of Home #2)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • A Plain and Simple Christmas
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...