Start by marking “Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts: Recipes for Healthy and Delicious Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Scones, Pies, Puddings, Breads and Pizzas” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT HEALTHY TOO

Standard baked goods come with a hefty price on your health—weight gain, cholesterol and diabetes, as well as allergies for many people. Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts shows how to bring taboo treats back to the baking sheet with mouth-watering recipes that transform diet-busting favorites into guilt-free wonders.

Published June 9th 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Baking and Desserts

Cris
I found Keough's fervency more than a little off-putting. She comes off as strident rather than persuasive.

Keough advocates gluten-free and sugar-free baking resulting in a multitude of ingredients that I'd imagine most casual bakers aren't familiar with. (If you already know how to use various agaves and erythritol or stevia as a substitute for sugar, you'll at least be able to follow the recipes herein.) Moreover Keough fails to provide a straightforward, understandable rule-of-thumb to use wh
Jaq
Okay my issue with this is simple - when you use the word sugar free - to me that implies that the sweet is reduced....how wrong I was - some recipes call for stevia and agave, so I'm wondering if it's not pandering to the sweet tooth anyway.....

Still it's full of interesting takes on traditional and new recipes, which is always a great place to start and learn how to adapt to a gluten free existence.
Gillian
Wow, what an eye-opener. There aren't many books where you can say that they literally changed how you think about food, eating, and cooking, but this one, for me anyway, is certainly one of them. As someone who is working hard to lose a substantial amount of weight for various health reasons, including recently diagnosed diabetes, and primary lymphoedema this is a very interesting - and perhaps invaluable - read. Highly recommended. There does seem to be quite an involved and potentially costly ...more
Mindy
I LOVE this book! There are so many amazing recipes but the best part is that she takes the time to explain the science and reason to gluten free and sugar free baking. There are tables and an extensive appendix for substitutions, allowing the reader to know just what to expect from the substitutions. It's so well written! you jusst know that these are recipes she's actually tried! I really appreciate how much work went into this book!
Try the sugarless sugar cookies- they are everyones favorites
Amanda
Fantastic conversion list in the back for alternative sweeteners, flours, eggs and oils. The wicked awesome peanut butter waffles were good although guar gum (instead of the corn-derived) xanthan, was a little hard on my system. I've foregone it in other recipes, so I probably will leave it out next time. Otherwise- lots of good recipes I hope to try out. I'm only gluten and corn-free, so I used the conversion list in reverse to make it work for me.
Stacy
Excellent book. So many cookbooks are just pages of recipes but Keough includes useful information like standard ingredients, substitution guides and explanations of the new pantry items we'll need. This is exactly what I was looking for in a sugar-free cookbook!
Carol
Keough addresses a wholesome dietary approach that avoids quick metabolizing ingredients. A good read for the gluten intolerant.
Alejandra Reyes
Alejandra Reyes marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
DyJuan
DyJuan is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
100 Best Gluten-Free Recipes for Your Vegan Kitchen: Delicious Smoothies, Soups, Salads, Entrees, and Desserts The Sweet Truth: A Sugar Free / Wheat Free Kitchen