Start by marking “Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2)” as Want to Read:
Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2)

Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  842 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Actors do love their dramas, and the members of the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society are no exception. Passionate love scenes, fits of ego, jealous rages, operatic reconciliations--put together, they’re better than a paycheck, which is good thing, because no one in this production of Amadeus is getting one. However, even the most theatrically minded have to admit that murd ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Avon Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Death Of A Hollow Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Of A Hollow Man

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardDoctors in Hell by Janet E. MorrisDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Dead by James Joyce
Wanted Dead or Alive
241st out of 284 books — 30 voters
The Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyKing Lear by William ShakespeareBarchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
The Tarot
211th out of 225 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Fanficfan44
Jun 18, 2014 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a Midsomer Murders binge lately. Being laid up off and on with my ankle injury, I have watched the whole series on Acorn TV and loved it. I finally decided to start reading the books. This is the second in the book series.

An all round good mystery read, Death of a Hollow Man, was adapted very closely in the TV series. The characters of Barnaby, Joyce, Cully and Troy were all here. Cully didn’t have much space devoted to her but the reader still develops a sense of who she is as a
Daniel Weir
Apr 10, 2016 Daniel Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I found particularly good about this was, not the mystery of whodunit, but the characters and the problems they faced that had nothing to do with the murder.
Katherine Clark
Sep 30, 2015 Katherine Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Tom Barnaby series, and the second (or third) time I've read it. The first in the series didn't hold up that well, so I was nervous when I began this one, but oh, it is so wonderful. Graham does an amazing job developing fully-fleshed characters, even including fully-fleshed animal characters. I cared about what happened to these people. The murder didn't occur until after page 150, and mythical no-no in mysteries, and that didn't matter to me. The stakes were the relat ...more
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction-uk
Oh, I should never watch the dramatization of a novel if I'm planning to read it, because I actually knew the identity of the killer before I started. I love the Inspector Barnaby murder mysteries dramatized on the Biography channel, and they have renewed my interest in Caroline Graham's books which have just been sitting here, unread, on my shelves for years.

So on to this book: who would like it? Anyone who's followed the series on television would enjoy it; anyone who likes British mysteries w
Judy
Aug 12, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important part of the cultural life of many small towns is community theater and the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society of Causton, England is no exception. On the opening night of their production of Amadeus, the leading man grabbed a "safe" razor from the prop tray during a scene toward the end of the play and drew it across his throat in a very dramatic manner in full view of the audience. Unfortunately, someone had removed the tape from the razor's edge and the actor bled to death on stage. ...more
Tempo de Ler
Jun 17, 2014 Tempo de Ler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O enredo de 'Morte em Palco' não é extraordinariamente complexo mas o tom divertido e ligeiramente irónico com que é narrado, aliado à poderosa capacidade de descrição e caracterização da autora - Caroline Graham - fazem deste livro um policial extraordinário.

Graham demora o seu tempo a descrever-nos as personagens e os respectivos problemas pessoais, levando-nos pela mão enquanto nos apresenta as diversas delícias e venenos do teatro amador, mantendo-nos alerta a pistas ainda antes do crime ac
Maria
Apr 11, 2014 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, leituras-2014
Neste segundo livro de Caroline Graham publicado na série Crime à Hora do Chá, o inspector Tom Barnaby vai-se deparar com um crime um tanto ou quanto peculiar.

Na estreia de uma peça de teatro amador, em Causten, uma pequena localidade britânica, um dos actores principais é assassinado. Mas o crime é quase perfeito. Na hora do protagonista fingir um suicídio com uma lâmina, que deveria ter sido protegida com fita adesiva, esta torna-se real e o actor acaba por morrer em palco. A assistir à peça e
Nancy Ellis
Feb 20, 2016 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it
I love the TV series Midsomer Murders, so it was a pleasure to read one of books that inspired it. So many delightful characters and a story line that was most entertaining. Somehow there's always a murder wherever we find Inspector Barnaby or his wife Joyce!
Belle
Sep 27, 2015 Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen the television show they made of it, so I already knew who the murderer was, but I don't think it was very obvious. However I can't comment on whether or not you could see it coming. Like the show, I didn't particularly like Sergeant Troy--who seems a bigger ass in the book and is married to a woman he cheats on, an aspect that was removed from the show if I remember correctly. And in the show, he changes, but that's not important because he's really not a main character anyway.

The mur
Justine Olawsky
Jul 30, 2014 Justine Olawsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another murder mystery by Caroline Graham, this time one with her sleuth, Inspector Barnaby. Very well done -- nicely-drawn characters, real atmosphere, and a snappy plot. As pleasing a distraction as you are likely to find, if you find pleasant distraction in British who-dun-its (which I obviously do).

The community theatre group of Causton is gearing up for another theatrical extravaganza under the imperious thumb of impresario and director Harold Winstanley. This time, they are putting on Ama
Mary Kay  Kare
Jan 23, 2016 Mary Kay Kare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-british
First of all, this is in no way an objective review. It's exactly the kind of book I adore and find very seldom these days. It delighted my heart more than you can imagine.

Our cast of characters is literally that, the members of an community theatre group as they prepare to present the play Amadeus. We spend time with each and get to know their lives and interactions. In a very leisurely, delightful way, full of insight, wisdom, & the author's obvious affection for them. The murder doesn't
Andreia Silva
Um palco, uma peça de teatro e um grupo de encenação com personagens caricatas e um tanto ou quanto esquisitas, juntos, com a promessa de haver um crime pelo meio. Podemos resumir a premissa de "Morte em Palco" assim e podemos pensar estarmos perante uma obra de afiar a curiosidade.

Não sei o que acontece convosco mas quando leio um policial, gosto que haja sangue-e-tripas e gosto que a autora não em enrole. Eu sei que vai haver um crime, por isso não gosto que passem quarenta por cento das págin
E.
Compared to the previous book in the series, this was a slow one. The body doesn't show up until the half-way mark. Due to the complicated relationships between the characters and the fact that Inspector Barnaby was familiar with most of the suspects, having worked on previous sets for the CADS, a certain amount of set-up was necessary for the story. It would have felt forced and unnatural to shoehorn all that information and backstory in after the murder. However, just because I understand why ...more
Sofia Teixeira
Estreei-me com Caroline Graham no primeiro volume desta colecção - Morte na Aldeia - e foi com entusiasmo que peguei em mais uma das suas histórias. Com um desenvolver de história um pouco mais lento do que aquele que esperava, Morte em Palco mostrou-se uma leitura fácil, cheia de peripécias e com muitas interrogações.

O cenário leva-nos para um palco de teatro em que os seus protagonistas são personagens muito curiosos. Cada actor tem as suas manias e todos buscam os seus momentos de ribalta, un
Vanja
Dec 13, 2015 Vanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smrt praznog čovjeka
Znanje, 2015.

Još jedan zanimljiv krimić Caroline Graham o zločinu u Midsomeru. Budući da se (samo)ubojstvo dogodilo na sceni pred prepunim kazalištem, u čijim je redovima sjedio i sam inspektor Branaby, dok mu je žena bila na pozornici, Barnaby je ovaj put u velikoj prednosti jer poznaje sve osumnjičene. I on je doista kao lik nenadmašan - fin, miran i uglađen ali iz njega se točno može osjetiti kako zna u kojem smjeru dokazi upućuju a u kojem ne.
Nakon tipično podužeg uvoda
Karolien
Review below is in Dutch because I have read it in that language.

Ik ben een grote fan van de televisieserie Midsomer Murders op televisie en daarom wou ik ontzettend graag dit boek lezen.
Ik vond het vlot geschreven en eigenlijk vind ik het wel jammer dat ik geen Engelstalige versie heb gevonden.

Een deel van de spanning was er wel af omdat ik al wist van de aflevering wie de moordenaar was. Toch was het interessant omdat je meer te weten komt over de hoofdpersonages.

Zo weet ik dat Joyce Barnaby e
Rog Harrison
Jan 19, 2014 Rog Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read this. This is different from the first book as it is really the story of the people involved in an amateur dramatic society and the murder does not take place until well into the book. Barnaby is slightly involved as his wife is part of the group and both he and his sergeant, Troy, are in the audience when the crime occurs on stage at the theatre. Barnaby and Troy begin their investigation but the story of the characters involved continues with the author drop ...more
Cheryl
Feb 22, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The author builds the characters for the first third of the book. It was rather confusing as there were many characters and it was hard for me to keep them all straight. The murder finally happens and the Inspector gets to work solving the murder. Then it is hard to put down. I wanted to discover the culprit. It was who I suspected as it turned out; but not for the reasons it was done.

This is the basis for the Inspector Barnaby mysteries on BBC. The main characters for the series are here; but
Shawn
Jul 27, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Drama, drama, drama. Of course there is drama, it is a cozy mystery after all. In this case; however, it does involve the theatre! The cast and crew of the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society is working hard to be ready for opening night when the leading man is commits suicide during dress rehearsal right in front of Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby and his faithful sidekick, Detective Sergeant Troy. Closed case, right? Not so much and everyone wanted him dead, even his pregnant wife!

Lovely ch
Damaskcat
Nov 04, 2012 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The local amateur dramatic group is rehearsing for Peter Shaffer’s Amadeus and Joyce Barnaby, wife of Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby, has a small part in the production along with being wardrobe mistress. Her husband is helping with painting the scenery. But relations between the actors are not all they might be and Harold Winstanley, the director, is putting people’s backs up and is as usual very full of himself. Tensions rise as the first night approaches leading to a headline performan ...more
Wanda
Having watched the series, grown fond of the lead characters, their relationships and interactions with one another, and their contrast to the dysfunctional, disturbed and sometimes horrific villagers, I was looking forward to Graham's books.

After all, the criminals are brought to justice, and we learn more about the stable, sane Barnaby family, feeling glad we have spent time with them, at the end of each episode. We can see growth in Troy, from sometimes naive, sometimes dense, and sometimes
Sheila Beaumont
Like all the other books in Caroline Graham's series, Death of a Hollow Man is a very enjoyable read. It's a combination village cozy and police procedural, with a fun satirical edge and great characterization.

I read all of these books several years ago, and since I started watching the "Midsomer Murders" TV dramatizations, I've been reading each book before I watch the corresponding TV episode. Yes, that means I already know whodunit, but it's so much fun to see how closely the episode follows
Rage
Feb 08, 2015 Rage rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
much of "death of a hollow man" is the minute detailing of characters' deeply flawed personalities and complete detachment from reality. the murder doesn't occur for a good hundred or so pages, and the characters are all so entirely unlikeable that it doesn't seem particularly important to find who did it or why. for me, it felt like graham was trying to be too clever or cute, so characters are always wriggling and dandling and having butterball hands and flossy curls etc etc. incredibly patheti ...more
Bill Wehrmacher
Interesting who-done-it story line, beautifully drawn characters. As I read it, it seemed there was superfluous story lines that really did nothing to add confusion to DCI Barnaby problem solving.

This book was the source for the third in the Midsomer Murders British TV series which I have enjoyed immensely. To be honest, I didn't understand why the same plot diversion was included in the TV version. Oh well, I guess the diversion is lost in my reading.
Taksya
Apr 12, 2014 Taksya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _abbandonati_
Sarà che ricordavo perfettamente la puntata della serie TV che ne hanno tratto (cosa che non capita spesso), sarà che nel libro l'autrice perde molto più tempo a descrivere, analizzare e fare del gossip sui personaggi, trascorrendo i primi due terzi del libro senza entrare nell'azione (delitto)... ma non sono riuscita neppure ad arrivare al momento focale del racconto. So chi muore, ricordo perché e chi è stato... ma mi è passata la voglia di riscoprirlo...
verbava
цей сюжет я пам'ятала з якоїсь серії "суто англійських убивств" – смерть занадто мальовнича, щоб її легко було забути: актор на сцені під час прем'єри перерізає собі горло небезпечною бритвою. решта деталей, щоправда, мені десь погубилася, а може, постановники серіалу й не дотримувалися їх особливо (то не дуже мене здивувало б, бо, наприклад, сержант трой у книжках і сержант трой у фільмах – двоє цілковито різних троїв).
Lynn
Oct 27, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the series (I've also read #1 & #3), and it is a delightful series. Graham creates strong characters and strong plots, and her prose is just so funny and sharp.

I felt the resolution of this one was tacked-on, though, since no hint was given to anyone, including Sgt. Troy, about whodunnit. I'll excuse her, though, because the rest of the book was so fine. And I'll read the next one.
BeParticular
This was quite slow to start, but I ending up liking it well enough. There was too much of the minutia of running a local theater, but the character revelations were fun. The murder method was pretty clever.
Jan Wim
Agatha Cristie revisited. Very well written with a good eye for detail. If you're into Englishness .. This is it. The end was not very surprising, but still a good read. 5 sterren in de VN thrillergids.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
Amateur dramatics doesn't usually end in such a graphic and bloody death, but Causton Amateur Dramatic Society did pride itself on being different from the rest of the pack. The leading man played the part of Salieri a little too convincingly in this season's "Amadeus." At least this time Inspector Barnaby has a bit of an in since his wife is part of the cast and he knows all the suspects.

I like this series, although it can get a little too graphic for my taste. This one is the best I've read. S
Goodreads Librari...: Merge suggestion 4 23 Feb 29, 2012 08:48AM
  • Death and the Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • Zwyczajne życie (Tereska i Okrętka, #1)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Now You See Her
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • The Season: A Candid Look at Broadway
  • Death in the Garden
  • A Chill Rain in January
  • Sea Change
Caroline Graham is an English playwright, screenwriter and novelist. She attended the Open University, and received a degree in writing for the theatre from the University of Birmingham.

Series:
* Chief Inspector Barnaby

More about Caroline Graham...

Chief Inspector Barnaby (7 books)
  • The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1)
  • Death In Disguise (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #3)
  • Written In Blood (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #4)
  • Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)
  • A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6)
  • A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7)