Start by marking “The Champion” as Want to Read:
The Champion

The Champion

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  948 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Alexander de Montroi, a knight skilled in love and war, joins his brother Hervi in Normandy. He soon has a passionate night with Monday, a young girl in Hervi's guardianship, that leaves her pregnant and betrayed. By chance the two meet years later and must face the wrath of unexpected adversaries.
Published December 1st 1998 by St Martins Pr (first published June 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Champion

Outlander by Diana GabaldonGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick
Hunks in History
23rd out of 136 books — 248 voters
The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanWhen Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay PenmanKatherine by Anya SetonFalls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman
Historical Fiction: The House of Plantagenet
42nd out of 202 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

MAP
Ultimately predictable and everything wraps up a little too neatly. I keep trying to give Chadwick a chance, but other than The Greatest Knight, I just can't get into her books.
Barb
I have to say that the slightly flawed plot line, stereotypical love story and predictable and somewhat tidy ending did not stand in the way of my enjoyment of this book on the whole.

This is the second Elizabeth Chadwick novel I have read. The first being 'The Greatest Knight' about the rise of William Marshall. While I enjoyed the details of that novel the narration was somewhat dry. And while the emotional aspect of this novel seemed more predictable the details of the setting and time were ve
Ange
Career advancement for knights:

‘Then it is likely true,’ Alexander said politely, and used his eating knife to cut his own portion of food into bite-sized slivers. He did not want to appear too finicky, but he also wanted to show that he was aware of the manners of the court as well as those of the camp.

Many young knights had been invited to sit at William Marshal’s board. Alexander had fought against some of them in the course of the tourney. One or two he had defeated; with others, the encount
Sibylla Matilde
Misfit
While this is not Chadwick's best, her second best is far above many other writers of historical fiction. It is always time travel with one of her novels, wrapping you up in the sights, sounds and even smells of the period. An interesting concept using the tourney circuit as a back drop, giving you an entrance into an area most of us know nothing about. Of course the hero is wonderful, the villains truly evil and true love wins out in the end.
Theresa
Enjoyable book. Parts of the story were slow reading. The ending was the part I was drawn into the most. Was transported to earlier days, but felt like I was outside looking in rather than drawn into the times.
Vicki
also posted here: http://lilmissvixreads.blogspot.co.uk

Elizabeth Chadwick has long been one of my favourite authors. Lords of the White Castle is the first book of hers that I read many years ago, and I have been hooked on her work ever since!

From the moment that I read the blurb for The Champion I was hooked:

"Fleeing a scandalous chapter of clerical corruption at an English monastery, young Alexander de Montroi arrives in Normandy in the spring of 1103, desperate to become one of the great knig
Terri
This book had it's bland moments, but all in all, once I waded through those parts that were bogging me down, I discovered that I had actually enjoyed it. I have quite a few E.Chadwick books and though I keep buying them I have a bit of a problem with her female characters. I find them lacklustre, depressing and pretty much devoid of personality. There are slight glimmers of endearing qualities or spirit, but they never persist. It's probably just me. Everyone get's something different from each ...more
Elaine
Once again, Chadwick has beguiled me with a wonderfully wrought tale, of medieval life, romance and intrigue. She truly is a gifted author who never ceases to please. Her characters are excellent-very believable, although for some reason I tend to find the males much more interesting than the females. The plot veers on the side of predictable, whilst the frequent explanations of medieval life are hugely appreciatted.

Monday is the female protagonist. Her mother ran away from home to marry one of
Nisareen
Aug 25, 2012 Nisareen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nisareen by: Deborah O'Regan
Set against the backdrop of tourney circuits, monasteries and the royal courts of both King Richard and John during the late 12th and early 13th century, The Champion tells the story of the tumultuous love affair between Alexander de Montroi and Monday de Cerizay after they meet on the jousting tourney fields of France.

Having fled the sexual advances of a corrupt priest in the monastery where he had been pledged, Alexander de Montroi arrives in Normandy and pleads with his brother Hervi, a trave
Lauren
The romance genre, for me, is like bacon. For a long time, I hated bacon and refused to eat it. Slowly, but surely, over the years I have developed a taste for it, but only when mixed with other tastes. If bacon is part of a dish with other ingredients, and not just crispy strips of lonely bacon, then I can eat it with relish. So, too, the romance genre. I find I like it best when mixed into a nice dish of historical fiction.

I liked this book, a lot in places. I enjoye the author's grasp of det
Jacey
Elizabeth Chadwick is another of this year’s discoveries. I haven’t read historicals for years but this might just lead me back into them again. Her writing is crisp and emotive and her research meticulous.

Alexander de Montroi, dedicated to the church as a child and now grown to a pretty teen, flees a lecherous prior and arrives at his older brother’s encampment on the French tourney circuit half dead from the privations of the journey. He’s scrawny and sick but soon recovers to learn the art an
Rosemary Morris
Disgusted by the corruption in an English monastery,where he has been flogged for a minor misdemeanor,Alexander de Montroi flees to his older brother in Normandy, where he learns to excel in tourneys.

Monday, whose mother ran away from her father, Lord of Stafford, to marry a mere knight who earns his living in tourneys, dreams of being a lady gowned in silk instead of a sempstress.

Alexander and Monday's friendship is corrupted when, inebriated, they make love. Monday runs away to bear her child.
Terri Pray
Jan 03, 2012 Terri Pray rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical fans, Historical Romance
Beautifully researched, The Champion by Elizabeth Chadwick is both an endearing love story and an in-depth historical novel. Set in the late 12th and early 13th century, The Champion tells the story of Monday de Cerizay and Alexander de Montroi, from when they meet on the tourney circuit through to a well deserved happy and settled ending far away from the uncertain times of that circuit.

Neither Monday nor Alexander are perfect, making some foolish choices - some through rash decisions and some
Allison G
Another good book by Chadwick. It was interesting to read about knights and the tourney circuit - some history I had never read about before. While the book was good and held my interest, I'm kind of tired of neatly tied up happy endings in every book I read. I guess that's not so much a criticism of Chadwick though as much as my yearning for some reality - life does not always have a happy ending!

This is the second Chadwick book I've read. I was kind of hoping to see some of the same character
Catherine
This was the first Elizabeth Chadwick novel I've read. I really enjoyed it. I thought her descriptions of the period were interesting, but not so detailed that they slowed down the story. I liked that the story was about people not born to wealth and how their life was. I have found that so many medieval stories seem to be about those born to wealth or who marry into it. I liked that this story was a little different.

It is the story of Alexander who flees life in the Monastery for a life with h
Carmen
A young man makes a fatal mistake. He fools around with someone he's not supposed to. And so the story begins. He goes through many trials and tribulations, great distances, and has to prove himself to be worthy to marry the woman he falls in love with. Basically he grows up.
Dark-Draco
This is the second book by this author I have read, and I think I'm becoming a firm fan. It is set in 1193, on the tourney fields of France. Monday is born to a runaway noble woman and a poor knight but when they both die, she comes under the care of her father's friend, Hervi. But Hervi's younger brother, Alexander, soon falls in love and takes advantage of her. Pregnant and destitute, she runs away, determined to find a better life for herself and her illegitimate child. But war is brewing and ...more
Maddie D
Probably one of my favorite. Its very believable and historical and yet keeps you tied to it. I love the characters and the story.

Monday is a very realistic, down to earth sort of character. . I love that we get to watch as she grows both as a character and as a key part of the story itself. I love that both Monday and Alexander get the future that they always dreamed of. .. . yet with costs and a lot of cons. They get what they want only to realize that none of it was ever what it seemed. Mond
Jade Kennedy
The Champion is one of my all time favourites from Elizabeth Chadwick. I loved the whole story, the tumultuous love affair between Alexander and Monday, the life changing events that happen to Hervi to the heart breaking story of Monday's parents. Monday's life story is fascinating. Born on the tourney grounds she weaves her way through life becoming, a single parent, seamstress and royal mistress.

The story is fast paced, varied and full of emotion. The wonderful story is all set against the con
Gaile
Alexander and Monday are star crossed lovers. Monday runs away from him thinking he doesn't love him and becomes Prince John's mistress. In the meantime, Alexander while trying to find her has many adventures and run in. Monday's mother had run away from an arranged marriage. Monday's grandfather hearing of her begins looking for her himself thinking to make her an advantageous marriage. This leads to murder and mayhem involving on Eudo Le Boucher, a very unlikeable character. For those who enjo ...more
Sharon
Gripping historical fiction concerning the world of Richard Lion-Heart and John Lackland. Chadwick tends to cast historical figures in background roles and devotes most of her story to her well-drawn fictional characters. Some new information to me about the development of jousting tournaments in France and England and an intriguing sub-plot about a knight-turned-monk.
Rachel
Pretty good read and a good insight into life and times of knights and jousting tournaments. It held my attention and had good characters. It does involve Prince John who was a pretty unsavory character so you might have to skip a few of his scenes but it was a well written medevil book.
Anne
The plot was pretty predictable, but it was a good read nonetheless. I enjoy thoroughly researched historical novels, with an authentic feel to the environment, and this had that quality. The characters were a trifle contrived at some points, but overall well done.
Hilary
Sep 29, 2007 Hilary added it
Starts in 1193. France and England. Follows a tourney night, his brother, a girl/woman whose parents were also on the tourney circuit. Richard Lionheart, then King John. The story wasn’t fabulous, but it was a good story. No heartstrings tugged, but a good novel.
Lin
The book was a bit predictable, but still enjoyable. I really enjoyed reading about the tourney knights and the camp life, they were the stars this time round. The Marshal, Coeur de Lion, John all feature, but in minor roles.
C
Discovered this author while in London last summer. Now, I am hooked on these English tales of knighthood, which take place during the reigns of Henry II and his two sons Richard the Lionheart and John.
Kendra
I got this book free on my nook and it was surprisingly good. It was long, but interesting. I wish though it was not part of a series, I'm not sure I am dedicated to it enough to keep reading.
jallioop
another good one from Elizabeth Chadwick. I think I liked The Greatest Knight best so far, but all of her books are enjoyable. I'll definitely read more.
Melissa
One of my favorite Chadwick books. I have read all of hers and love all her medieval depictions, but this one especially stands out for me.
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • The First Princess of Wales
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Lute Player
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Treason
  • I Am the Chosen King (The Saxon Series #2)
  • Devil's Brood  (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3)
  • The de Lacy Inheritance
  • To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • King Hereafter
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1)
Best selling historical novelist Elizabeth Chadwick won a Betty Trask Award for her first novel The Wild Hunt. She has been shortlisted for the UK's mainstream Best Romantic Novel of the Year Award 4 times and longlisted twice. Her novel The Scarlet Lion about the great William Marshal and his wife Isabelle de Clare, has been selected by Richard Lee, founder of the Historical Novel Society as one ...more
More about Elizabeth Chadwick...
The Greatest Knight (William Marshal, #2) The Scarlet Lion (William Marshal, #3) Lady of the English To Defy a King A Place Beyond Courage (William Marshal, #1)