Start by marking “The Odyssey” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey

The Odyssey

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
With its inspired counterpointing of Homeric and Caribbean themes, Derek Walcott's new play, commissioned by Britain's Royal Shakespeare Company, springs from the same imaginative sources as his epic poem Omeros.

Episodes of the story of Odysseus' protracted wanderings from fallen Troy to his island home of Ithaca are pungently interspersed with a commentary by the blind si
Published July 1st 1993 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odyssey

Jenn
Jun 30, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
I liked the twists on the traditional story of the Odyssey, but I especially liked that the bard, Billy Blue, spoke in an island dialect, as did the servants.
Niamh Kelly
Oct 26, 2015 Niamh Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to read this for my Origins & Transformations module at Uni and I really did not like it.
Half the time characters were talking it was like the conversation didn't flow because one character would say one thing then the other would say something that didn't sound like it was of any relevance to what the former said.
Another problem I had was I struggled to imagine it being staged and seeing as this is a play... that's not very good.
Greg
Sep 18, 2012 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walcott reinvents the Odyssey by breathing Caribbean language into Homer's epic, all the while remaining true to the story itself (at least the high points, as the stage version is dramatically shorter). I love the double meaning implied in lines such as that of Captain Mentes when he says of Odysseus's tricks: "I too saw the wooden horse blocking the stars." There a great declamations like that of Menelaus ("What are men? Children who doubt.") and the Philosopher ("The future happens. No matter ...more
Michael Pennington
Fantastic. I loved the interweaving of the st Lucian vernacular with Homer's mythology.
Asma Fedosia
Oct 09, 2010 Asma Fedosia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story parallels Homer's "Odyssey", the twenty-year, sea-going adventure of the Trojan hero and his reclaiming the kingship of Ithaca from the hundred-plus suitors intent upon it and upon wooing Penelope his wife. In this stage version of the epic, Walcott introduces Caribbean dialogue and plays with double word meanings. Well worth the reading by a Nobel Laureate.
Stuart
Aug 20, 2011 Stuart rated it it was amazing
I love this adaptation of the ODYSSEY. It is almost complete, it is stunningly beautiful, and having done it myself, it is also very stage-able, with lots of room for actors and directors and designers to move and play.
meeners
Oct 19, 2008 meeners rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play, mythology
what can i say? every single line is a thing of utter beauty. every single line.
elsbeth
Apr 01, 2007 elsbeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Derek Walcott is amazing--but we all knew that already.
Pinky
Sep 12, 2007 Pinky rated it really liked it
A beautiful version of the classic in the Caribbean.
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
C.
C. marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
B Sarv
B Sarv rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Brittany De Sousa
Brittany De Sousa rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Magcal
Magcal added it
May 03, 2016
Brigid
Brigid added it
Mar 25, 2016
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Muhnnad
Muhnnad marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Santiago U. Diazgranados
Santiago U. Diazgranados marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Daniel Zulauf
Daniel Zulauf rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Dyllan Mathurin
Dyllan Mathurin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sarah added it
Dec 22, 2015
Mel Ashton
Mel Ashton rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Sidharth Vardhan
Sidharth Vardhan marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Urh
Urh rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 17, 2015
Chinook
Chinook marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
John Stammers
John Stammers rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Ernestas Vascenka
Ernestas Vascenka marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Collected Plays 2 {The Lion and the Jewel; Kongi's Harvest; The Trials of Brother Jero; Jero's Metamorphosis; Madmen and Specialists}
  • The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles' Philoctetes
  • Gods and Mortals: Modern Poems on Classical Myths
  • Modern Irish Drama
  • The Doctor and the Devils
  • The Fifteen Minute Hamlet
  • Plays: Mrs. Warren's Profession / Arms and the Man / Candida / Man and Superman
  • The Darker Face of the Earth
  • Saved
  • Cain a Mystery
  • Collected Poems in English and French
  • The Cocktail Party
Derek Walcott is a Caribbean poet, playwright, writer and visual artist. Born in Castries, St. Lucia, he won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1992 "for a poetic oeuvre of great luminosity, sustained by a historical vision, the outcome of a multicultural commitment."

His work, which developed independently of the schools of magic realism emerging in both South America and Europe at around the time
More about Derek Walcott...

“The future happens. No matter how much we scream.” 53 likes