Start by marking “Achilles and Hector: The Homeric Hero” as Want to Read:
Achilles and Hector: The Homeric Hero

Achilles and Hector: The Homeric Hero

Seth Benardete's study of the Iliad, which initiated his scholarly career, bears the hallmarks of the unique turn of mind that characterized all his later work. In a brief Note written thirty years later, included in this volume, he looks back on what he sees as the limits of his original reading of the Iliad. Yet he seems to have been aware of the fundamental problems fro ...more
Published July 20th 2005 by St. Augustine's Press (first published July 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Achilles and Hector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Achilles and Hector

Oct 18, 2014 Bertport rated it really liked it
Benardete gives us a close reading, grounded in the Greek itself, to the point that he draws conclusions from counts of specific words in various contexts. He also has much of The Odyssey, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, etc. at hand when the occasion calls for it.

In the introduction, Benardete discusses the general role of Homer's epithets, which I always thought of as formulaic metric and/or mnemonic fillers. He says that these epithets contribute essential meaning and theme to the epic. Then
Jan 17, 2011 Liam rated it it was amazing
War fought for personal revenge by Menelaus, then for fame by all heroes, then for personal revenge by Achilles, who rejoins the world of heroes in visit of Priam. The first part discusses how similes and formula fit into the themes and patterns. If we understand the epithets then we understand the plot.
Nov 03, 2015 Brendan rated it it was amazing
The deep admiration and love I hold towards this work is scarcely describable. It will forever remain my favourite work of Classical scholarship ever written.
Parul Goel
Parul Goel rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
les zephyrman
les zephyrman rated it it was ok
May 22, 2012
Nathaniel Cochran
Nathaniel Cochran rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Feb 10, 2013 Popebrak rated it it was amazing
English fails.
Zach rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Þróndr rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Denis Ambrose
Denis Ambrose rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Ariston rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Henri rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2011
Chris Berger
Chris Berger rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
I-kai rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Carolyn rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2011