Start by marking “Weird Pennsylvania: Your Travel Guide to Pennsylvania's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets” as Want to Read:

Weird Pennsylvania: Your Travel Guide to Pennsylvania's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Praise for Weird Pennsylvania:

“Fun, amazing, and arrestingly illustrated.” —Booklist

“…a real fine read and can serve as a travel guide for a trek among the unusual, odd and scary parts of our “weird” state.” —Pennsylvania Magazine
Published May 5th 2009 by Sterling (first published July 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Weird Pennsylvania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird Pennsylvania

Todd Stockslager
Review title: April Fool's roadtrip
This coffee table book is perfect for taking an April Fool's road trip from your armchair. No need to head north (for me) back to PA where I'm from to experience these roadside oddities. After all, its only April 1, and it could still be snowing somewhere in PA, especially the western part of the state where I grew up.

Two problems with books like this:

1). Manufactured weirdness, courtesy of publishers in search of an audience or local visitors' bureaus in sear
Jennie
Dec 23, 2009 Jennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: spooky-things
At first, I wasn't sure what to make of this book. The short, choppy bits of text written by different authors and grouped loosely around generic topics without many transitions were a little off-putting to me, until I changed my perspective a bit. I had to force myself out of my typical book-reading mindset (you know, looking for a beginning, middle, and end, and some sort of coherent plot line/argument), and pretend I was reading a giant scrapbook. Once I got the hang of this new outlook, I en ...more
Karen Powell
Aug 14, 2015 Karen Powell rated it it was amazing
First, there was "Weird New Jersey." But we Pa. residents knew that our local tales and legends could rival any Pine Barrens camper's story about the Jersey Devil. As if to confirm this, the "Weird" team assembled Pennsylvania's most memorable quirks in a most entertaining book. The books covers oddities, legends, rumors, monsters, aliens, gates to hell, ghosts... Pa. is big, but who knew there was room for all this crazy stuff? Reading this book will have you itching for a road trip.[return][re ...more
Marissa
Jun 17, 2015 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe in any of this supernatural stuff, but I am hella entertained by these stories! these books (there's one for every state) are chock full of wacky local folklore, and PA being my home state and whatnot, this is obviously the one I'm the most interested in.
Victoria
Sep 28, 2012 Victoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really wanted this to be a fun book. Sadly, it was vague, repetitive, and dull. It was like reading a self-published book of ghost stories that you get in a gift shop at a crappy local museum. The photos don't have captions. There are no maps. It's poorly organized and needs a decent index. The stories have so little detail, you wouldn't be able to FIND any of the places described. If I was intrigued by any of the stories, I'd have to go research somewhere else for the full story. There are NO ...more
Michelle
Jan 07, 2013 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the Weird Books. I wanted to love this one as well, but the book was as boring and dry as driving through the state on Interstate 81. Is it the state that's boring or is it the authors writing about the state? I'm going with the author on this one because I can't believe the entire state of Pennsylvania is made up of satanic cults, the amish, various tidbits about the quakers, coal, and William Penn. The little sidebits written in by people of have sent in the stories?? Most of them have ...more
Ray Winter
Jul 15, 2015 Ray Winter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed from the library for my still adolescent nephew then he told me he had read it 30 years ago !
Lori Schiele
Weird Pennsylvania was written by the authors who published Weird United States and Weird New Jersey. Some of the entries are funny, some scary, and some boring. I admittedly read the majority of each section but didn't necesarily read all of the entire pieces.

If anyone is interested in strange sites, hauntings, unexplained formations (like on Easter Island- not in PA, of course. Just an example )and bizarre phenomenon located in Pennsylvania, this is one of the most bizarre non-fiction books I
Jarret Stoner
Mar 04, 2016 Jarret Stoner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This opened my eyes to new books and awesome places to explore around my home that I would have never even known about!
Eden
Weird Pennsylvania is a great book. I've known about some of the places in the book for awhile, but there was so much I didn't know about. Lots of great information about different haunted and weird places in Pennsylvania.

It's a really great book to read if you want to know about Pennsylvania's 'weirdness' and want to check out some of the locations as well. I know after reading this book I'm definitely going to be checking out some of the places.
Beau Schemery
Feb 19, 2013 Beau Schemery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. It's renewed my interest in my home state. There are a bunch of places I need to check out now. I'll have to find a brave soul or two willing to join me. Particularly Centralia, Storybook Land and the old Turnpike tunnels. Allons-y.
Elyse
Mar 10, 2016 Elyse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With blessings from the creators of Weird NJ, a Brit and current resident of the Keystone State was chosen to chronicle the weirdness of NJ's neighbor state. He had plenty of bizarre legends, roadside oddities, and mysteries to make a very funny book.
Christian Baloga
This book was made for individuals like me! I've visited many of the weird places in this book and plan to visit a lot more in the future. Check out my photo gallery of the places I've been HERE.
Tara
May 18, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great look at weird and haunted locations in my home state. Its great to read about familiar and unfamiliar locations in PA. I have used this book for some weekend trip ideas to check out some Weird PA locations.
Ali
Sep 21, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being from PA i decided to read this book to see what weird things I could find out about this state, come to find out I live nearby many things in this book and in fact have seen them! Pretty interesting.
PJ Carroll
Oct 13, 2008 PJ Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book containing locations and background information about PA's haunts, oddities, and things-that-go-bump. Easy read and interesting. Can't wait to check out some of these sites!!
The Subway Reader
interesting book but 5 years old, therefor sadly a bit outdated, abandoned places that were accessible at the time of publication are now no longer accessible or are simply gone.
Austin B
Jan 19, 2012 Austin B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was really really good. I loved all of the weird animal/people in the book. I would recommend this book to people that like wierd thing like monsters.
Wendy
Jenn
Jul 30, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oddity
I paged through this book and did not realize all the weird places there are in PA. When i go on a roadtrip i will bring it with and try to see more weird places.
Marinesgtshe
Mar 22, 2013 Marinesgtshe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very interesting and spooky. It actually gave me chills at some points. If you want a book that tells great stories and legends, this is the one!
Manda
Oct 07, 2009 Manda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess everywhere has their really quirky places...but my gosh Pennsylvania...I have been here all my life and so far I have a lot to explore :) I am excited!
Hollis
May 09, 2013 Hollis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not a guidebook, as almost everything is just a short paragraph about a "weird" thing or something that used to be cool, but is long gone.
Rebekah
Feb 04, 2016 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: set-in-pa
the spooky, strange, unknown, and just plain weird that makes up the state where I live. This is a fun read for any Pennsylvanian.
Caitlin
Weird Pennsylvania: Your Travel Guide to Pennsylvania's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets by Matt Lake (2009)
Rick
Jul 18, 2007 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, weirdness
The weird of Pa. Great local stories, myths, ghosts, etc. Plus, I wrote an entry.
Lesley
Jun 18, 2007 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oddities
random legends and secrets about my home state. I love it.

Stacey
Feb 28, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cool read, lots of neat things happening in Bucks county!
Sheena
Feb 28, 2008 Sheena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where are the Western PA's myths, legends and lore?
Ginger
Jan 16, 2013 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool!!very fun, interesting...onto Weird USA
  • Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird New York
  • Weird Ohio
  • Weird Michigan
  • Weird Illinois
  • Weird Carolinas
  • Weird Kentucky: Your Travel Guide to Kentucky's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Virginia
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • Weird New England
  • Weird Washington: Your Travel Guide to Washington's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by Aliens
  • The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others
  • Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
  • High Tide at Gettysburg
  • Through Blood and Fire at Gettysburg: General Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine

Weird Travel Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Weird U.S.: A Freaky Field Trip Through the 50 States
  • Weird Arizona: Your Travel Guide to Arizona's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird California
  • Weird Carolinas
  • Weird Colorado: Your Travel Guide to Colorado's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Florida: Your Travel Guide to Florida's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Weird Georgia
  • Weird Hollywood: Your Travel Guide to Hollywood's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets