Start by marking “The Diamonds” as Want to Read:
The Diamonds

The Diamonds

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  32 reviews
At Long Islands’s private Bennington School, the Diamonds rule supreme. They’re the girls all the boys want to date and all the girls want to be. And fortunately for Marni, she’s right in the middle of them. Best friends with the ringleader, Clarissa, Marni enjoys all the spoils of the ultrapopular: boys, power, and respect. But then Marni gets a little too close to Claris ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamonds

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterBlood Promise by Richelle MeadCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 1)
83rd out of 152 books — 467 voters
The Clique by Lisi HarrisonPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Lying Game by Sara ShepardThe Ashleys by Melissa de la CruzDon't You Forget About Me by Cecily von Ziegesar
Cliques & Mean Girls
65th out of 176 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
Reviewing for SLJ... Mean Girls meets Gossip Girl meets Clueless, only doesn't measure up to any of those three!
Alea
The Diamonds has a very clever premise. Beyond the always amusing friends turned enemies premise is the whole world of the court system and mock trial. I've definitely never read a book that involved the United States Constitution in such a way (or probably any way really)! I loved it! There are pieces of evidence (drawings, articles, rule lists) scattered throughout the book. It's really crazy to see the mock trial team turn into a huge after school event and basically take on a life of it's ow ...more
Christine
Not going to lie - wasn't expecting much from this book but it's actually a very intelligent, approachable take on the Constitution and government. I know, doesn't look like it, right? Fun + smart = winning combination.
Emma Cat
In Diamonds i really liked all the characters. It was very funny. I really liked it and would recommend it to people looking for a fun read.
Stephanie
I honestly expected a lot from The Diamonds because it looked pretty interesting. So imagine my disappointment when I found the plot extremely cliche, the characters pretty shallow and the overall average outlook of this novel.

The plot was the average friends turned enemies kind of book. Very middle-school like. However, I did enjoy the politics of the whole book - the mock trial with the jury and the judges and the attempt on bringing about justice in school. The fact is though that Clarissa an
Shalonda
We all know about the queen bees of high school; however Ted Michael has created a unique story that is about more than just social hierarchies.

The best aspect of this book is the incorporation of law and the US Constitution in the dramatic events that unfold in The Diamonds. Broken into two parts, this book outlines the first 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) and the ten Diamond rules. Each is presented with multiple exhibits which consist of drawings, newspaper articles, and other information pe
Yan
The Diamonds was actually a huge surprise for me. My expectations were not that high and my worry lines were there when I received it in the mail for review (which I had no idea was coming). The summary does not draw me in and seems a bit cliché and so done by so many series (which I have not read any—do not bother to ask why). And yet despite the foreboding I have grown myself attached to Marni and her “motley crew”. I need to stop judging books from the summary and cover alone...

The Diamonds r
Kelsey
The Diamonds was a fun, quick read. It really showed the dangers of popularity- one wrong and you're out. At first I wasn't sure it was going to be a great book, because I hated how Marni and "The Diamonds" got everything they wanted and got away with everything. When Marni got outed from the group she started to realize that being a Diamond wasn't the best thing afterall. She liked talking to people she normally wouldn't. Marni was a likable main character and her narration was personal and wel ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Marni Valentine is a "Diamond." The Diamonds are the four girls who basically run Bennington School. The name developed when someone made a comment about their matching diamond necklaces when they were freshman.

Marni couldn't believe her luck when Clarissa took her into the fold. Being accepted by Clarissa brought instant popularity and acceptance. Which helped Marni, as she wasn't nearly as rich, smart, or pretty as the other three girls: Clarissa, Priya,
Shelby
Jan 25, 2010 Shelby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7th-8th grade up
Recommended to Shelby by: found it myself
first of all, if you started reading this book DONT STOP READING IT...if u have read/started reading this book you know that "the diamonds" doesn't really have a hook, and if your like me you stopped reading it, but i started reading it again. I liked this book. Yes it looks cheesey but whatever happened to dont judge a book by its cover? Anyways let me cut to the chase...this book is about cliques basically and the diamonds have their own clique but they own the school. Here's an overview... 4 ...more
Rachael
Every girl and even some boys at the private Bennington School on Long Island wishes to be a Diamond, but unfortunately for these wishers, there are only four Diamonds: ringleaders and model of perfection Clarissa, hilarious boy magnet Priya, übersmart Lili, and Marni. Marni doesn’t really know how she ended up among the ranks of the most powerful and popular girls at her school, but she wouldn’t trade being a Diamond for anything, because popularity makes everything easier. Unfortunately, it al ...more
Ramerra
I enjoyed reading "The Diamonds" because it was a more exaggerated version of real high school life. It has all the scenes and settings of an ideal high school, almost like the ones on t.v. It has the "Popular girls," the drama, gossip, backstabbing, and it was a world where faculty has no say. In the book there were four girls, who were high school seniors, and they brought "mock trial" to life. They used their knowledge of basic constitutional rights and applied them to everyday teenage drama. ...more
Freesiab
YA book that was fun but it was Mean Girls for the generation that might have missed that. It wasn't as funny or as witty but it had it's moments. I think it started off stronger as having underlying satire than it ended with, which was disappointing but it was good quick read.
Erica Alyson
So I started this book a while back and I stop reading it whenever my series books came out and I finally decided to read it today, and finished it in one day. It was a quick read.

It reminds me a lot of the clique. I thought it had room for more and less in parts but considering the author is 1 year older than me and this is his first novel I give him a lot of props.

If you like the clique and gossip girl you might find this interesting the end was kinda a twist.

It's a nice lite read.
Britt
Personally, I really enjoyed this book because I found the storyline very relatable and realistic even though the situation is very unusual and probably wouldn't happen to anyone in reality. I thought the subject was really different and I'd never read a book quite like that and it reminded me quite a bit of the movie Mean Girls, which is like, the most awesome movie ever! I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of things like Mean Girls and The Clique.
Dee
I really hate this book. I would give it 0 stars if I could. It's nasty about girls. It's nasty about gay people. There's nobody to like. All the characters are jerks. I probably shouldn't rate it because I couldn't finish it. But I didn't finish it because it's so terrible. It wants to be Gossip Girl but it fails. Fail, fail, fail. Negative stars.
Devin
Jun 10, 2012 Devin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens or adults who enjoy teen drama
Recommended to Devin by: Book store freebie
Fast and easy to read, The Diamonds centers around the high school dramas of Marni Valentine and her group of friends. The "Diamond Court" rules the school, passing judgment alla "Mean Girls" and trashes lives and reputations in the process. The story is a bit predictable, with far too many pop-culture references, but all in all it was cute.
Debbie Cranberry Fries
From what I gathered on the back of this book I thought it'd be a really fun light read, but the further I got into this book I just felt like it was going downhill.

The writing was good, the book was funny but I didnt like the plot line very much. If Michael were to write another book I'd probably read it, sooner or later.
Stephanie A.
Worst. Administration. Ever. I don't even get how a clique like that would rise to such power and popularity in the first place. I do not recall beauty being a super rare commodity in high school, so when the girls are evil, who looks up to them?!
Carly
This book had lured me in from the start. It's one of those cliched books but something about this was different and unique that I loved this book. Really enjoyable fast read. It is very very predictable but I loved the book. :)
Michelle. D.
The book was fun, entertaining.

I really enjoyed ALL the characters and found them really likable and funny.
Everything that happened seemed to fit perfectly together and the book was just a enjoyable read.
I recommend it.
Anita Jonker
I didn't hate it but it was a bit predictable. Also i found it a bit unrealistic i don't know do you have schools that can be so over run by just 4 girls?
Michelle Zafora
read this book 2 years ago and i still remember most of the details. its a very unique and interesting book. LOVED IT!
Katherine
Having studied constitutional law, I found the legal references both clever and chuckle-worthy. A pleasant surprise.
Gina Estrada
I very much liked this book. :) It reminds me of the movie "Mean Girls", the characters are so like them. <3
Sydney
Apr 28, 2009 Sydney added it
Very funny book with really clever dialogue and quirky characters. Fun read!
Kate
Super quick read. Reminded me of Gossip Girl.
Emma Xoxo
I really liked this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beautiful Americans (Beautiful Americans, #1)
  • The Girls
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Braless in Wonderland
  • Shelter Me
  • The Exile of Gigi Lane
  • Fortune
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies
  • The Comeback
  • Alive and Well in Prague, New York
  • Princess of Gossip
  • Bittersweet Sixteen
  • You've Got Blackmail
  • Destroy All Cars
  • The One (Chloe Gamble, #1)
  • Hancock Park: A Novel
  • Faketastic (Frenemies, #2)
Ted Michael was born in 1984 and grew up in Roslyn Heights, New York. He is a graduate of Columbia University and the Juilliard School and is a Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
More about Ted Michael...
Crash Test Love Starry-Eyed: 16 Stories that Steal the Spotlight So You Wanna Be a Superstar?: The Ultimate Audition Guide Wie man Herzen bricht (German Edition)