Start by marking “The Diamonds” as Want to Read:
The Diamonds

The Diamonds

At Long Islands’s private Bennington School, the Diamonds rule supreme. They’re the girls all the boys want to date and all the girls want to be. And fortunately for Marni, she’s right in the middle of them. Best friends with the ringleader, Clarissa, Marni enjoys all the spoils of the ultrapopular: boys, power, and respect. But then Marni gets a little too close to Claris ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamonds

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterBlood Promise by Richelle MeadCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 1)
90th out of 152 books — 463 voters
Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Clique by Lisi HarrisonThe Lying Game by Sara ShepardThe It Girl by Cecily von ZiegesarLucky by Rachel Vail
Cliques & Mean Girls
49th out of 188 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
Dec 20, 2008 Jill rated it it was ok
Reviewing for SLJ... Mean Girls meets Gossip Girl meets Clueless, only doesn't measure up to any of those three!
Alea
Apr 05, 2009 Alea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
The Diamonds has a very clever premise. Beyond the always amusing friends turned enemies premise is the whole world of the court system and mock trial. I've definitely never read a book that involved the United States Constitution in such a way (or probably any way really)! I loved it! There are pieces of evidence (drawings, articles, rule lists) scattered throughout the book. It's really crazy to see the mock trial team turn into a huge after school event and basically take on a life of it's ow ...more
Christine
Aug 04, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
Not going to lie - wasn't expecting much from this book but it's actually a very intelligent, approachable take on the Constitution and government. I know, doesn't look like it, right? Fun + smart = winning combination.
Emma Cat
Apr 21, 2009 Emma Cat rated it really liked it
In Diamonds i really liked all the characters. It was very funny. I really liked it and would recommend it to people looking for a fun read.
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I honestly expected a lot from The Diamonds because it looked pretty interesting. So imagine my disappointment when I found the plot extremely cliche, the characters pretty shallow and the overall average outlook of this novel.

The plot was the average friends turned enemies kind of book. Very middle-school like. However, I did enjoy the politics of the whole book - the mock trial with the jury and the judges and the attempt on bringing about justice in school. The fact is though that Clarissa an
Shalonda
Dec 24, 2009 Shalonda rated it really liked it
We all know about the queen bees of high school; however Ted Michael has created a unique story that is about more than just social hierarchies.

The best aspect of this book is the incorporation of law and the US Constitution in the dramatic events that unfold in The Diamonds. Broken into two parts, this book outlines the first 10 amendments (Bill of Rights) and the ten Diamond rules. Each is presented with multiple exhibits which consist of drawings, newspaper articles, and other information pe
Yan
Apr 11, 2009 Yan rated it liked it
The Diamonds was actually a huge surprise for me. My expectations were not that high and my worry lines were there when I received it in the mail for review (which I had no idea was coming). The summary does not draw me in and seems a bit cliché and so done by so many series (which I have not read any—do not bother to ask why). And yet despite the foreboding I have grown myself attached to Marni and her “motley crew”. I need to stop judging books from the summary and cover alone...

The Diamonds r
Kelsey
Mar 14, 2010 Kelsey rated it really liked it
The Diamonds was a fun, quick read. It really showed the dangers of popularity- one wrong and you're out. At first I wasn't sure it was going to be a great book, because I hated how Marni and "The Diamonds" got everything they wanted and got away with everything. When Marni got outed from the group she started to realize that being a Diamond wasn't the best thing afterall. She liked talking to people she normally wouldn't. Marni was a likable main character and her narration was personal and wel ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Marni Valentine is a "Diamond." The Diamonds are the four girls who basically run Bennington School. The name developed when someone made a comment about their matching diamond necklaces when they were freshman.

Marni couldn't believe her luck when Clarissa took her into the fold. Being accepted by Clarissa brought instant popularity and acceptance. Which helped Marni, as she wasn't nearly as rich, smart, or pretty as the other three girls: Clarissa, Priya,
Rachael
Jul 23, 2009 Rachael rated it really liked it
Every girl and even some boys at the private Bennington School on Long Island wishes to be a Diamond, but unfortunately for these wishers, there are only four Diamonds: ringleaders and model of perfection Clarissa, hilarious boy magnet Priya, übersmart Lili, and Marni. Marni doesn’t really know how she ended up among the ranks of the most powerful and popular girls at her school, but she wouldn’t trade being a Diamond for anything, because popularity makes everything easier. Unfortunately, it al ...more
Ramerra
Nov 11, 2013 Ramerra rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading "The Diamonds" because it was a more exaggerated version of real high school life. It has all the scenes and settings of an ideal high school, almost like the ones on t.v. It has the "Popular girls," the drama, gossip, backstabbing, and it was a world where faculty has no say. In the book there were four girls, who were high school seniors, and they brought "mock trial" to life. They used their knowledge of basic constitutional rights and applied them to everyday teenage drama. ...more
Tia Michelle
May 26, 2015 Tia Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book was very nice, but I have two emotions after finishing it. The first emotion is relief. I am relieved that that nightmare of a misunderstanding is over! The second emotion I have is exasperation. Exasperation because Marni had the chance to rejoin her friend group, but she turned them down. I don't understand why anyone would not want everything to go back to normal after a really bad time. The thing that confused me about this book was why the MEAN girls controlled the school. It was ...more
Freesiab
Oct 07, 2014 Freesiab rated it liked it
YA book that was fun but it was Mean Girls for the generation that might have missed that. It wasn't as funny or as witty but it had it's moments. I think it started off stronger as having underlying satire than it ended with, which was disappointing but it was good quick read.
Erica Alyson
Jan 11, 2010 Erica Alyson rated it liked it
So I started this book a while back and I stop reading it whenever my series books came out and I finally decided to read it today, and finished it in one day. It was a quick read.

It reminds me a lot of the clique. I thought it had room for more and less in parts but considering the author is 1 year older than me and this is his first novel I give him a lot of props.

If you like the clique and gossip girl you might find this interesting the end was kinda a twist.

It's a nice lite read.
Britt
May 29, 2013 Britt rated it really liked it
Personally, I really enjoyed this book because I found the storyline very relatable and realistic even though the situation is very unusual and probably wouldn't happen to anyone in reality. I thought the subject was really different and I'd never read a book quite like that and it reminded me quite a bit of the movie Mean Girls, which is like, the most awesome movie ever! I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of things like Mean Girls and The Clique.
Dee
Mar 30, 2009 Dee rated it did not like it
I really hate this book. I would give it 0 stars if I could. It's nasty about girls. It's nasty about gay people. There's nobody to like. All the characters are jerks. I probably shouldn't rate it because I couldn't finish it. But I didn't finish it because it's so terrible. It wants to be Gossip Girl but it fails. Fail, fail, fail. Negative stars.
Devin
Jun 10, 2012 Devin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teens or adults who enjoy teen drama
Recommended to Devin by: Book store freebie
Fast and easy to read, The Diamonds centers around the high school dramas of Marni Valentine and her group of friends. The "Diamond Court" rules the school, passing judgment alla "Mean Girls" and trashes lives and reputations in the process. The story is a bit predictable, with far too many pop-culture references, but all in all it was cute.
Debbie Cranberry Fries
From what I gathered on the back of this book I thought it'd be a really fun light read, but the further I got into this book I just felt like it was going downhill.

The writing was good, the book was funny but I didnt like the plot line very much. If Michael were to write another book I'd probably read it, sooner or later.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
Worst. Administration. Ever. I don't even get how a clique like that would rise to such power and popularity in the first place. I do not recall beauty being a super rare commodity in high school, so when the girls are evil, who looks up to them?!
Carly
Aug 29, 2010 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly, life-uplifting
This book had lured me in from the start. It's one of those cliched books but something about this was different and unique that I loved this book. Really enjoyable fast read. It is very very predictable but I loved the book. :)
Michelle. D.
Jan 12, 2012 Michelle. D. rated it really liked it
The book was fun, entertaining.

I really enjoyed ALL the characters and found them really likable and funny.
Everything that happened seemed to fit perfectly together and the book was just a enjoyable read.
I recommend it.
Snow
Apr 11, 2012 Snow rated it it was ok
I didn't hate it but it was a bit predictable. Also i found it a bit unrealistic i don't know do you have schools that can be so over run by just 4 girls?
Michelle Zafora
Jul 22, 2011 Michelle Zafora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
read this book 2 years ago and i still remember most of the details. its a very unique and interesting book. LOVED IT!
Katherine
Jul 21, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Having studied constitutional law, I found the legal references both clever and chuckle-worthy. A pleasant surprise.
Gina Estrada
Aug 18, 2012 Gina Estrada rated it really liked it
I very much liked this book. :) It reminds me of the movie "Mean Girls", the characters are so like them. <3
Ashley Hackenmiller
Review here: http://booksaremylove.blogspot.com/20...

Love comments <3
Sydney
Apr 28, 2009 Sydney added it
Very funny book with really clever dialogue and quirky characters. Fun read!
Kate
Aug 02, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Super quick read. Reminded me of Gossip Girl.
Emma Xoxo
Dec 09, 2013 Emma Xoxo rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.
Lovingbooks
just okay.
  • Beautiful Americans (Beautiful Americans, #1)
  • Braless in Wonderland
  • Fairest of Them All
  • GoldenGirl (Bradford, #1)
  • Hancock Park: A Novel
  • The Exile of Gigi Lane
  • The Pillow Book of Lotus Lowenstein
  • Indigo Blues
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • Pretty on the Outside (Young, Loaded & Fabulous, #1)
Ted Michael was born in 1984 and grew up in Roslyn Heights, New York. He is a graduate of Columbia University and the Juilliard School and is a Presidential Scholar in the Arts.
More about Ted Michael...