Start by marking “Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)

Dirty Martini (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,340 Ratings  ·  375 Reviews
The latest "entertaining," "tangy," and "hilarious" Jack Daniels mystery from Anthony, Macavity, and Gumshoe Award finalist J.A. KonrathIn Whiskey Sour, Chicago police Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels hunted down a killer dubbed "The Gingerbread Man." In Bloody Mary, she busted a psychopath with a penchant for dismemberment. In Rusty Nail, it was a serial killer with a ...more
Published July 3rd 2007 by Hyperion (first published June 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Martini, please sign up.

WendyB I would suggest reading the Jack Daniels series in order if at all possible. Each book builds a bit on the previous one, and you'll understand the…moreI would suggest reading the Jack Daniels series in order if at all possible. Each book builds a bit on the previous one, and you'll understand the characters and their interactions better if you do.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
What I'm having here is another one of those "here we go again" moments. I've read all these books (up to this one I mean) and like them...in a way. Still I can't bring myself to rate any of them higher than 3 (I'd really say almost 3.5 but of course we don't have half star system). Why?

There are things in each book that either annoy, bother or frustrate me. Sometimes I'm so frustrated I think I may need to double up on my blood pressure medication.

First, while I like the character of Jack, and
Luffy
Jun 18, 2015 Luffy rated it really liked it

A paint-by-numbers yarn can be a literary book, or an escapist one. A run of the mill book can supersede its unambitious strain by alternating verisimilitude and the unlikely. This duet of prerequisites was fulfilled to my approval. Things happen in this series. Even if some of the changes snapped back to square one, the good was done, because the real bummer is staying motionless. There are changes and consequences. The pacing of this story is achieved through the sheer single minded aim of th
Toni Osborne
Apr 30, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it
Book 4, in the “Jack” Daniels Mystery series

I am fast becoming a huge fan of this series. As in the previous novels, the story unfolds at a good clip, kept me on the edge of my seat with nail biting action, subtle suspense and a page turning thrill ride till the very last page. If you haven’t read the previous installments no need to worry, you will not get lost in the back story the little there is is well balanced to put everyone at easy and be comfortable with the characters and their interac
Monnie
Dec 31, 2011 Monnie rated it it was amazing
Another of the "can't put it down" Konrath books, although I'll continue to say it's hard to believe the characters are able to withstand so much physical abuse (especially at their ages) and plod on almost as usual. But these books do keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end - I think I have yet to take more than two days to finish one on my Kindle (after Christmas, my Kindle Fire), and I don't have all that much time to spend reading. And almost as an aside, like Janet Evanovich in ...more
Jerry
Jul 18, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it
We’ve now read the first five of these Chicago police Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels tales, with “Dirty” being the fourth in what is currently a 10-book set. Our heroine, and the tenor of these police procedurals, reminds one of Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum escapades, except that Daniels is more competent and the plots are more significant and dangerous. But humor and suspense combine to divert and entertain when we need a break from our heavier “thrillers”.

In this story, a determined and cl
Laurie
Jun 06, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Dirty Martini, book 4 in the Jack Daniels series, was my favorite. After a bit of a disappointment with Rusty Nail, Konrath is back in great form with this story. Chicago is being terrorized by the Chemist, a criminal using poisons to kill at random. When the task force is assembled, Jack finds herself in the lead- with one small drawback. Her partner Herb has requested and received a transfer out of homicide. Working on her own, Jack must find the Chemist before the casualties reach catastrophi ...more
Ami
Quillracer
Aug 15, 2013 Quillracer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Again, Konrath opens the book with an introduction that kind of gives you a warning about what's ahead. In this case, it didn't distract me from the main story line as the one in Rusty Nail did.

This book has four premises relating to the antagonist I always have a hard time buying into:
1/ He has the money and other resources to obtain everything needed for his twisted plan.
2/ He is so thorough in his planning he has every possible contingency covered.
3/ He never makes a mistake.
4/ He constantly
Chris Lowry
Jun 23, 2016 Chris Lowry rated it it was amazing

I did something really neat today. I got an email from BOOKSCREAM and clicked on the link inside to download a copy of JA Konrath's book, DIRTY MARTINI. He was doing a free promo to find new readers, and although I have read several of his books, this one was not one of the 71 or so he has published on Amazon.
I sent it to my tablet, and grabbed a couple of other free books from folks I didn't know to try out later. I am always on the hunt for new authors that I like, especially if they have a se
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Another fun read from Konrath. Jack just keeps getting tougher all the time & has the competition to match. This case was interesting & scary. It could happen all too easily. I look forward to the next!
David
Nov 08, 2010 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Okay, am I tired of Kornath's detective running into criminal masterminds? Yes. Was this one a bit different than the first three? Yes.. just enough to keep me tuned in to the further adventures of Lt. Jaqueline (Jack) Daniels and her gang of offbeat characters. In this segment, Jack is after a guy who calls himself the chemist and is poisoning food, etc. with botulism and setting traps for the police that include chemical warfare and even bombs. We finally find a villain with a reason to kill o ...more
Christy
Jan 31, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Homicide Lieutenant Jack Daniels has plenty on her mind. Her boyfriend just proposed; her partner’s been transferred, at his request, to Robbery; and she finds a letter from her mother telling her that her dad isn’t dead after all. To make matters worse, a psychopath who calls himself the Chemist is going around Chicago poisoning food supplies and people are dropping like flies. Jack’s tagged to lead the task force and ultimately becomes targeted by the Chemist. She manages to survive several at ...more
Dee
Jan 18, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it
Grade: A
Summary from the Book:
Homicide Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels is in some serious trouble. Her boyfriend wants to get married. Her partner wants to transfer to another department. Her dead father may not be dead after all. And a brilliant sociopath known as the Chemist is poisoning Chicago’s food supply, killing hundreds of people.

Plus: Jack Daniels is one of the hardest, most admirable heroines in crime fiction today, and I find myself attached to her fast-paced, manic action-fill
Nick Kelly
Jul 25, 2013 Nick Kelly rated it it was amazing
Author J.A. Konrath knows exactly what he’s doing.

With three great rounds under his belt already, Konrath steps up to the tee box the way Tiger Woods does on a Sunday, and hits the longest, straightest drive anyone could expect. Dirty Martini is the fourth installment in the Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels detective series. The Chicago Homicide Detective has previously gone toe-to-toe with serial killers, psychopaths and revenge artists. This time around, she’s matching wits with a serial poisoner ca
Tracy
This is by far my favorite of the series. I was totally enamored with this Dirty Martini. Jack and Harry were so awesome and the story had just enough excitement to have me sitting on the edge of my seat. I did not want to put it down and when I had to I thought about what was happening while I wasn't reading.

I am off now to start Fuzzy Navel. Konrath says the is the best one he has written so hopefully it will surpass Dirty Martini although I find that hard to believe. There have been many not
Barbara Z.
Jun 12, 2011 Barbara Z. rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read a Joe Konrath book that I don't love. The Jack Daniels series, of which this is the 4th, MUST be read in order, but are so fun and easy to read that I'm having a wonderful time devouring them on my Kindle. I think Lt. Jaqueline "Jack" Daniels is my second favorite series, after Repairman Jack (something in a name?) by F. Paul Wilson. And a Wilson/Konrath collaboration introduced me to Konrath in the first place!

If you enjoy wild and wacky crime fiction, Carl Hiaasen, Robert Cr
LLona Cunningham
Have to quit without finishing. The story is good, and I am a fan of protagonist Jack Daniels. But the book's formatting (fancy characters at the top of each chapter) conflicting with Kindle's text-to-speech has worn me out. I need to move forward to one that works.
Mylene
May 11, 2013 Mylene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Konrath/Kilborn fans and anyone who is looking for a new horror/thriller writer to try.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
Another Hit!!!! When I first started reading the 4th book in the Jack Daniels series, I thought I was going to be disappointed with the villain. How wrong was I? Konrath has created another page-turning thrill ride. All your favorite characters have returned in this novel to help Jack save the day. The only negatives for me were that I still don't buy into Latham Conger as the man for Jack, and I found the capture of the villain to be a little lacking after such an adventure throughout the book. ...more
Lisa
Dec 02, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read in this series so I came in with no preconceptions about Jack Daniels or her sidekicks. And up until about the halfway mark I was prepared to give the book 4-5 stars. The mystery of The Chemist was engaging and disturbing enough that I found myself giving my own prepackaged food a second glance. Any story that can elicit such a response from me even after I've put the book down must be doing something right. However after the midway point the story just got so ov ...more
Gloria Bernal
Jan 18, 2015 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it
Book 4 in the series. Thoroughly enjoyable and not as gory as the previous novels. No mutilation or dismembered victims. No blood and guts, just vomit and convulsions. The killings are fast, chemically induced, so the victims don't suffer quite as long as in the prequels to this. I do recommend starting with Whiskey Sour if you want to read the series, which is a good balance of crime, wit and action.

Lt. Jack Daniels (Jacqueline), homicide for Chicago PD is in true form, following the case of Th
Josh Smith
Feb 13, 2016 Josh Smith rated it really liked it
Okay. Just....okay. So a detective finds a bomb, helps her partner who can't properly drive a stick drive the truck to a safe place to explode, right before the explosion...like literally 10 seconds before the thing explodes a helicopter flies down from the sky and they catch a ladder.....

Somehow they get a safe distance away from this bomb and her ankle is torn up and not to mention the fact that this helicopter ride managed to happen in the span of 3 minutes. Then with her terrible ankle and t
Jared
Aug 21, 2009 Jared rated it really liked it
I've never read Konrath before, and picked this one up at the store on a whim even though it isn't the first in the series. I'm glad I did; I had no trouble getting to know and like the characters, and there was no feeling of having jumped in at the middle.

The mystery was solid, and having adopted Chicago as my town more than 20 years ago, I always enjoy Chicago settings when they're done well (Konrath does it well). I'm looking forward to starting the series at the beginning.
Maria
Mar 05, 2014 Maria added it
Shelves: mystery
Although the death and destruction element remains almost more than I can take, I actually found some of this book funny, unlike the previous three. Perhaps Konrath is finding his stride. The emphasis on Jack's clothing doesn't appeal. I could care less about who designed and made her clothes, and I find it distracting to have it mentioned. Clothes are clothes. Shoes are shoes. On Jack they usually get destroyed anyway. The addition of Jack's father as a character was interesting. Rick, less so. ...more
Debbie J
Dirty Martini is a thrill ride and horror show, starring an intensely vicious antagonist who's an equal opportunity killer.

Right off the bat Detective Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels and her partner Herb deal with a horrific crime scene which has led to multiple officer fatalities and her own critical injuries. Herb decides he doesn’t want to continue watching Jack almost die and opts for reassignment to a presumably safer division. Funny how though, in a big city like Chicago, he and Jack keep crossi
Michele Mai
Jul 11, 2014 Michele Mai rated it it was amazing
Once again, a great JD book from Konrath. As always, my biggest beef is how much time Konrath spends on describing everyone's attire. I know that's petty and it doesn't take away from enjoying the stories. Jack has some seriously good luck and I psoitively love Harry McGlade's character. Can't wait to start reading Fuzzy Navel #5 in the series.
Marie
Jan 18, 2014 Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I'd finished working out. And it's damn hard to motivate myself considering I'm in my forties but being a Chicago PD means I need to stay on top of my game - especially with male colleagues that would rather bed me than arrest some crazed punk threatening lives in the Windy City.

I was wired after the work out but my shift didn't start for another 4 hours. Should I read a book or watch QVC and get my shopping fix for the morning? Luckily I picked up Dirty Martini so it would be easy to do both.
Kevin C
Sep 08, 2015 Kevin C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite of the Jack Daniels mysteries so far.
Without giving away any plots, the first three novels got progressively more violent and gruesome. I'm not the type that easily gets put off by a bit of violence in the books I read, but by the third one it was getting to be too much. I had decided that I wasn't really interested in reading any more of the series.
Luckily I ran across some reviews for Dirty Martini, and several of them commented about the lack of blood etc. I was intrig
Jacqueline King
Amazing. Love a writer who can come up with new, exciting ways to kill people. Not as gory as the previous three, but still action-packed and hilarious as ever. But seriously, how does Jack find every fire hydrant in Chicago to park in front of?
Jaime
Jun 07, 2016 Jaime rated it really liked it
This was a scary scenario! Someone is going around the city of Chicago and randomly poisoning people. That potato salad you bought from the deli? It could kill you. Ordering breakfast at your local diner? He might get you there too! Is there going to be poison in the air? The water? Where can you go? What can you EAT?

Luckily, Jack is there to answer these questions and save the day, but not without loss.

I enjoy the tone of this series. Konrath has a knack for dreaming up things that are just a l
Sunshine✰✰✰
I love this series! It has it's creep factor on point but I literally Laughed Out Loud at one point (horse whisperer), and I almost clapped my hands at the end. All I can say is: Poor Latham, Yay Jack!, and Damn-it McGlade!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Dirty Martini 1 2 Sep 30, 2013 08:55PM
  • Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite #2)
  • Truck Stop
  • Timecaster
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Hush
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • Livin' Lahaina Loca (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #2)
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer, #2)
  • Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (10 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #10)

“Personally, I wouldn’t mind Alzheimer’s. You buy one magazine, and you’re entertained for the rest of your life.” 0 likes