Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,608,942 Ratings  ·  25,215 Reviews
The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Ho
Published September 2000 by Scholastic (first published July 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, please sign up.

Mariya Joseph He doesn't pick it up or anything he sort of some how flips the books and parchment to look at it or turns it without touching it
Λίζα
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Help by Kathryn StockettCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Smart Summer Reads
51st out of 2,106 books — 3,229 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
YA Books You've Read
8th out of 194 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Sasha Alsberg
Oct 23, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JK Rowling really knows how to write a great book, thats for sure! Although this wasn't my favorite book in the series, it definitely wasn't because it was bad. I loved the plot and conflict, even though it wasn't as intense as the others were. I was definitely shocked at the end...so epic and mind blowing!
Khanh (the Grinch)
I love this book, of course I do, but the fact remains that this book prominently featured two of my most hated Harry Potter characters. Ginny Weasley and Dobby. There, I said it. I hate them both. In my Harry Potter hate list, Ginny and Dobby probably rank somewhere below Umbridge and Peter Pettigrew. Yeah, you heard me. I hate them that much.

The reason I hate Ginny is---well, never mind. I don't want to start another shipping war here, the last one was terrible enough, so let the reason for my
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 30, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
Re-Read in December 2015 for Harry Christmas to You

This time around I realized how much more entertaining this book is compared to the movie. Nothing against the movie because I LOVE it, but this book has so many more fun scenes! Like Arthur and Lucius PHYSICALLY FIGHTING EACH OTHER and Dobby tossing Lucius down a flight of stairs at the end. Reading this aloud with Kyle literally had us laughing like crazy. I love this series so much oh my Rowling.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to
Lora
Aug 13, 2011 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Before I say anything else, it's important you know that I LOVE HARRY POTTER. In my fingers and my toes. LOVE.

That being said, this is my least favorite of the early books (I'll let you know whether it's my least favorite overall after I reread HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX).

The reasons are LEGION:

1. Gilderoy Lockhart is a prat, and I hate him.
2. Deathday party. It's creepy and gross.
3. Poor Ginny.
4. The trouble Harry and Ron get Mr. Weasley into stresses me out.
5. I don't like snake
Wil Wheaton
Jul 05, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched the
Zoë
Mar 01, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 21/100 of 2015

(REREAD)

Okay DUH 5/5 stars. I actually liked this book more than I remembered! This used to be my least favorite of the Harry Potter books and while that still might be true, I was more entertained than I was expecting! I always forget how different book Ginny is from movie Ginny (wayyy better and more interesting) and how she has such a bigger role in the books than the films.

NOW ONTO HP AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN!
Evgeny
Jan 14, 2016 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In memory of Alan Rickman who showed us what Severus Snape looks like on the Big Screen.
Severus Snape
I made myself a promise not to use any stills from any Harry Potter movies in my reviews for any book of the series, but I have to make an exception today January 14, 2016 thus the image above.

Even people who somehow managed to avoid reading the books and seeing the movies can guess that this book is about Harry Potter's second year the School of Wizardry, Hogwarts. Before he gets there though he had to fight
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 17, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Everyone

After the last book I read, I thought I deserved a treat and decided to read the second HP book and true to everyone’s claim, I enjoyed and savored every single page on which everything written magically fits one another, exactly like the 10 year old me dreamed of. The experience was ten times better when I used Professor Mc Gonagall’s voice to read the entire thing. Lol!

Just a few of the abundant awesome moments/stuff:

1. The heroic, flying car, duh!
2. Mrs. Weasly’s feistiness and Mr. Weasly’
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, harry-potter
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "c
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 27, 2015 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
هل كنت لتصدق منذ عقدين أن الجرائد قد تقرأها علي جهاز لوحي خفيف بلا أسلاك، تنقل لك الخبر بالصوت وفيديو وقت حدوثه اينما كنت وتقلب صفحاتها علي الجهاز كأنها جريدة بجد

Knight Ridder علي فكرة الموضوع بدأ 1994 ,قبل أبل بسنوات لشركة أسمها
لماذا أذن أعتبر البعض أن ما يحدث في رواية هاري بوتر 1997 من جرائد ذات صور متحركة سحر محرم؟

بل وحرقوا كتب الرواية في ساحات حرق الكتب لانها حرام؟
طب انت عارف أن من وقت للتاني يظهر أشخاص نادرة بأي مكان بالعالم وعلي مر الزمن ولدوا بقدرات غريبة،ممكن تكون موهبة عقلية فذة ، أو م
Robin (Bridge Four)
Harry Potter reread...HARRY POTTER REREAD....already 2016 is looking awesome.

Reading with a few other Potter heads at Buddies Books and Baubles. Let the magic commence.

Me: Harry Potter Reread! YAY *squee*

Hubs: Seriously, you are rereading them. Haven't you read them already and watched all the movies.

Me: Yes....but I like to reread them every few years. They are magical like that and I want to jump back into that whole world again.

Hubs: *Blank Stare* but you already know what happens.

Me: That d
Delee

I have been so far behind in my reading and reviews...dealing with...life. I spent the whole month (so far) of August trying to play catch up. And now that I have sort of done that- I left this one review till the end...because even though the last thing that my lovely Stepheny aka Ms. Thaaaaaaaaaaang would want for me is to feel pressure- I do...OH, I really do. I feel the pressure to put out the best review that I can possibly think of right now...just for her- for her favorite series. The ser
May
Mar 31, 2016 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
Me ha gustado, pero menos que el primero.
Espero engancharme como vosotrxs a la saga en el tercero... ¡a ver si hay suerte!

PD: Estoy intentando leerlos todos antes de navidad y hacer un vídeo jejeje
Inge
The Harry Potter series is like one giant puzzle, and during every book, tiny puzzle pieces start fitting together and forming a whole. There are hints everywhere about what's going to happen, sort of like inside jokes for people who've already read the books, but the mystery remains. J.K. Rowling keeps you guessing up until the final pages.

I love how every character brings something else to the table. Ron's dry comments, Fred and George's pranks, Hermione's cleverness, Dumbledore's charming str
Elisa
A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book,
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Dec 19, 2015 Yasmin (Book Unicorn) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Rating: 5/5 stars

Click here to read my review of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.

Ron breaks his wand,

now Ginny's gone,

description

and Harry's in mortal danger.

description

Tom Riddle hides his snake inside

description

his ginormous secret chamber.

description

(From Harry Potter in 99 seconds, which BTW is super awesome!)

I think this goes for a lot of people, but the Chamber of Secrets is my least favorite Harry Potter book (or rather I like the other ones more). But I still enjoyed the hell out of it, and it still deserves 5 stars.

Things t
Stepheny

About a year ago I threw a tantrum begged Delee to read Harry Potter with me. She had never read it and I just simply can’t accept that. Because let’s face it:

Well, she inevitably, jumped on the bandwagon with the rest of the world. I was so thrilled that she not only finally read it but that she loved it. It took her a whole year to get around to the next book, but she did and that’s all that matters. She’s already given this one 5 stars! AND we’ve scheduled our reading of Prisoner of Azkaba
Juliana Zapata
Mar 08, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Estos libros son tan hermosos que llenan de amor el corazón! Como ya dije del libro anterior están llenos de magia y de ternura. Con cada libro amas a los personajes, estoy terriblemente encariñada con Harry y amo a Hermione por encima de todo.

Espero poner leer pronto el siguiente libro

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Namratha
In a bid to recapture the Harry Potteresque brand of nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. And loving every bit of it.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first book, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our personal favourites and pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the scenery and the ambience. So now it’s just a question of belting-up and getting ready for more nail-biting action.
And Harry Po
Nanna
Nov 21, 2015 Nanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh! I cry and laugh so much. Ron you cutie!

every time I finish one of these books it makes me so angry! why can't I live at Hogwarts? ;_____;
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Councillor
How do you review a beloved book which nearly everyone in this world seems to adore and which you wanted to love as well, but ended up being slightly disappointed with? "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is the second book out of the HP series and follows Harry, Ron and Hermione through their adventures during their second year in Hogwarts. After reading (and enjoying) the first book some days ago (and just about ten years too late), my expectations for this second book were probably too ...more
Vane J.
I am one of those people who grew up with the Harry Potter movies rather than with the books (I'm not ashamed to admit, either, that I loved the movies and still do, despite them missing some of the awesomeness), and I was one of those who refused to read the books because I didn't want to be part of the hype and it actually made me sick. Gratefully, 4 years ago I decided to give in. The big surprise was that I ended up loving the series, the story but most of all, its characters.

That said, I mu
P.Z.
Feb 25, 2016 P.Z. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the other twin of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. This book is not so far from the first one. Harry Potter comes back to his family, if I can call them. For this summer, Dobby prohibits Harry not to go to Hogwart. Something will happen and it means death for Harry and everyone.

J.K. Rowling never lets us down with her second installment of Harry Potter. The book itself flows smoothly without dropping. Harry, Ron and Hermione are the lead
♛Tash
Dec 16, 2015 ♛Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 2015

I'm not 13 anymore but 4 still-as-awesome-as-the-first-time stars

*snorts* ^^minus the nose of course.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
As Dumbledore once said, "it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

My ability to write a proper review for this book does not exist, so I choose to leave it at five stars and two Dobby snaps in a circle ; )

sweet jane
Apr 21, 2016 sweet jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το ίδιο όμορφο και γλυκό με την Φιλοσοφική Λίθο. Δεν βλέπω την ώρα για να διαβάσω τον Αιχμάλωτο!!!
Mikee Andrea Quiambao
This book was slightly more different from the movie as opposed to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and its film adaptation but I still loved reading about the infamous Chamber of Secrets nonetheless.

I loved the concept of the Tom Riddle and the diary! I was, and still am, so amazed by the magic in this world. After reading the second book, I sort of developed a kind of fondness or some unusual respect for Voldemort as a character. Of course, everything he has done was unforgivable but I ca
Swaps55
While the story fits neatly together and again, her imagination is fantastic, the flat characters that play to extreme stereotypes take a lot of the enjoymeny out of this story.

There is no excuse for Gilderoy Lockhart. Granted, his fame obsession and ludicrous self-absorption make for some amusing Rowling-esque moments that make the series good (such as a dozen Lockharts running for cover in the photo frames with rollers in their hair), but at the expense of the reader's patience. This degree o
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, # 4)
  • Superior Saturday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #6)
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)
  • The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)
  • Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4)
  • The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12)
  • Poison
  • Mio, My Son
  • Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Underland Chronicles, #2)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)