Devil's Valley

Devil's Valley

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  13 reviews
When Flip Lochner, a seedy, tired journalist fleeing a failed marriage, sees a beautiful woman with four breasts in Devil's Valley, he thinks it's a mirage. But then a man called Lukas Death stands before him. So begins Lochner's search for "the truth" first hinted at by a young student in Cape Town who was mysteriously killed. Lochner meets Lukas Death's clan, where right...more
Published April 20th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1998)

Tiah
This book is bonkers, and unlike his others I have read thus far. I enjoyed the theatrics and the outlandish "quotable" lines.
RK-ique
Not as good as I expected. In order to set main character up as jaded and cynical, author uses a great deal of vulgarity and crudeness. Not really necessary and clashes with later role of character. As story is told in 1st person, vulgarity of character is not in line with any change he may have undergone through unfolding of events.

Also, all of the characters came across as unbelievable to me. They were not well developed, even the love interest of the main character. As she was important to t...more
Margitte
Die boek was nie 'n verrassing nie, want dit is 'n tipiese André P. Brink roman: daag die leser uit met eie voorkeure en afkeure, en versin 'n verhaal wat 'n mens laat steier - van bewondering, van stoute lagbuie of onverbloemde woede oor die 'misbruik' van volkseie mites en mores. Die verrassing lê egter daarin dat die skrywer so 'n biejtjie afgewyk het van sy veldtog teen Apartheid en nou speels, en ernstig aandag gee aan ander gebruike en stories in die Afrikanergeledere. Net 'n opregte Afrik...more
Jessie
This is my third novel by the South African writer Andre Brink, and I am taken by the pains he takes to include women's stories, even acknowledges that there is such a thing. Brink follows a failed historian-cum-journalist as he tracks down the mysterious and reclusive clan of Devil's Valley, after witnessing the death of a rare breakaway member. He struggles to memorialize the clan's history. I usually despise magical realism but the fantastical elements of the tale are woven well into the stor...more
Eleen
This is my favourite book of all times... I've read it about 20 times, I think it might be because it feels a bit like visiting my granny's house again, comfortable, old school and smells like cookies... I've read most of his books subsequently, always searching for the same magical high that I found in this one, but I've never been able to find it again anywhere else...
Kerry
A long, tiring read that keeps you hoping for more, but ultimately ends disappointingly without climax, chocked full of cliche. If I hadn't been reading it for a book club, I'd have put it down less than a 1/4 of the way through. I had to force myself to keep coming back. Very disappointing.
Scott Fairbanks
This was a great book. It is a mythology of sorts. Your never sure which bits are concretely anchored and which are hallucination. It is like a portrait of the Boers who settled South Africa done by the Mad magazine artist. I almost swallowed this book whole. Could not stop reading it.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Brink Fans
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I am the biggest Brink Fan on the planet. He is my favourite author so I am biased with all of his work. Don't expect a balanced review from me. As with all Brinks work the backdrop is apartheid South Africa and the stuggles of white and black alike.
Simone
This is one of those books you become so involved in reading it takes you a minute to return back to reality. It is fantastic, it is probing, it makes you think. It allows you to go to the brink and peer in without fear of falling.
Debbi
Kind of a creepy book. Not sure what actually happens to the protagonist in the end. He either escapes or dies - Ha! Of course - those are the two options. Well written, keeps you reading, but not very satisfying in the end.
Dan
I read this book when I went to South Africa in 2000. I ready it again before returning this year - it's weird...lotta stuff comin' outta left field. I loved it again.
Reedz0r
i kept trying to get into this, but failed. too much exposition and i didn't feel any of the tension. gave up by page 53.
This book will shake you up. It is spooky and beautiful, a fantasy that also seems really true.
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Karen Hanlon
Karen Hanlon marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Mar 15, 2014
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Iain
Iain added it
Jan 26, 2014
Khawla
Khawla is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2014
André Philippus Brink is a South African novelist. He writes in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go...more
More about André Brink...
A Dry White Season Philida An Instant in the Wind The Other Side of Silence Imaginings of Sand