Start by marking “Devil's Valley” as Want to Read:
Devil's Valley

Devil's Valley

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When Flip Lochner, a seedy, tired journalist fleeing a failed marriage, sees a beautiful woman with four breasts in Devil's Valley, he thinks it's a mirage. But then a man called Lukas Death stands before him. So begins Lochner's search for "the truth" first hinted at by a young student in Cape Town who was mysteriously killed. Lochner meets Lukas Death's clan, where right ...more
Published April 20th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Valley

Tiah
Apr 11, 2010 Tiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is bonkers, and unlike his others I have read thus far. I enjoyed the theatrics and the outlandish "quotable" lines.
RK-ique
Oct 16, 2012 RK-ique rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: really-bad, fiction
Not as good as I expected. In order to set main character up as jaded and cynical, author uses a great deal of vulgarity and crudeness. Not really necessary and clashes with later role of character. As story is told in 1st person, vulgarity of character is not in line with any change he may have undergone through unfolding of events.

Also, all of the characters came across as unbelievable to me. They were not well developed, even the love interest of the main character. As she was important to t
JJ
May 10, 2015 JJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: south-african
I'm revisiting this book now in my mind nearly a whole year after I read it. I want to briefly reappraise it, as the novel only really began to reveal itself to me sometime after I read it, when I began reading deeply into Afrikaner culture.

Without a re-read I'm not sure that I could completely and accurately describe what makes this novel so much more excellent than what it seemed initially, but I recommend reading it only after having read somewhat into the background and traditional values of
Margitte
Die boek was nie 'n verrassing nie, want dit is 'n tipiese André P. Brink roman: daag die leser uit met eie voorkeure en afkeure, en versin 'n verhaal wat 'n mens laat steier - van bewondering, van stoute lagbuie of onverbloemde woede oor die 'misbruik' van volkseie mites en mores. Die verrassing lê egter daarin dat die skrywer so 'n biejtjie afgewyk het van sy veldtog teen Apartheid en nou speels, en ernstig aandag gee aan ander gebruike en stories in die Afrikanergeledere. Net 'n opregte Afrik ...more
Zuzu Burford
Aug 22, 2014 Zuzu Burford rated it really liked it
An interesting story illustrating the mindset of the Boer community during apartheid by using an isolated settlement representing the isolated South Africa. Truly frightening when one realises the oppression this political party enforced as a minority government.
Marie
Jul 15, 2014 Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor, havent finished, only suffered thriugh 2/3 of it. Flat and unbelievably vague characters, boring, obscene language and plot full of nonsense. Sorry.
Marthe Bijman
May 02, 2015 Marthe Bijman rated it really liked it
Read this after the author died in Feb. 2015 - as always, intriguing.
Oct 30, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"(...) Er ligt een verschrikkelijke stilte over de bergen. Ik ben onverwacht een flink eind gevorderd. Het wordt al moeilijk om te geloven wat daarbeneden is gebeurd. Alles waarover ik beschik, ik de geschiedschrijver, ik de misdaadverslaggever, op zoek naar feiten, feiten, feiten, is een onmogelijke knoop van tegenstrijdige verhalen. En toch heeft ze gezegd: Dat wil niet zeggen dat er nooit iets gebeurd is. Dat mag ik niet vergeten.(...)"

p. 385

Noot: Wie niet houdt van open eindes, raad ik ten
Jessie
Aug 17, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it
This is my third novel by the South African writer Andre Brink, and I am taken by the pains he takes to include women's stories, even acknowledges that there is such a thing. Brink follows a failed historian-cum-journalist as he tracks down the mysterious and reclusive clan of Devil's Valley, after witnessing the death of a rare breakaway member. He struggles to memorialize the clan's history. I usually despise magical realism but the fantastical elements of the tale are woven well into the stor ...more
Eleen
May 07, 2009 Eleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite book of all times... I've read it about 20 times, I think it might be because it feels a bit like visiting my granny's house again, comfortable, old school and smells like cookies... I've read most of his books subsequently, always searching for the same magical high that I found in this one, but I've never been able to find it again anywhere else...
Kerry
Aug 12, 2008 Kerry rated it did not like it
A long, tiring read that keeps you hoping for more, but ultimately ends disappointingly without climax, chocked full of cliche. If I hadn't been reading it for a book club, I'd have put it down less than a 1/4 of the way through. I had to force myself to keep coming back. Very disappointing.
Scott Fairbanks
Sep 18, 2009 Scott Fairbanks rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It is a mythology of sorts. Your never sure which bits are concretely anchored and which are hallucination. It is like a portrait of the Boers who settled South Africa done by the Mad magazine artist. I almost swallowed this book whole. Could not stop reading it.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brink Fans
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I am the biggest Brink Fan on the planet. He is my favourite author so I am biased with all of his work. Don't expect a balanced review from me. As with all Brinks work the backdrop is apartheid South Africa and the stuggles of white and black alike.
Simone
May 04, 2008 Simone rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books you become so involved in reading it takes you a minute to return back to reality. It is fantastic, it is probing, it makes you think. It allows you to go to the brink and peer in without fear of falling.
Debbi
Jul 07, 2012 Debbi rated it liked it
Kind of a creepy book. Not sure what actually happens to the protagonist in the end. He either escapes or dies - Ha! Of course - those are the two options. Well written, keeps you reading, but not very satisfying in the end.
Dan
Oct 13, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
I read this book when I went to South Africa in 2000. I ready it again before returning this year - it's weird...lotta stuff comin' outta left field. I loved it again.
May 17, 2015 Laura added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Gave up on this one about 50 pages in. It never grabbed me and my mind kept wandering which is never a good sign. Time to pick another off the shelf.
Reedz0r
Jul 29, 2012 Reedz0r rated it it was ok
i kept trying to get into this, but failed. too much exposition and i didn't feel any of the tension. gave up by page 53.
Jan 02, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book will shake you up. It is spooky and beautiful, a fantasy that also seems really true.
Wihan Esterhuizen
Wihan Esterhuizen is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Cariena Henrico
Cariena Henrico marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rozaan Boer
Rozaan Boer rated it really liked it
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Elize Bronkhorst
Elize Bronkhorst marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny added it
Joey Lindeque
Joey Lindeque marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Gert
Gert rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Siphenathi
Siphenathi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Dance with a Poor Man's Daughter
  • Family Likeness
  • The Fall of Light
  • Mhudi
  • Byleveld: Dossier of a Serial Sleuth (Kindle Edition)
  • Killing Kebble: An Underworld Exposed
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...

“As Alan Paton said, 'Ah but your fucking land is beautiful'.” 4 likes