Start by marking “Jack and the Beanstalk: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When Jack sells his family's cow for magic beans, his mother is anything but pleased. Soon, however, the beans sprout into a towering beanstalk. It leads to a castle filled with gold and other treasures. Jack's family will be rich, if he can sneak past the man-eating giant!
Published September 1st 2008 by Stone Arch Books (first published August 2008)

Carolyn
Mar 22, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this graphic novel for kids! The pictures were amazing and the story was very classic:) As a mom, I really loved all the pages in the back with super simple word definitions, discussion questions, and more. I will definitely be purchasing this book for my kids!
Carrie Speranza
Categories/Genres: Traditional Literature, Fairy tales, Graphic Novel

Estimate of age level of interest: Grades 3-6

Estimate of reading level: Grade Level Equivalent- 2.3

Brief description- Jack and his mother are struggling to make ends meet. When Jack trades their cow for a few lousy beans his mother is furious and throws them out the window. Overnight a beanstalk grows high into the sky. What will Jack find? Read this graphic novel to find out!

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre a
Val
Out of all the Graphic novel Fairy tales in this series, Jack and the Beanstalk is the best. I thought the illustrations had more of a graphic novel feel than the previous books. The story was also more than just a summary common to the other books.

I really liked that this version had Jack reclaiming his families lost treasure from the Giant rather than just being a mischievous thief. The story is ended very quickly and could have used another panel or two. Other than that it is a popular title
Peninnah
Kristin King
Jun 15, 2015 Kristin King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a set borrowed together from the library, my 8 yr old son awarded this tale 5 stars, Hansel & Gretel 1 star and Cinderella 3+ stars.
Jenna Mills
Not as fun as I thought it would be, but I think the kids will enjoy it. I liked the information at the end of the book.
Paula Greenfield
Dec 30, 2015 Paula Greenfield added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Paula by: library
A wonderful retelling of the Jack and the giant.
Katelynn
Jan 11, 2016 Katelynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot better as a graphic novel.
R. C.
Feb 21, 2009 R. C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread!" This retelling appealed to my comic book loving kid and was faithful enough to the classic version to please his literature loving mom.

The illustrations could have been better, but the history of the story, writing prompts and discussion questions are worth the cost of the book. I'm used to seeing comprehension questions touted as discussion questions in books for readers at this level. These actually fired up a dialogue betwee
Marie
Jun 13, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this modern spin on a classic tale, Jack sells his mother’s cow for five magic beans, which grow into a sky-high bean stalk overnight. When Jack climbs to the top of the bean stalk he finds that a mean giant and his kind wife live there. Jack realizes that the giant killed his father and is determined to make the giant pay. Jack takes only what the giant stole from his family and soon the giant meets the same fate Jack’s father did.

I love the pictures from this graphic novel and how in the en
Brook
Jul 02, 2010 Brook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered this great little gem. I borrowed if from the library after reading about it. It is one that I would like to own. My kids (ages 5 & 7) giggled at the expressive Jack and his crazy hair. They loved the dialogue. After we finished reading they immediately turned back to re-read their favorite funny parts and then acted it out themselves (twice). I will certainly be checking out the rest of this "Graphic Spin" series. For a great discussion about graphic novels check out Shann ...more
Alison Russell
This graphic novel tells the traditional, Disney-esque story of Jack and the Beanstalk. The fact that it is a graphic novel really doesn't add anything to the story. The plot is the same and there is still text at the bottom of each picture. The only real difference is that speech bubbles are used, and there are multiple scenes on some pages. This isn't a great read, but perhaps could be used to students as a non-example of how the format of a book can enhance the story (or not, in this case).
Kelsey Harmon
My class of first graders read this last week during their fairy tales unit. I liked that my mentor teacher used this because it introduced a new kind of genre to them. Most of them had never seen a graphic novel before, and the story was also different from the original fairy tale. This then lead them to looking at the similarities and differences between the two stories, as well as the differences and similarities between the two kinds of novels.
Robert Marsh
Dec 14, 2010 Robert Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great retelling and cool artwork. It made the list of top 20 books preferred by struggling 4th and 5th grade readers. Renaissance Learning puts out a "What Kids Are Reading" study each year where -- oddly enough -- kids share the titles of the books they most enjoy reading. This book made the 2011 list. And for good reason.

If you've got a kids who think they don't like reading -- give them this book and prove them wrong.
Zack Reagin
This was a pretty standard telling of Jack and the Beanstalk (or in this case Jack and the Magic Beans). It was helpful for adding a lot of words to my Spanish vocabulary, but wasn't as detailed as some of the versions I'd heard when I was younger.
Benjamin Kelien
Another classic fairy tale redone as a graphic novel/comic book. This one is actually more like the original book than I remember. I'd recommend it for grades 4 and 5 because their may be some words that younger grades may not know.
Jill
This is a cool series--graphic novelizations of fairy tales. It cuts out on the wordiness that can sometimes accompany a traditional fairy tale. The kids and I both enjoyed this story.
Lauren
Love the style of the illustrations and design of the book, in general. Even the endpages are a lovely, swirly, shiny/vinyl-like black.
Truly
Aug 28, 2011 Truly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book and a graphic novel is great too. i love that is is said to be extremely close to one of the original stories.
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok
Hoena, Blake *
cartoon verson of the old story with nothing new added.
Leslie Chivers
This was a pretty standard retelling but I enjoyed flipping through because of the rich illustrations.
Oct 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Another good fairy-tale-turned-graphic-novel. Good illustrations, but again the dialogue could use some work.
Judith
Sep 25, 2010 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked this retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, but I felt bad for Milky White, the cow.
Donalyn
Apr 12, 2012 Donalyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A graphic novel retelling of the classic fairy tale.
Kathy Garner
Sep 16, 2012 Kathy Garner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked that it gave history of the original story.
Snow
Feb 07, 2010 Snow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-comics
read for NoveList recommended reading lists
Rebekah
Nov 21, 2011 Rebekah rated it liked it
The drawings were very cute.
Leeann
Leeann rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Sue Maloney
Sue Maloney rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Blake A. Hoena grew up in central Wisconsin, where, in his youth, he wrote stories about robots conquering the Moon and trolls lumbering around in the woods behind his parents house, and the fact that the trolls were hunting for little boys had nothing to do with Blake’s pesky brothers. Later, he moved to Minnesota to pursue a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing from Minnesota State Un ...more
More about Blake Hoena...