Jack and the Beanstalk: The Graphic Novel

Jack and the Beanstalk: The Graphic Novel

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Jack sells his family's cow for magic beans, his mother is anything but pleased. Soon, however, the beans sprout into a towering beanstalk. It leads to a castle filled with gold and other treasures. Jack's family will be rich, if he can sneak past the man-eating giant!
Published September 1st 2008 by Stone Arch Books (first published August 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Beanstalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Beanstalk

Val
Out of all the Graphic novel Fairy tales in this series, Jack and the Beanstalk is the best. I thought the illustrations had more of a graphic novel feel than the previous books. The story was also more than just a summary common to the other books.

I really liked that this version had Jack reclaiming his families lost treasure from the Giant rather than just being a mischievous thief. The story is ended very quickly and could have used another panel or two. Other than that it is a popular title...more
R. C.
"Be he alive or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread!" This retelling appealed to my comic book loving kid and was faithful enough to the classic version to please his literature loving mom.

The illustrations could have been better, but the history of the story, writing prompts and discussion questions are worth the cost of the book. I'm used to seeing comprehension questions touted as discussion questions in books for readers at this level. These actually fired up a dialogue betwee...more
Marie
In this modern spin on a classic tale, Jack sells his mother’s cow for five magic beans, which grow into a sky-high bean stalk overnight. When Jack climbs to the top of the bean stalk he finds that a mean giant and his kind wife live there. Jack realizes that the giant killed his father and is determined to make the giant pay. Jack takes only what the giant stole from his family and soon the giant meets the same fate Jack’s father did.

I love the pictures from this graphic novel and how in the en...more
Brook
I just discovered this great little gem. I borrowed if from the library after reading about it. It is one that I would like to own. My kids (ages 5 & 7) giggled at the expressive Jack and his crazy hair. They loved the dialogue. After we finished reading they immediately turned back to re-read their favorite funny parts and then acted it out themselves (twice). I will certainly be checking out the rest of this "Graphic Spin" series. For a great discussion about graphic novels check out Shann...more
Alison Russell
This graphic novel tells the traditional, Disney-esque story of Jack and the Beanstalk. The fact that it is a graphic novel really doesn't add anything to the story. The plot is the same and there is still text at the bottom of each picture. The only real difference is that speech bubbles are used, and there are multiple scenes on some pages. This isn't a great read, but perhaps could be used to students as a non-example of how the format of a book can enhance the story (or not, in this case).
Kelsey Harmon
My class of first graders read this last week during their fairy tales unit. I liked that my mentor teacher used this because it introduced a new kind of genre to them. Most of them had never seen a graphic novel before, and the story was also different from the original fairy tale. This then lead them to looking at the similarities and differences between the two stories, as well as the differences and similarities between the two kinds of novels.
Robert Marsh
Great retelling and cool artwork. It made the list of top 20 books preferred by struggling 4th and 5th grade readers. Renaissance Learning puts out a "What Kids Are Reading" study each year where -- oddly enough -- kids share the titles of the books they most enjoy reading. This book made the 2011 list. And for good reason.

If you've got a kids who think they don't like reading -- give them this book and prove them wrong.
Zack Reagin
This was a pretty standard telling of Jack and the Beanstalk (or in this case Jack and the Magic Beans). It was helpful for adding a lot of words to my Spanish vocabulary, but wasn't as detailed as some of the versions I'd heard when I was younger.
Benjamin Kelien
Another classic fairy tale redone as a graphic novel/comic book. This one is actually more like the original book than I remember. I'd recommend it for grades 4 and 5 because their may be some words that younger grades may not know.
Jill
This is a cool series--graphic novelizations of fairy tales. It cuts out on the wordiness that can sometimes accompany a traditional fairy tale. The kids and I both enjoyed this story.
Lauren
Love the style of the illustrations and design of the book, in general. Even the endpages are a lovely, swirly, shiny/vinyl-like black.
Truly
i love this book and a graphic novel is great too. i love that is is said to be extremely close to one of the original stories.
Another good fairy-tale-turned-graphic-novel. Good illustrations, but again the dialogue could use some work.
Judith Wright
I liked this retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, but I felt bad for Milky White, the cow.
Theresa
cartoon verson of the old story with nothing new added.
Donalyn
A graphic novel retelling of the classic fairy tale.
Kathy Garner
Liked that it gave history of the original story.
Snow
read for NoveList recommended reading lists
Rebekah
The drawings were very cute.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Noramajors
Noramajors marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Blake A. Hoena grew up in central Wisconsin, where, in his youth, he wrote stories about robots conquering the Moon and trolls lumbering around in the woods behind his parents house, and the fact that the trolls were hunting for little boys had nothing to do with Blake’s pesky brothers. Later, he moved to Minnesota to pursue a Masters of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing from Minnesota State Un...more
More about Blake Hoena...
Batman: Harley Quinn's Shocking Surprise Perseus and Medusa Batman Poison Ivy's Deadly Garden Odysseus Eek & Ack, Invaders from the Great Goo Galaxy