Essential Iron Man - Volume 1

Essential Iron Man - Volume 1 (Essential Iron Man #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Inventor, business-man, playboy...super hero Gravely injured in combat, billionaire genius Tony Stark saved his own life by designing a life-sustaining shell - the hi-tech protective covering that transformed him into the invincible Iron Man Now, the world believes him to be Tony Stark's personal bodyguard. In this dual role, he faces boardroom intrigue and super-powered m...more
Paperback, Third edition, 512 pages
Published October 11th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2000)

Michael
In an effort to pin down what it is I like (and dislike) about Iron Man, I'm going back and reading him from the beginning. I can say with certainty that Tony Stark was originally (a) kind of a prick and (b) pretty dull. As a kid I picked up a few issues from the beginning of the Michelinie/Layton run; I might be waiting until his backstory and supporting cast are fleshed out sufficiently to make me enjoy reading Iron Man stories.
Rich Meyer
The first volume in the Essential Iron Man series naturally features Shellhead's first appearances in Marvel Comics' Tales of Suspense.

These are some fun stories, even if a lot of them are somewhat forgettable. Iron Man battles a villain called Doctor Strange, a giant caveman robot and a mess o' Commies before getting into with his soon-to-be Rogues' Gallery: Crimson Dynamo, the Melter, the Mandarin, Mr. Doll ... okay, so even then, not all of them were classics. Captain America, the Angel (and...more
J.M. Hushour
Iron Man from the very beginning in all its hyperbolic grandeur! These are precious. Tony Stark's POW experience in Vietnam, creation of the awful first Iron Man suit, battles with enemies like "The Unicorn", "The Melter" (no shit!), "Gargantus" and the superb "Mandarin". Commies abound and the American dream is pursued in stopping the advance of the evil Reds at the hands of Iron Man. Blatant and repetitive exposition consume the panels, crushing the illustrations down into one quarter of the f...more
Nicolo Yu
I really these Marvel Essential books, these thick paperbacks that reprint classic comics stories in black and white. This makes it cheaper than your standard trade paperback since it foregoes and the color and printed on newsprint.

I read Essential Iron Man Volume 1 expecting a lot classic superhero action. I got that more and more. Stan Lee was squeezing a lot of ideas. Given the time frame, the Cold War and spying references were expected. The romance angle caught me off guard. You never see t...more
Adam Graham
To me, the most amazing fact about Iron Man is that it took him more than 5 years to get his own self-titled comic book. He premiered in Tales of Suspense #39 and continued to be the top feature or one of the top features until Issue 99 when the Magazine was named after Captain America and he was off for a one-shot magazine with Sub-mariner before getting his own in May 1968. This book collects Iron Man's first 34 adventures in Tales of Suspense.

Overall, they made for some pretty interesting rea...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Tales of Suspense #39-72 (March 1963-December 1965). Industrialist and playboy Tony Stark is injured by an explosion leaving a piece of shrapnel headed to his heart. To save himself and avenge his ally Professor Yinsen, Tony Stark must create a suit of armor and becomes a hero. Now posing as his own bodyguard, Tony Stark is Iron Man!

Written by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Robert Bernstein, Don Rico, and Al Hartley with illustrations by Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and Don Heck, Essential Iron Ma...more
David
I picked bought this online, thinking it would be a full-color reproduction of the original Iron Man stories. The first ding against it is that it is all black and white. I'm pretty sure the originals were in color, so I assume this was a cost-staving measure on Marvel's part. I definitely do not like it. There's something inherently wrong about publishing "four-color crack" in black and white.

(ASIDE: If a comic is originally black and white, I have nothing against it. I've read some wonderful,...more
Christopher Dodd
I picked this up when it I really wanted some new comics and this was all I could find at the book store.

The early stories are pretty weak until Stan Lee picks up full writing credit. They just didn't have much pizazz.

The evolution of the art for the side characters was interesting. Happy and Pepper Pots start off pretty homely (for comic book characters). But as they become more important to the stories and the romance is keyed up, they become more and more attractive.

The explanations for Stark...more
Amanda
I picked this up with the goal of reading through all of the Iron Man comics as best as possible. After you sift through some of the racism and sexism (common for the time period in which it was written I suppose?) about halfway through I actually found myself getting emotionally involved in the lives of Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, and Happy Hogan. I recommend this to anyone curious about how the popular superhero started out as well as an interesting study into the mind of early 1960s America.
Jacob
IRONMAN!!! The original cheesy comic book! I honestly had only read the new ones that look like manga. If you didn't like those, this is much better. Ironman was fun to read and experience the cultural concerns at the time to the Chinese, Soviets, Koreans, Magical creatures, robots, circus freaks, chauffeurs. I loved this book but as you get into the later issues after this book they get worse. I couldn't find The essential iron man 2 because it was not in print any more.
Mike
I liked this collection, but mostly because I've been a huge Iron Man fan since I was a kid. The Cold War stereotypes about the Soviets and Chinese are entertaining and irritating in equal amounts. Enjoying this collection all relies on your ability to understand the context of the stories and to not judge the content too harshly based on comics standards of the 21st century.
Steven
While some of the quality (or lack thereof) can be laid at the feet of the time the stories were created, a good deal of it has to do with Iron Man being one of the Marvel b-team of characters, with consequent slapdash work on the art and stories. Rife with racism and sexism, this volume of the first Iron Man stories is best seen as a historical curiosity than anything else.
Devero
Le originali prime storie dell'uomo di ferro. Per quanto naif le primissime storie restano interessanti, col tempo migliorano. Don Heck qui lavora meglio del solito, su avengers fosse stato a questi livelli.
inoltre le prime apparizioni di Occhio di Falco e della Vedova Nera nonché del Mandarino.
Thomas
Jul 29, 2013 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Good times in the World of the original Iron Man. Seems old shell head shared comics space with Captain America. I'm after that one next. Fun, great old-timey art (a few of these are Kirby, the rest are mostly the under-rated Don Heck. )

Includes the Hawkeye and Black Widow origin stories!
Ned
Enjoyed getting in touch with the early Iron Man mythology. The early stories are a bit creaky, but the book develops its voice and style within the first year or so. I look forward to reading volume 2!
Will
For those interested in the original Iron Man issues, this is a decent enough place to start. No color, which is bogus, but the true first-time origin story is pretty cool to see.
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. However, I was impressed by how closely the movie stayed to the origin story printed here.
David
This book was a ton of fun to read. If you like nutty cold-war paranoia with your super heroics, then look no further.
Mike Jensen
I thought it would be fun to read this before seeing the movie. I was wrong.
Trey
What can i say?...I like comics! And don't call me a nerd!
Dion
Man the old stories in comicbook-dom are lacking in nuance.
j_ay
Research for a sketch card project...
David Press
Very much "of its time".
Will Hoover
Will Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Scott Thompson
Scott Thompson is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2014
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8: Sins Past
  • Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 1: Single Green Female
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Captain America, and many other characters, int...more
More about Stan Lee...
How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 Essential Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1