Start by marking “First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  25,652 Ratings  ·  463 Reviews
First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
Published May 5th 1999 by Gallup Press (first published May 5th 1998)

Natalia Luneva
Nov 03, 2011 Natalia Luneva rated it really liked it
The best managers are those that build a work environment where the employees answer positively to these 12 Questions:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encoura
Stephanie
Jun 12, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Yesterday, I had a conversation with my best friend. she told me that her new principal (she's a 5th grade teacher) enrolled her in a number of training sessions. I immediately asked, "Why would she do that? She doesn't even know you yet!" My friend was slightly shocked, I think, because we have been conditioned to believe, as employees, that investment in YOU means that someone cares or thinks you're pretty hot stuff. After reading the first third of FBATR, I feel as though managers do too much ...more
Katie
Aug 26, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers
Shelves: self-improvement
This book had some sound advice as it focused on the four key principles all great managers know and practice: 1) select for talent, 2) define the right outcomes, 3) focus on strengths, and 4) encourage employees to find the right fit. It's worth a read, but I feel like I have to have a degree in psychology (or psychiatry for that matter) to be a great manager. Nonetheless, time will tell!
Foad Ansari
Nov 27, 2016 Foad Ansari rated it did not like it
کتاب مزخرفی بود ترجمه ش از خود کتاب مزخرفتر بود
نصفه نیمه رهاش کردم
Bob Selden
Aug 04, 2008 Bob Selden rated it liked it
Other than present the findings of the research studies by the Gallop organisation, I’m not sure what aim the authors had for “First break all the rules”. The title sounds like a “how to” book, yet the introduction does not suggest this.

Chapter one sets out the research results, Chapter two debates what the authors term “conventional wisdom”. The remaining chapters, based on the “4 keys” to successful management, do indeed become a “how to”.

Chapter one is excellent. The 12 questions developed
David
Feb 27, 2008 David rated it really liked it
"People don't leave jobs or companies - they leave managers."
misha
Feb 20, 2008 misha rated it did not like it
A perfectly good tree died for this book.

Lu
Apr 09, 2010 Lu rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading Marcus Buckingham's book First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently recently, and enjoyed it immensely.

I generally like books that go against conventional wisdom, and this book is quite different than the other management books I've read in the years.

For example, the "break all the rules" in the title were touched upon at the introduction section, and I quote directly from the book:

"The greatest managers in the world do not have mu
Ashley
Feb 11, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a job
Recommended to Ashley by: volenti
I'm not a manager, but this book felt especially relevant to me since my company just did an employee survey based on the 12 questions Gallup formulated through this study. It was interesting to compare my thoughts on the survey without knowing anything about it, to learning all the mechanics and data of 'why' behind it all.

I've also been thinking about my next steps at my current company, and this provided some guidance on really taking time to figure out what I'm good, what I enjoy, and not j
Eva
Jan 30, 2012 Eva added it
Some notes:

People don't change.

Value talent, not experience.

Value outcome, not steps.

Cast people for fit, not the rung on the ladder.

Focus on strengths, not weaknesses.

Happiness at work:
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the past seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to
Parcoast
May 27, 2011 Parcoast rated it liked it
As another research-based business book, this one presented a great point-of-view on managing people. While it does seem that Buckingham departed from his research slightly from time to time, the message still rings true. I would recommend that all managers consider the idea that people are all different, and therefore should be managed differently, not the same.

While I like the main message of this book, I will say that the delivery was somewhat lacking. The content was good, but it just isn't
Matt
Feb 23, 2010 Matt rated it it was ok
Shelves: biz-reads
This book explodes the notion of being well rounded as a good thing and says that great managers value innate "talent" over curiosity, intelligence, or eagerness to learn. I worry that the focus on selecting and grooming talent may be interpreted by some as an excuse to avoid development or training, and to write off strugglers/stragglers as "non-talents." At the very least, Gallup has a unique approach; this is a good litmus test for how much you can buy into what later became their "StrengthsF ...more
Viet Hung Nguyen
May 07, 2012 Viet Hung Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who does people development (developing him/herself as well as others)
The findings in this book would surprise many of us, who do self-development or others-development everyday. It would give you an effective framework in recruiting the right ones, setting the right goals, focusing on the strengths, and assigning the right roles to the subordinates. That'll help to bring the best out of them. What would surprise you is that you'll find many myths that you used to think it is right, but it is not from the findings of Gallup.
Graham
Nov 09, 2008 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
All about managing people.

It would seem that the way to be a successful manager is to find successful people to manage :-)
Cathy Allen
Cathy Allen A few years back, in a fit of misguided patriotism, I took a J.O.B. in a government agency with a mission to help people who would otherwise struggle to get by. Two weeks in, I realized I was reporting to a supervisor who knew nothing about being a supervisor. Worse, one of her colleagues decided to "help" by inserting himself into everything our unit did. I had two bosses, and I had no idea how to make either of them happy.

Then one day, I spotted this book on Boss #2's shelf. I'd al
Angel
Faz
Jan 25, 2016 Faz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favorites
I've approached this book from different points of view and, by extension, different needs:

1. as a program manager of a management learning program (2004 - 2007):
to find out if the book is suitable as a thought-provoking gift to a group of new managers who have
just completed their management development program.

2. as a management consultant (2007 - 2011):
to learn the words and pictures used to describe talent, superstar performers, expectations and the
different behaviors.

3. as a manager (
Dhiraj Sharma
Feb 12, 2013 Dhiraj Sharma rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by one of my colleagues. I usually don't read management or self help books as I find them boring but this one read like a novel and I could relate to several instances and situations which I face everyday in corporate world.

Probably the best management book written so far. Its based on market research conducted by Gallup over a span of many years.

The results are outstanding and help to break many conventional ground rules followed by Management across many compan
Ed Gibney
Dec 10, 2012 Ed Gibney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences, business
This was the book that launched Gallup's HR consulting practice. Taking their organizational core competencies of surveys and data analysis into the workplace yielded a magnificent business book that for once wasn't personality or anecdote driven. Gallup surveyed millions of workers, defined success for a business unit based on quantifiable outcomes, and then conducted qualitative interviews to follow up on what the best managers were doing differently. Understanding the results will make you a ...more
Mary
Jan 31, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-buying
Fascinating ideas about what great management is really about. So much of it flies in the face of what we've been told and their data and examples explain why. It was difficult to reconcile some long-held beliefs about being well-rounded, but I can see their points. There's a lot of ideas to ponder as you figure out the best role for yourself. It's targeted to managers, but anyone can benefit from reading this and rethinking how you approach your work and your career. I think most of us recogniz ...more
Jenni
Sep 15, 2008 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Just about everyone
Recommended to Jenni by: Sean Jacobs
Shelves: recommended
Wow -- this book is fantastic!

My favorite thing about this book is that it is researched-based. Gallup did extensive surveys of the most successful managers across mutiple disciplines. So, it's not just another book written from the perspective of one person who had success -- it's the culmination of commonalities of success across fields. Brilliant! The result is a modern, logical way to manage staff.

This book put into words what I could not. I am utilizing the managerial philosophy described
Ezra
Mar 13, 2015 Ezra rated it it was ok
This book greatly annoyed me. It poses as giving the secrets to managers to motivate employees into being the best. Very little gave me any confidence it could possibly work.

We have to trust the authors the "great" managers really are since very little information is provided about them to independently judge.

I'd like to see experimental data where the methods described indicate strong evidence they work. Otherwise, there could be any number of other factors influencing why employees improved.
Andy Doyle
Mar 10, 2015 Andy Doyle rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best management books I have ever read. Much of this book goes against conventional wisdom and against the buzz words and managment-trend-of-the-minute you hear so much of in the workplace.

This book is the end result of a number of exhaustive interviews Gallop did with many, many, many star managers. Their "star managers" were defined as the managers employers wish they could clone.

I highly recommend this book. It will make you look at your job in an entirely new light.
Lee Ann
Dec 02, 2015 Lee Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-books
We are currently using it with our RDs in leadership training thus I am re-reading this book. This is a great book for first time managers, really for any manager new or old. We used it in leadership development at a past company and I have given it out many times to sales reps who had recently received a promotion to management. If you want to read into what makes a Great Manager as well as common mistakes managers make, this is a good book to have in your library.
Thadeus
Dec 31, 2014 Thadeus rated it really liked it
Shelves: effectiveness
This was a very valuable read. If you are in a supervisory role, I would recommend this read. It is based upon in-depth research by the Gallup organization.

It speaks to the importance of talent, and focusing on making the most of people's natural talents, rather than focusing on trying to improve areas of weakness. Several other practical ideas are shared throughout the book.

Highly recommended for managers.
Andrew
Dec 11, 2009 Andrew rated it did not like it
Maybe I'm already a "great manager" or maybe they were just trying to make me think so, but it seems to me that all of the recommendations in this book are pretty obvious...all employees are different and require different inspiration, focus on your best performers, communicate often and clearly.

Definitely not groundbreaking or even informative from my perspective.
بثينة
Jan 11, 2011 بثينة rated it liked it
The book was good but I expected better. I actually enjoyed the other books Strenght Finder and Strength based leadership more. This is more descriptive and less strigh to the point. I think it would be recommended for people who are just starting in managment.
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 Steve rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Gallup interviewed 8000 people. However, only about a dozen people were actually cited in the text. There really wasn't much that this book did for me. There was no "A-ha" moment. The author didn't even explain what these rules are that we are supposed to be breaking. Just disappointing.
Jerry Nechal
Oct 27, 2011 Jerry Nechal rated it it was ok
I read this a few years back. Overall I did not find this book and its approaches to management all that impressive. I have also heard Buckingham speak at a conference. He strikes me as someone who has not managed a lot but has a lot advice on how to do it.
Ben
Jan 24, 2009 Ben rated it it was ok
Didn't find this too be very helpful, although the author had some good points. I listened to it on cd and probably wouldn't have finished the book if I wasn't driving for ten hours.
Learning Material, Implementing Concepts 2 18 Aug 14, 2013 07:00AM
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • The Essential Drucker
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • The Halo Effect: ... and the Eight Other Business Delusions That Deceive Managers
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
In a world where efficiency and competency rule the workplace, where do personal strengths fit in?

It's a complex question, one that intrigued Cambridge-educated Marcus Buckingham so greatly, he set out to answer it by challenging years of social theory and utilizing his nearly two decades of research experience as a Sr. Researcher at Gallup Organization to break through the preconceptions about a
More about Marcus Buckingham...

“Talent is the multiplier. The more energy and attention you invest in it, the greater the yield. The time you spend with your best is, quite simply, your most productive time.” 26 likes
“True individuality can be lonely.” 6 likes