Start by marking “The Teraport Wars (Schlock Mercenary, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Teraport Wars (Schlock Mercenary, #2)

The Teraport Wars (Schlock Mercenary #2)

Sergeant Schlock lost his eyes, and thanks to a quirk of amorph biology he needs to steal new ones. Naturally, he asks Tagon's Toughs to help. Then an offer for real employment arrives, and Schlock, Tagon, and the rest of the company find themselves engaged in a battle for galactic domination. Admiral Breya Andreyasn has attacked a Buuthandi (think "Dyson's Helium ...more
Published August 9th 2008 by The Tayler Corperation (first published August 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Teraport Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teraport Wars

Brad
Mar 21, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
After a slow start, the action picked up quite nicely, building to planetary action, then dyson sphere singularity action, all the way to a little lunacy. I"m very impressed with the stories and the sci-fi. The art is getting better, too. I think I've found my next favorite comic, but I'll be honest, it only grows on you with repetition. Like Schlock. And plasma burns. And Gravy.
Becky
Oct 04, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
The blend of long story arcs and daily punchlines must be incredibly difficult, but Howard Tayler makes it look easy. And funny, always funny.
Jeff
Aug 07, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
This collection really hit the ground running. Some seriously original and cool storylines here, with much more characterization. The concept of the Teraport Wars and how all the characters fit into the story is genius. The humor fits like a glove now, creating a unique tone and blend of epic science fiction and comedy unlike one that I have seen before. Especially so since we have several major characters die, and yet the tragedy is simultaneously epic, sad, and hilarious.

The story threads weav
Rachel
Nov 29, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Got my copy in September, and I wasn't disappointed. The books are all printed on quality paper and as always a fun read.

I love these series of comic books! Goofy humor, great sci-fi plot, and the ominous hum of Schlock's plasma gun. What's not to like?

The author, Howard Tayler is one twisted, but very, very funny guy. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

Howard Tayler writes one of the longest running web comics. Check it out at http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Then buy the books, you w
Shannan
Feb 27, 2016 Shannan rated it really liked it
This is exactly what I needed after a crappy day at work. I love that all the characters are individual and hilarious in their own way and the fact that they have no moral code makes it that much more awesome (I think I could only ever say that about a comic). It was also fun to watch Mr. Tayler's artistic skills gradually improve over the course of the book.

This is the only non-"Calvin and Hobbes" comic book I've ever read and probably the only other one I know in existence that can genuinely
Jesse Whitehead
Jun 09, 2011 Jesse Whitehead rated it it was amazing
The Teraport Wars already shows a great deal of improvement both in Taylor’s artwork and in his writing. His writing was never bad, just unpolished. It’s starting to look like he knows what he’s doing. This is a very good thing.

When Taylor started out he was brilliant. Now that he’s starting to get a grasp on his story telling style and become more comfortable in his style of media he has begun to poke at the realm of pure genius.

This is firmly in the realm of satire in the same vein as Terry Pr
Vernon Ray
Oct 12, 2009 Vernon Ray rated it it was amazing
Why did I buy a book that I had already read for free already on the internet. Because one day the power might be out when I need some Ovalqwik or a chupaqueso, in other words my daily Schlock fix. Also I wanted to have something physical. The bonus comic was nice too. and the fan art (especially Laura Hoerster's on page 134) is a superb extension of Tayler's characters. This book is the point where the stories start to turn epic.
Arbogast Holmskragga
Jan 26, 2014 Arbogast Holmskragga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Volume 2 of Howard Tayler's webcomic-turned-graphic-novel, and at least as much fun as the previous one. Plus, not only do you get some seriously unexpected (but perfectly believable) plot twists, you also get to see the rapid improvement in his artwork. And never forget, pillage, THEN burn (I think Howard must be friends with some Marklanders).
Sean
Nov 10, 2008 Sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody with a sense of humor.
The latest in the Schlock Mercenary 'dead tree' editions. Let's face it, these books are going to be gobbled up by me as soon as they arrive, and they're always going to get perfect ratings.

I just have this liking for well-paced humor, solid art, plots that never really seem to get lost and, oh, hard science-fiction underpinnings with footnotes to rival the great Terry Pratchett.
Kadja Draenor
Jan 22, 2009 Kadja Draenor rated it it was amazing
This hefty book continues where The Tub of Happiness left off, keeping up the humor and constantly improving the art. Certainly worth the read. Visit the website if you aren't sure!

Note: My rating may be biased by the fact that the author is a friend of mine. But only by one star, at the most. It really is good!
Jessica Petree
Aug 09, 2012 Jessica Petree rated it it was amazing
*The date read is not exactly. This book is *awesome* and completely hilarious! I loved every bit of it. It has the perfect mix of humor, surprise, unexpected plot twists and bumps in the road. Highly recommended.
Jessica
Mar 03, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
We find Schlock's home planet! Hire more troops! And witness the sad demise of one of my favorite characters. But in the bonus story, we find out why Schlock loves Ovalkwik!
Kathy
Sep 24, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Stayed up late reading this, even though I had to get up at five the next morning. Amazing that he can write an engaging story with a punchline every strip
Kaylynn
Kaylynn rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2009
Mike Owen
Mike Owen rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Matthew Hicks
Matthew Hicks rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Davy Shirley
Davy Shirley rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2012
Nicholas Hoffman
Nicholas Hoffman rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Mike McClure
Mike McClure rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
Biiku
Biiku rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Nihonjoe
Nihonjoe rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2011
Mack
Mack rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Louis
Louis rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Grasshopper
Grasshopper rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Kevin  Cook
Kevin Cook rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 3
  • The Rise of the Terran Empire (Technic Civilization 3)
  • Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (The Order of the Stick, #1)
  • Unshelved (Unshelved, #1)
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Megatokyo, Volume 3
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 7 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #7)
  • Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Digger, Volume One (Digger, #1)
Howard spent most of his happy childhood in Florida where he was on the swim team in grade school, and in a rock band in high school. He graduated in 1985 and moved to Utah to attend Brigham Young University.

After two years there, he served two years as a missionary for the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons), after which he returned to school at BYU and decided to move
More about Howard Tayler...

Schlock Mercenary (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Tub of Happiness (Schlock Mercenary, #1)
  • Under New Management (Schlock Mercenary, #3)
  • The Blackness Between (Schlock Mercenary, #4)
  • The Scrapyard of Insufferable Arrogance (Schlock Mercenary, #5)
  • Resident Mad Scientist (Schlock Mercenary, #6)
  • Emperor Pius Dei (Schlock Mercenary, #7)
  • The Sharp End of the Stick (Schlock Mercenary, #8)
  • The Body Politic (Schlock Mercenary, #9)
  • Longshoreman of the Apocalypse (Schlock Mercenary, #10)
  • Massively Parallel (Schlock Mercenary, #11)

“What do you think? Overkill?"

"I don't believe there is any such thing.
But in this case, 'yes, overkill.”
5 likes
“When I find the guy who torched that forest, I'm going to eat him. And I'm only going to half-cook him first.
-Sergeant Schlock”