Start by marking “Auberge of the Flowering Hearth” as Want to Read:
Auberge of the Flowering Hearth

Auberge of the Flowering Hearth

Published April 1st 1996 by PerfectBound (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Auberge of the Flowering Hearth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auberge of the Flowering Hearth

Dvora
Apr 13, 2013 Dvora rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-wine
I read this a hundred years ago and then a few years back. It's a lovely story of food, wine, and the love of cooking and eating.
Theresa DePaepe
Apr 30, 2014 Theresa DePaepe rated it really liked it
By the standards of the 1970s (when this book was published) as well as today, the author was exceedingly pretentious. That being said, I loved that the author went to France to research the history of the liqueur Chartreuse in the Alpine valley of La Grande Chartreuse and fortuitously stayed at an inn where he experienced some of the best French cooking and dining of his life. It was so memorable that he would return again and again in different seasons to learn and experience all that the inn ...more
Jeanette Thomason
Sep 01, 2013 Jeanette Thomason rated it it was amazing
I wish we still had Roy Andries De Groot with us. Such wonderful writing, storytelling, imparting of feast in every way on the page in this wonderful book. You cannot think of it as cookbook, though it is that--endorsed, beloved, and well worn in the libraries of M.K. Fisher and Julia Child. More, it is the mystery unraveled of La Grande Chartreuse, and the way of life in the village below the monastery marked by heart, simplicity, and humility in the most base daily endeavors.

I love how a dinn
Ron
Aug 13, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
A classic.

Somehow this book came into my hands when I was still in my 20's. It was, to me, a glimpse into a Shangri-La, and I ate up and feasted on every nuance of a self-contained and beautiful life in this high French valley under Le Grande Som.

I went to France in the 1980's to find the Auberge. Sadly, it had closed. But I kept the story in my heart, and now The Herbfarm is the Auberge of the Flowering Hearth reborn in another time and place.

I own many copies, including First Editions and eve
Kaye
Feb 24, 2011 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true classic in food writing. De Groot travelled to France to research the history and making of chartreuse. He stayed nearby at the Auberge of the Flowering Hearth and became became enamored of the two women proprietors and cooks and the area. A third of the book is his description of the area and the meals he's served. The rest is a the recipes for the dishes he enjoyed. The writing is excellent, even the recipes are worth reading. What makes it all especially interesting is that De Groot wa ...more
Kathleen
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks, france
According to Wikipedia, this book is about "how de Groot went to France to seek out the history of the liqueur Chartreuse. In doing so, he discovered the world of two women who cooked with the seasons, which became the focus of the book."
Um, ok, that doesn't sound so interesting. Here is a better description.
Marjorie Elwood
Sep 16, 2013 Marjorie Elwood rated it really liked it
This is a lovely 1973 meander through the cooking at an inn in a small valley in the French Alps. The author lists the menus, which are sybaritic and made me wish I had been there with him. He included as well the history of the valley and descriptions of several walks and trips in the environs. As an interesting note, he was blind, which I only found out while reading about his life. Recipes are included.
Karen Rowland
Jul 24, 2008 Karen Rowland rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, hypnotic book about a man's journey in search of the liqueur Chartreuse...through the French Alps and further. He stays at the Auberge of the Flowering Hearth where the proprietors educate him about French food, wine and cheese. Great recipes are included.
Kevin Donohue
Mar 22, 2015 Kevin Donohue rated it really liked it
Want to be there. Great recipes to boot. Loved it!
Jun 20, 2012 Sarah marked it as considering
via http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/06/...

also spotted in the window in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port...
Ann Mah
Oct 31, 2012 Ann Mah rated it really liked it
A lovely evocation of a certain place and time, but with a few inaccuracies (chicken liver in soupe au pistou?!)
Arvind
Feb 22, 2013 Arvind rated it really liked it
By no means use this as a cooking manual (unless purely for inspiration). Nonetheless it is a warm and delightful book
Kate
Jun 18, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books about food, cooking and travel I've read
Kassia
Kassia marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Davie Hurlbert
Davie Hurlbert marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Crow
Crow rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Aug 05, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Tres Fuerte
Tres Fuerte marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 05, 2016
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Sarah Hurley
Sarah Hurley marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Toufic Chahin
Toufic Chahin rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Noah
Noah is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Apr 26, 2016
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
  • French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • Simple French Food
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking