Start by marking “Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle” as Want to Read:
Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  2,191 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
In the first of these stories from the Catskill Mountains, a superstitious schoolmaster encounters a headless horseman; in the second, a man sleeps for twenty years, waking to a much-changed world.
Published January 28th 1980 by Watermill Press (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Becky
Sep 04, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok
I listened to this driving home from NJ last night, though I just got around to reviewing it today. If this can be called a review, that is.

I don't really have much to say about these two stories, honestly.

Sleepy Hollow is actually a bit creepy at times on audio, especially since the ending is left unresolved, but honestly, I think it's pretty obvious what the situation was. He had an overactive imagination and someone took advantage of that knowledge to their own benefit. A cautionary tale, p
Jacob J.
May 16, 2016 Jacob J. rated it really liked it
(I'd give Legend of Sleepy Hollow 5 stars, and Rip Van Winkle between 3 and 4 stars. The following thoughts are exclusively on Sleepy Hollow)

One of the seminal American ghost stories, arguably the preeminent American ghost story, with a name as recognizable as any contemporary pop culture phenomenon (thanks in large part to its perpetual resurrection in Halloween tradition, Disney, Tim Burton and now the Fox Network), The Legend of Sleepy Hollow indicates Washington Irving’s fascination with the
Josette
Oct 06, 2009 Josette rated it really liked it
I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection of Washington Irving's short stories on audio CD. The first on the 4-disc set was "Rip Van Winkle," and the second "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" — the two I most wanted to hear/read. I had read both in junior high school and again in college, but apparently I either didn't pay attention well the first two times or didn't remember them correctly. "Sleepy Hollow" especially was nothing like how I remembered it, and perhaps that's because of all the ...more
Aj Sterkel
Apr 23, 2016 Aj Sterkel rated it it was ok
First, a confession: I’m not the biggest fan of Washington Irving. I studied his work in college, and I found most of it to be pretty tedious. But, it’s my goal to read more classic horror this year. It felt wrong to ignore “the father of American literature.”

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle are two novelette-length works that are set in the Catskill Mountains of New York. The stories were both published in 1819 and quickly became popular around the world.

In The Legend of Sleepy Ho
Bill Wallace
Aug 21, 2016 Bill Wallace rated it really liked it
I revisited these classics courtesy of Librivox recordings as part of my exploration of the history and literature of the Hudson River. Both stories are so deeply embedded in American literature and popular culture that the original texts are often forgotten. Both are remarkable stories and their place in the foundation of the country is unshakable.

Both are also overshadowed by their echoes in film, cartoons, children's versions, Catskills tourism, songs, and other media, so it's difficult to a
Caroline Beatle
Aug 27, 2016 Caroline Beatle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, cuentos
Tengo ciertas quejas con respecto a esta edición:
La primera es el título; te dan a entender que las historias contenidas en el libro son de terror, lo cual no es en absoluto cierto. Si bien la mayoría de los cuentos tienen elementos sobrenaturales, muy pocos (me atrevería a decir que solamente uno) son aterradores.
La segunda queja es acerca de la traducción. Amén de que utiliza algunas expresiones muuuy españolas también encontré algunos errores tipográficos así como palabras iguales en lugares
Bill
Jun 18, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised I've never read these two stories by Irving. I have seen movie adaptations and enjoyed them. The stories were written in 1819 and 1820 and were enjoyable and entertaining. I found the book at a nice book store in Holt UK. It was published in 1893 and contains excellent drawings by George H. Boughton which enhance the stories. The stories are well-known; Rip Van Winkle about a carefree, lazy man who falls asleep for 20 years after drinking with a group of 'elves' he finds while ...more
Mackenzie Warren
This book was more like a short story... it had a bit of confusing language in it but was over all a good read! i don't know too much about the author but I do know that he had a pretty good idea of what a highschool dance might be like if you replaced the little midget men with Boys and Girls, and instead of bowling you made everyone dancing. But the drinking thing is about right. I know that that is sterio typing and I've been to some of these dances and have not done any questionable things, ...more
Amy
Oct 09, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
I finally read the original version over the summer. Of course, I was familiar with the story from the Disney animated version that I grew up with, but the writing in the story is incredible. It is so descriptive. I felt like I was walking through those wild wood of another time. Writers had to work harder to build the images with words before there were pictures and movies. The humor was charming and subtle. The story is suspenseful, but not too scary for kids.

This month I'm going read this wit
Jeffrey Bumiller
Oct 22, 2013 Jeffrey Bumiller rated it liked it
Another Halloween inspired reading adventure. I am obliged to love these two tales because their setting, The Hudson Valley in New York State, is where I grew up! They are both a lot of fun, and eerie, if you let your imagine run wild. The writing doesn't blow me away but the stories themselves are so endearing! I actually found Rip Van Winkle to be a little creepier than Sleepy Hollow on this go around. Oh well, maybe when I read them again in ten years they'll flip positions. Time will tell.
Erin O'Riordan
Oct 01, 2013 Erin O'Riordan rated it it was amazing
I got this book as part of a Scholastic Book order when I was a grade schooler. I was more interested in "Sleepy Hollow" than "Rip Van Winkle," but it was one of my introductions to early U.S. literature, and I still love them for that reason. Irving was, after all, the first American to be recognized abroad for his writing talent.
Susan
Nov 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read both these stories many times before, but I appreciate them all over again after listening to them again. I love the way Irving describes places, it is so evocative. I must pull out his book of short stories I have and get cracking and try to regain that magic.
Alicia
Oct 13, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
Such fun short stories to read for our October book club! Irving's writing is so entertaining...

Quotes from Rip Van Winkle:
“A tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.”

“A curtain lecture is worth all the sermons in the world for teaching the virtues of patience and long-suffering. A termagant wife may, therefore, in some respects, be considered a tolerable blessing; and if so, Rip Van Winkle was thrice blessed.”

"Rip Van Win
Greg Santana
Oct 23, 2016 Greg Santana rated it liked it
Awful beginning and middle. 30 pages of descriptions of leaves, food, dirt, etc. A mildly unpleasant main character scheming to win the local rich girl's property.

But, boy! The last 5 pages! Gripping! Haunting! The excessive descriptions really pay off. The Mysterious ending is really wonderful.

I think it helped having heard about the Sleepy Hollow's reputation and the brief mentions of their spooky legends throughout the story. As Ichabod remembers, we remember..

The (only) best parts were when
Pamela
Nov 24, 2016 Pamela rated it really liked it
This is a complete and unabridged version and had quite a few words I didn't know! It was short but challenging to read. I knew the basic stories before I read this book but I'm glad I did.
Justin
I highly recommend this edition, if you can find it; the illustrations are superb.
Stacey
Nov 02, 2016 Stacey rated it really liked it
Loved this classic!
Michael
Nov 05, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Sleep Hollow is great, a really fun slice of Americana.
John O'keefe
Oct 15, 2016 John O'keefe rated it it was ok
I gotta say, while they made there way into America's folklore, the vein of sexism is extraordinary. A product of the time, but don't think I'll be reading these again.
Grace
Oct 10, 2016 Grace added it
A quick, easy read that will get you in the spirit for Halloween. Lush details set the mood and reveal telling character traits, without bogging down the pace of the narrative.
MKay
Read this one aloud to by sweetie as he is recuperating from surgery. Not scary at all to us.
Riccardo Mainetti
Due storie misteriose. La raccolta si apre con la storia intitolata, prendendo spunto dal nome del protagonista principale, "Rip Van Winkle". Rip Van Winkle è un uomo buono, sovente maltrattato da una moglie irascibile, che non esita mai ad aiutare coloro che si trovino in difficoltà ma che si rifiuta, con una tenacia ed un'ostinazione che hanno dell'incredibile, ad occuparsi dei propri affari privati. Questo in quanto Rip Van Winkle è fermamente convinto che il suo terreno sia il più improdutti ...more
Alysia
I read "Strange Men of the Mountains". I thought this was a good book. This was a fairly short story other than an actual lengthy story. I liked this story, well because of the fact it was really short. And it was also kind of humorous. Like Rip Van Winkles wife always nags on him, points her fingers at him. And he just goes to the Catskill Mountains with a keg of beer and drinks, he even takes his dog, Wolf. Wolf and him are always together, it's a mans best friend. Rip Van Winkle will often ...more
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is, without a doubt, the most famous ghost story in all the world. Mention the name of Ichabod Crane to just about anyone, and you will most likely get a tale of the headless horseman, in one form or another. I think this is the first time I’ve heard the story in its original form, and I am very glad to have heard it. Washington Irving has a writing style that is at once beautiful and plain. It reminds me a lot of Mark Twain’s style. Maybe that should be the other w ...more
Mike
Sep 08, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Do not be deceived into thinking that, because we were children when we first read these stories, that their appeal is limited only to youngsters. Washington Irving is a superb story-teller.

Reading this excerpt, I can't but compare Irving's "Rip", carrying his rather impotent fowling-piece (or Ichabod, who doesn't seem to own a gun at all), to Cooper's Natty Bumppo with his Longue Carabine, Rip shooting squirrels and Natty shooting an eagle (so far away it is nearly out of sight) out of the sky
Ichabod Ogilvy
Jul 07, 2013 Ichabod Ogilvy rated it it was amazing
RIP VAN WINKLE by Washington Irving - five stars. I've always been drawn to Rip's unintentional Messianic complex: 'In a word, Rip was ready to attend to anybody’s business but his own; but as to doing family duty, and keeping his farm in order, he found it impossible.'

Megalomaniacs and people with delusions of grandeur must suffer a lot more that Rip. When they wake up to reality, these swellheads find big nobodies in the mirror.

THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW by Washington Irving - five stars alth
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Local library

I picked up a few copies of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow at the library because my daughter had to read it for her AP English class. I chose a few copies because I wasn’t sure which one she’d want to read and of the four I read the one with Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. My husband decided to read one of the others and my daughter chose yet another. The boys read the last copy, so all the books got some reading love.

The copy I read is from 1967. It is a large print
Mallory
Feb 03, 2016 Mallory rated it really liked it
Takano Mayu
Jul 12, 2016 Takano Mayu rated it liked it
1.penguin readers,level1
2.45min
3.ghost, strange, eerie, disappear, farmer, popular, person
4a.There are two stories and both is strange story. One is about farmer, he was popular person in the town but he was drunkard and not working. One day, he was scolded by his wife about it, and he went to forest near his house and stayed all night. In the forest, there were a lot of men, and they drunk with silent. Then, farmer fell asleep. When he woke up, it spend twenty years!! The other story is about y
Jeneé
I think almost everyone has heard about the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle but it took me apparently until my mid twenties to actually read it. And I was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes you go to read a classic book like that this, that everyone knows the story of, more or less, and it's disappointing and hard to read. I found that to be true with both Dracula and Frankenstein. But this was not disappointing, I find that I really enjoyed Irving Washington's writing style very much ...more
  • The Quiet Little Woman: A Christmas Story
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • The Jungle
  • Ghost Cadet
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad/Tom Sawyer, Detective (Mark Twain Library)
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Great American Folklore
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • The Pilot: A Tale of the Sea
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
  • On Golden Pond
  • The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse
  • The World's Great Speeches
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

“UFV毕业证文凭Q微209429753办理真实可查【加拿大毕业证】菲莎河谷大学毕业证成绩单学历认证the Fraser Valley