Start by marking “Who's Afraid of the Ghost Train?” as Want to Read:
Who's Afraid of the Ghost Train?

Who's Afraid of the Ghost Train?

Frank Rodgers offers an amusing way to cope with fears, as Robert learns how to use his big imagination to make things on the dreaded ghost train carnival ride appear just a little less scary.
Published April 10th 1989 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Afraid of the Ghost Train?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Afraid of the Ghost Train?

Lindsey Lewis
Oct 06, 2015 Lindsey Lewis rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other fashion for the review and the opinions reflected below are entirely my own. Special thanks to the publisher and author for providing the copy.

As a horror enthusiast since practically birth, I find it really difficult to imagine my children will ever be easily frightened of anything. However, I know there are plenty of children out there who are NOT fans of Halloween, and this book is made with them in mind.

Wh
Marilyn
Oct 05, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
"Robert's house was a perfectly ordinary sort of house. But Robert thought it was full of scary things. He had a big imagination."

He thought a dragon lived in the hall, a noisy steam train chugged through his kitchen, monsters lurked in his toilet and bathtub, bears were imbedded in the fur coats in the closet and little angry men lived under his bed. How spine-chilling is that?

Robert's pals teased him and tried to frighten him saying there were dreadful creatures in their midst. So Robert had
Richelle Zirkle
Sep 27, 2015 Richelle Zirkle rated it it was amazing
Robert's imagination often gets away from him helping him create scary situations out of everyday happenings. With the help of his grandfather, he learns how to cope with his wild imagination. His friends, who are all interested in scary things, could make it even worse when they want to visit the Ghost Train, but Robert gets the chance to put his grandfather's lessons into action. In the end, Robert is able to deal with the scare ride even better than they are. This is a very sweet story that ...more
Autumn
Oct 15, 2015 Autumn rated it it was amazing
We received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.

This is a really cute book to read really whenever but I think it is perfect for the month of October. Robert has a big imagination and he believes that the things in his house are a bit scary. There is a dragon in the hall, a shark in the bathtub and so much more. His grandfather gives him a tip on how not to be scared and how to use his imagination in a fun silly way. So when Robert joins his friends on a ride on the Ghost Train they
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 17, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it it was amazing
This is a reissued book from 1989, but it is as relevant now as it was then. Robert has a huge imagination and it usually conjures up scary monsters. He is always looking around for these scary creatures. When he talks to Grandpa Jim about them he gets advice about how to deal with the fear. When Robert and his friends go on the Ghost Ride, he is the only one not frightened as he puts Grandpa's advice to work. A great story to help children deal with fear and imaginary frights like the monsters ...more
Betsy
Oct 14, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

I loved this book. I think any kid can relate to Robert's overactive imagination. The illustrations were beautifully drawn and fun to look at. Robert becomes scared of the things he is imagining in his home and his grandfather gives him a piece of advice. He takes that advice to heart and uses it while on a ghost train with his friends. He really enjoys his ride and even tricks his friends into thinking the g
Tanya
Sep 28, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Another stunning picture book from Frank Rodgers.
Frank Rodgers draws and writes using a lovely imagination, and the ghost train characters highlight this so well.
When Robert uses his imagination to see the things he usually fears in a different way, he is able to find the things that others find frightening acceptable.
This book would be a great way to hep youngsters confront their fears, but no child can fail to be entertained by the pictures, especially the dragon vacuum cleaner!

I received a co
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Dec 12, 2015 Jess at Such a Novel Idea rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. This did not affect my opinion in any way.

What an adorable book!

My son loves trains and Halloween, so this spooky little treat was a favorite with him. The book was a great story about a boy with a wild imagination. The images were perfect and it reminded me of the books I loved reading when I was growing up.

This is definitely one we'll be owning in print!
Lisa
Aug 15, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
This fun book explores how to deal with things that scare you. Of course the best advice comes from the wise one in the family, but it works and helps one feel stronger and happier at the same time. I love the idea of this book during October when children love "scary" stories but might be scared. This book combines scary experience and how to deal with being scared. I'll be getting this one for my school library.
Charity
Sep 30, 2015 Charity rated it really liked it
REVIEW BY: Angelina, age 8 years, 11 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

I liked this book, it was really good. Do you know why it was so good? It was because I used my imagination! This book is about a little boy who imagines monsters, but then he goes on a train and isn't scared.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 5 to 8.
Diane
Oct 31, 2015 Diane rated it it was ok
We can use our imagination to scare ourselves or to help conquer our fears. It's up to us. I like the message but the story is dry and the illustrations are uninspired.
Susan Goins
Susan Goins rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Jenny
Jenny added it
Feb 14, 2012
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 04, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Victoria Zigler
Victoria Zigler marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
A childhood passion for books, radio and cinema set Frank Rodgers on the road to being a writer and artist. Today, he is the author/illustrator of almost fifty books for children, covering a wide age range from picture books through books for older readers to a novel for teenagers.

As a child, Frank Rodgers was impressed by Frank Hampson's drawings for the original Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future str
More about Frank Rodgers...