Start by marking “A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery, #2)

A Vow of Chastity (Sister Joan Mystery #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"An arresting mystery with a startling finale." Booklist.

A Sister Joan Mystery.

Evil has crept into the peaceful lives of the Daughters of Compassion. At first there are only small signs of its presence. The docility of Sister Joan's pupils at the convent school. The disappearance of holy water and candles from the chapel. The midnight flight of a beautiful au pair from th
Mass Market Paperback, 216 pages
Published April 24th 1993 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Vow of Chastity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vow of Chastity

Damaskcat
Sister Joan is aware that there is something wrong. The children in the small moorland school at which she teaches are being unnaturally well behaved. One of the new comers has written a verse which suggests something evil and there are the usual tensions between the farmers’ children and the Romany children.

Are the small thefts from the convent chapel of daffodils and candles linked in any way to the feeling of evil which people keep mentioning to Sister Joan? When a body appears in the conven
Elizabeth Bailey
I jumped on this book after reading the first in the series and it didn't disappoint. Veronica Black is a terrific mystery writer. I just love the setting and the atmosphere. The focus of the story was very different, but still held that wonderful mystique of the nunnery which enchants me somehow. The characters are wonderfully entertaining and the mystery definitely puzzling enough for this aficionado.

I'm saving myself for the next one, so I can make the pleasure last. I don't want to gobble up
Megan O'Neill
The mystery at the heart of the second book in Veronica Black's "Sister Joan" series, featuring the plucky and slightly-out-of-place Sister Joan (naturally!), is one even more unsettling than in A Vow of Silence, and the twists and turns throughout the book are stomach-turning, to be perfectly honest. In a lot of ways, they're brilliantly chosen - throw me off the track completely, and you've done good work! - but at the same time, they're so twisty that it's almost ridiculous. But a quick read ...more
Ann James

Half way through and it gets silly. You forget the main character is a nun, given the way she runs around chasing her own impulses. The inconsistencies following on from the previous book were ignored as it's a type of book I'd consider a light-read, but towards the end the reader is suddenly thrown into a sobering topic that was treated with flippancy imo. The combination made for an uncomfortable ending.
Barbara
read this book in '92'. Veronica Black has since written many more which I will be hoping to read in the near future.
Andrea Buschman
What's going on with Sister Joan and the good Detective Sergeant? That's the mystery I want to read about.
Judith
Not bad. The nuns are very lifelike and I enjoyed the mystery ending.
Lexi
Darker than expected, but I'll look for more in this series.
Helen
Mystery solved by a nun in Cornwall. A good read.
Gillian Robinson
Gillian Robinson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Mar 13, 2015
Joan Robinson
Joan Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
 Wendy  UK
Wendy UK marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Maureen Peters was married and divorced twice; she has two sons and two daughters. In addition to the novels written under her own name, which were historical fiction, she also wrote as Veronica Black, Catherine Darby, Belinda Grey, Elizabeth Law, Levanah Lloyd, Judith Rothman, and Sharon Whitby.
“Her novels, which easily number over one hundred, fall into many categories: biographical fiction on
More about Veronica Black...

Sister Joan Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • A Vow of Sanctity (Sister Joan Mystery, #3)
  • A Vow of Obedience (Sister Joan Mystery, #4)
  • A Vow of Penance (Sister Joan Mystery, #5)
  • A Vow of Devotion (Sister Joan Mystery, #6)
  • A Vow of Fidelity (Sister Joan Mystery, #7)
  • A Vow of Poverty (Sister Joan Mystery, #8)
  • A Vow of Adoration (Sister Joan Mystery, #9)
  • A Vow Of Compassion (Sister Joan Mystery, #10)
  • Vow Of Evil (Sister Joan Mystery, #11)
A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1) A Vow of Penance (Sister Joan Mystery, #5) A Vow of Sanctity (Sister Joan Mystery, #3) A Vow of Obedience (Sister Joan Mystery, #4) A Vow of Fidelity (Sister Joan Mystery, #7)