Start by marking “Lilith's Cave: Jewish Tales of the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
Lilith's Cave: Jewish Tales of the Supernatural

Lilith's Cave: Jewish Tales of the Supernatural

Once upon a time in the city of Tunis, a flirtatious young girl was drawn into Lilith's dangerous web by glancing repeatedly at herself in the mirror. It seems that a demon daughter of the legendary Lilith had made her home in the mirror and would soon completely possess the unsuspecting girl. Such tales of terror and the supernatural occupy an honored position in the ...more
Published December 12th 1991 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Lilith's Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilith's Cave

Steve Cran
Jul 23, 2016 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
Asmodeus and Lilith are the crown regent of the sitra achra or the other side. They rule over all the demon. Both King an Queen are spoken of quite frequently in Jewish literature. Asmodeus threw King Solomon out of his palace and too, his place for a number of years. Lilith rebelled against Adams superiority trip and fled the Garden of Eden. She gives birth to demons. I legend she seduces men and kills children unless they are protected with a certain amulet.

This book is a collection of 50 stor
Lisa Feld
Jun 06, 2015 Lisa Feld rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: princeton
I read this voraciously when I was a teen, but rereading it now, I'm less enamored. What I liked about it originally was how the supernatural was interwoven with the everyday: the locked cellar door or garden gate might be a portal to hell; the bedroom mirror might be a source of enchantment.

Rereading it as an adult, though, the book feels problematic on several levels. Each tale is told three times: once in a brief, spoilery summary for no reason in the introduction, once in the book itself, in
Ezra
Apr 09, 2010 Ezra rated it really liked it
Shelves: jews, spirit
great intro to Lilith mythology - and the tales are real and disturbing. made me realize how many myths about demonic women are made up to explain the terrible behavior of men.
Benjamin
Dec 04, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Shelves: yiddishkeit
What's best about this book is that the stories are really dark. There's some sexy stuff too. You know how collections of Jewish folk tales are usually like either kid's stuff or chasidic propaganda? Not this time, buddy.
Susannah
Feb 29, 2008 Susannah rated it it was amazing
Fascinating accounts of Adam's infamous first wife, Lilith, deconstructed by historians of religion from rabbinical tales and Talmudic commentary.
Fred Kohn
Personally I was somewhat disappointed, only because I had previously read Leaves from the Garden of Eden: One Hundred Classic Jewish Tales by the same author. Most of the stories in this volume I already knew. However, to be honest, this book predated Leaves by 20 years, and I found the stories to be better written. There were also more illustrations of better quality, so naturally I had to give this book one more star than I gave Leaves.
Ken
Oct 06, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, myths
This collection of stories veered from cautionary fables to some really elaborate (and dark) weird tales about descents into Gehenna and battling demons which really showed me that Jewish folklore can be pretty cool. My favorite parts were using the Ark to teleport between synagogues, the demons tricking people into self-immolation, and the underwater palace of the demons (which fits in nicely with the other book I'm reading Underworld about ruins now covered by water).
May Ling Su
Jan 27, 2016 May Ling Su rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of folklore about demons, dybbuks, sorcery, ghosts, werewolves, and a brief summary of Lilith's origin story in the Introduction. The rabbis in these stories are powerful sorcerers who either outwit or bring the forces of evil to rabbinical court to be judged. Each of these very short tales would make a great premise for larger creative work.

Also useful information: demons love jam.
Carla
Mar 10, 2010 Carla rated it it was amazing
Just got this book again- it's simply great with mythology, top references and lots to think about, I have had 3 copies over the last 10 or so years and keep loaning them out without return
Joseprasanna
May 20, 2016 Joseprasanna marked it as to-read
nothing
Rebecca Einstein
Rebecca Einstein rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2010
Katherine Coble
Katherine Coble rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2009
Fawn
Fawn rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Travis French
Travis French rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Diane B Corlett
Diane B Corlett rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
MR B D BARNES
MR B D BARNES rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Lolotehe
Lolotehe rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Apr 07, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: liked-a-lot
Awesome.
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
N
N rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Thomas J.
Thomas J. rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
Bet
Bet rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Josh Kaplan
Josh Kaplan rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Antonio Luiz
Antonio Luiz rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Marx and Satan
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • Vacation
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Over Her Dead Body: Death, Femininity and the Aesthetic
  • Initiation
  • Yiddish Folktales

“For the words of a vow are sacred not only among men and the angels, but among the demons as well.” 0 likes