Start by marking “Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be” as Want to Read:
Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be

Married for God: Making Your Marriage the Best It Can Be

Many people get married without ever understanding the real purpose of marriage—which leads to disappointment, dissatisfaction, and conflict. This raises the obvious (but often unasked) question: What is the purpose of marriage? Helping readers reorient their view of marriage so that they see it as part of God’s grand plan for the universe, this book offers a refreshingly ...more
Published 2007 by IVP

Alex
When I started this book, I thought it'd be a 4-star. But it didn't take me long to be convinced to bump it up to five.

While short and not terribly in-depth, Married for God relentlessly pursues God's purpose for marriage. Using Scripture, Christopher Ash clearly and definitively breaks down the different pieces of marriage and how they fit into God's plan. I loved his tone, I loved how clearly he describes things, I love how sure he speaks when God is clear and how much room he leaves for those
Eric Chappell
Aug 26, 2013 Eric Chappell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reading
Incredible resource that probably flies under the radar of most looking for books on marriage.

Married for God was a clear and concise explanation of the 'Why?' of marriage, which Ash refers to as "sex in the service of God." In short, Ash walks the reader around the boundaries and shape of marriage, and lastly seeks to enter into the heart of marriage itself, which intriguingly he refers to as the heart of the universe. But I won't give it all away.

This book is very readable and would be perfe
Luann
Dec 05, 2016 Luann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 29 years of marriage, this is the best book I've read on the topic. It's the one I'll be giving to friends and adult children considering marriage, but it's also excellent for anyone, including those who have been married for decades and those who are single.
I'm putting this quote from the book here to remind me how I am to respond to my six married children: "Parents must not tear apart the marriages of their children, by being tiresomely interfering or by not giving them space to grow tog
Deon
What is the purpose of marriage? Christopher Ash does a great job with answering this and explaining the “why” we should get married. This book does not focus on the “love” factor of marriage, but the purpose of marriage is in service to God.

This book is for engaged, newly-married, and the for those married a long time. The questions at the end of the chapter are engaging and would help bring up good conversation with your spouse.

“The heart of marriage is faithfulness”

*This is an ARC from the
Louise
Jun 25, 2015 Louise rated it liked it
I wish I could give this 3 1/2 stars. It's well-written and a good resource for pastors and counsellors. It won't appeal to seekers or non-Christians or couples hunting for practical suggestions. This book is really a polemic on marriage, not a how-to at all. It discusses the philosophical underpinnings and Scriptural justification for marriage as a tool of the Lord to impact the world. Its slightly tongue-in-cheek motto is, "Sex in the service of God," as it fleshes out the three traditional re ...more
Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
One of the best marriage books I've read -- this is now a book I will recommend on marriage! A fairly short, easy to read God-centred, gospel centred, encouraging, practical, biblical, theological book about marriage.
Cliff
Jul 29, 2016 Cliff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage, 2016
Excellent read. I especially liked the chapter on children. Paradigm shifting.
Jeanie
Aug 09, 2016 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Faithfulness is the heart of marriage, because it is the heart of God.

With the direction of the culture, it is time for Christians to understand the purpose of marriage. This is not a study that marriage is better. It is a freedom for the Christian to choose marriage and serve God in our marriage or to choose being single and serving God in our singleness. Each decision leads to holiness and purpose of building the kingdom of God by revealing the character of God. Marriage and singleness is a v
Glenn Crouch
Jul 30, 2014 Glenn Crouch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is an excellent book for Christians on Marriage. I would highly recommend it. It is very "Bible based" and I mean that in a good way :) as it also focuses well on God's grace.

So many books, even Christian ones, seem to focus on "romance" and on "being in love" - and whilst these are marvellous gifts from God - I believe the Author correctly emphasises the Faithfullness that is the basis of Marriage.

Well worth a read for those thinking about Marriage as well as those who have been married fo
contemplativereflections
Dec 09, 2016 contemplativereflections rated it really liked it
In "Married for God," Christopher Ash defends God's definition of marriage and discusses how marriage is to be used to fulfill the mission of God. This book is not about communication techniques or spousal personality compatibility but centers upon the purposes that God intends marriage to accomplish. The motto that Ash gives to his message is "sex in the service of God" which is a simplified form to describe all the fullness, benefits, and fruit that comes from marriage that focuses on serving ...more
Michelle Bower
Jan 09, 2017 Michelle Bower rated it really liked it
A solid theological work I would especially recommend to single, engaged or newly married folks.
Kenson Gonzalez
Feb 11, 2017 Kenson Gonzalez rated it really liked it
What is marriage about? And what is the main purpose? Christopher helps us to answer these questions as we read the Scriptures. "Married for God", is a pleasant, direct and simple book. Marriage, as Ash proposes, is intended to please God.

The author presents eight chapters, in which he deals with topics such as: What is the point of having children, sex, God's model for marriage.

This book is a good tool for people who are about to get married, or singles who have many questions about marriage. M
Tracey
Apr 18, 2016 Tracey rated it liked it
Ash makes most of the points you’d expect in a Christian book about marriage, though from the great things I’d heard about the author, I was surprised some of his main arguments didn’t seem very well supported. Probably the most controversial statement he makes is that it would actually be wrong for a married couple to deliberately not have children, but his support for this argument is a very strange (well, to me, at least) interpretation of Luke 20:36, when Jesus responds to the Sadducees who ...more
Dave Westerveld
Feb 11, 2017 Dave Westerveld rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I would highly recommend. Very clear and understandable. I especially appreciated his discussions on what the creation story has to say about marriage and what the bible has to say about submission. Very helpful and well thought out approach.
E
Aug 12, 2016 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book's subtitle is a bit misleading. It's really about the WHY of marriage, not the HOW. Why did God design the institution? Why is it NOT to combat loneliness or to meet our needs? What's the point of childbearing? Why sex? What societal positives does marriage provide? Why is same-sex "marriage" a contradiction in terms? Why is it superior to singleness? And so on. These are the sort of things believers should be thinking about in today's "marriage debates" (which are mostly over, and los ...more
Matt Chapman
Oct 31, 2016 Matt Chapman rated it really liked it
Clear and expositional. A different feel to many other marriage books and so a helpful compliment to them.

Some standout chapters:
Chapter 6 - on marriage as a divine institution. Very useful chapter for giving to those considering cohabitation rather than marriage.
Chapter 7 - on singleness and 1 Corinthians 7 in particular.
Chapter 8 - on faithfulness as the foundation of marriage. A strong convincing critique against the idea that being 'in love' is the true foundation of a marriage relationship
Philip P.
Oct 01, 2016 Philip P. rated it really liked it
Ash examines the purpose of marriage--sex in the service of God--largely through three sub-purposes: children, relationship, and societal order. I especially enjoyed his focus on major as serving and honoring God contra self-fulfillment, his gracious pastoral manner throughout, and his focus on faithfulness, not love-as-feeling, as the heart of marriage. Good for couples to read together, a group's study, maybe pre-marital counseling.
Daniel Mcgregor
This book was a big disappointment. First, it seemed to me, and to my wife who read along, that it was sex obsessed. Secondly, it felt as if it brought nothing truly insightful or new to my understanding of marriage. Third, his style of writing left me cold. I can not put my finger on it but it got under my skin quickly.
Leinad
Jan 01, 2017 Leinad rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Very helpful, God-centric book on marriage. Longer review to (hopefully) come soon.
Jeremy
Feb 03, 2017 Jeremy marked it as to-read
Read Tim Challies's review here.
Karen Crouch
Feb 19, 2013 Karen Crouch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: married, about to marry, even singles
Shelves: christian
Very easy to read with good Biblical principles and references. There was definitely meaty stuff here but so well written it wasn't like reading a heavy text book :-)
Ian Rees
Jun 19, 2012 Ian Rees rated it really liked it
Very helpful!
Alex
Nov 19, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Highly recommend! I have a copy if you want to borrow it.
A brilliant book on the important principles of Biblical marriage. I have read it, my husband is reading it and we have bought copies for friends getting married too.
Cbarrett
Feb 03, 2017 Cbarrett rated it really liked it
Biblical, readable, pastoral, applicable.
Chris Little
Jul 26, 2011 Chris Little rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lent
Ron
Dec 09, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing
The best book on the true nature of marriage I have ever read. The heart of marriage is faithfulness because God is faithful to His people.
Christina
May 21, 2013 Christina marked it as to-read
Recommended by Bill Farley http://williamfarley.blogspot.com/201...
Tim Iles
Tim Iles rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Anna Lawson
Anna Lawson rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dig Deeper: Tools for Understanding God's Word
  • Federal Husband
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage
  • This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence
  • Sex, Dating, And Relationships: A Fresh Approach
  • The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation
  • Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14
  • The Cleansing
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • Truth Lies Bleeding (DI Rob Brennan #1)
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • Know the Truth: A Handbook of Christian Belief
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • Disciplines of a Godly Woman
  • Embracing Obscurity: Becoming Nothing in Light of God's Everything
  • Celebrating Christmas with Jesus: An Advent Devotional
Christopher Ash works for the Proclamation Trust in London as director of the Cornhill Training Course. He is also writer in residence at Tyndale House in Cambridge, and is the author of several books, including Out of the Storm: Grappling with God in the Book of Job and Teaching Romans. He is married to Carolyn and they have three sons and one daughter.
More about Christopher Ash...