Bushnell's Submarine

Bushnell's Submarine

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This is the true story of how Yankee tinkerer, David Bushnell, built the world's first submarine in an attempt to sink the flagship of the British fleet--the HMS Eagle!

This is both the story of how the world's first submarine was built and how it was employed in the Continental Army's desperate attempt to hold on to New York in 1776.

We also read about the nearly forgotten...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Scholastic Nonfiction

Terri Floccare
I liked this book. It's written for children about a little known wonder of the American Revolution. The book tells about David Bushnell and the submarine he invented at his own expense. The book is technical enough to give a true sense of his invention without being overwhelming. It also introduces young reader to primary sources. Bushnell also invented underwater mines. He attempted to send " mines" down the Delaware River to Philadelphia. The event inspired the poem The Battle of the Kegs --...more
Lisa
This is an interesting little book on a topic that caught our attention while studying the American Revolution. My only reservation is with the accuracy of the material - I caught at least one possible inaccuracy. However, the author seems to have gotten the bigger details correct. He also includes many interesting sidebars that put Bushnell's invention in the greater context of the war and the times.
Loralie
Did you know that we had a submarine during the American Revolution? Learn all about the American Turtle in this great book.
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Nov 29, 2011
Maelee
Maelee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2010
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jul 19, 2010
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2009
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2008
Adam Carlson
Adam Carlson marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2008
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2008
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2007
Benedict Arnold in the Company of Heroes: The Lives of the Extraordinary Patriots Who Followed Arnold to Canada at the Start of the American Revolution The American Turtle Submarine: The Best-Kept Secret of the American Revolution