Start by marking “Live Your Road Trip Dream: Travel for a Year for the Cost of Staying Home” as Want to Read:
Live Your Road Trip Dream: Travel for a Year for the Cost of Staying Home

Live Your Road Trip Dream: Travel for a Year for the Cost of Staying Home

Offers information on planning a trip - along with advice on topics including: Determining your budget and where the money will come from; how to garner the support of your friends and family; what to do with your house, cars and other lifestyle entrapments; and, how to pay your bills and keep track of your investments.
Published March 1st 2008 by Rli Press (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Live Your Road Trip Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live Your Road Trip Dream

Stephanie
Ok I had to read this after I saw the title, which my husband would re-word as "live your road trip nightmare" -- the subtitle is "travel for a year for the cost of staying home."

Now I have to say my brother and his wife have what I refer to as a "big-ass motor home" - one of those where they can hit the road and have "all the comforts" - it has a washer and dryer for god's sake. Let's face it, most of the world lives with less than they drive around with. But I digress! I admit that there was a
BL834
Jan 29, 2014 BL834 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
As another reviewer noted, these people live on an entirely different planet. Excuse me while I rant a bit.

Who the blazes vacations with a wardrobe that requires dry cleaning? Like, close on five hundred dollars worth of dry cleaning bills over the course of the year (plus another $300 or so for laundry). For that cash I could buy a new outfit and burn it every freaking day and not ever have to do laundry, let alone take things to a dry cleaner.

Worse (page 18): "we realize that $76,000 plus some
Barbara
Dec 28, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
I was so excited about finding this book - I thought this would be the roadmap for my upcoming, life-changing RV life. But not exactly. These folks chose a different RV lifestyle than the one I am planning. Their objectives included see every National Park in the lower 48 states, playing golf at least once in every state they visited, and visiting some number of sports venues. Their year-long trip used a class B+ RV, many nights in motels, and numerous meals in restaurants. My RV year will near ...more
Kristal Cooper
This book is written in two parts.

The first part is a How-to for leaving your retirement home and heading out on an RV roadtrip for a year. For those who'd like to plan adventure just like the Whites did, I'm sure much of this information is quite valuable. For me, unfortunately, it wasn't very applicable since we're already full-timers.

The second part is a transcript of their trip blog. Some of it is too personal, but I did write down a few places that I want to go visit now. My major critici
Elise Cohen
"Carol and Phil White were retirees with a dream: to travel around the country on their own, for a year, without running out of money or energy. They planned, they budgetted, they kissed their children and grandchildren farewell, and they headed out.[return]This newly revised manual and travelogue tells how they did it, both in practical and human terms. They provide budget plans, recommendations on transportation choices, insights into travel decisions, and suggestions for websites (including ...more
Elese
Feb 22, 2012 Elese rated it it was ok
C & I flirt with the idea of taking the boys on a yearlong road trip around the country at some point, so when I saw this at the library I thought it would be educational. The first half is how-to tips and the second half is travelogue. Turns out it's aimed at a very different audience (think AARP-set), but the authors seem like well-meaning, friendly-enough folk, and for that I give it two stars.
Jeffrey
This book is two parts - First part is how-to, second part is this couples travelogue.

Unlike most other reviews I read, the second part was my favorite. I loved hearing about their adventures. I actually just skimmed the first part, because it is all kind of dated. I particularily found ammusing their bitching about gas being too expensive at $1.54 a gallon. This was in 2003. Amazing how it has doubled in 10 years!
Marcie
Apr 23, 2009 Marcie rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel, read-2009
This wasn't really what I was looking for. The book is written by a retired couple about how to travel around the US in a motorhome. For people like them, this book might be a helpful guide since it provided a lot of detail. But over half the book is just a summary of their travel blog while they were on their one year trip. It was like watching slides of someone else's vacation- someone you don't even know, someone who plays a lot of golf and loves ranger talks.
Dylan
May 12, 2011 Dylan rated it liked it
Hard to rate. Living on the road myself, I actually agree with most of the advice, so if you're planning a trip it's not a bad resource (even if you couldn't afford to stay home on their budget). Their trip account is definitely not my style, but I read a fair amount with a strange fascination at how people with different values and resources live on the road.
B
B rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Daydreamer
Daydreamer rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Caffection Mariah  Byron
Caffection Mariah Byron rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2009
Lindsay Williams
Lindsay Williams rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
April Woods
April Woods rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Dawn Mitcham
Dawn Mitcham rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Mcatherine Lunsford-bowles
Sep 08, 2011 Mcatherine Lunsford-bowles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone thinking of taking a long RV trip
Recommended to Mcatherine by: Carol White
A terrific HOW TO pack up and go book!
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2010
Aja Marsh
Aja Marsh rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2015
Erin Harlander
Erin Harlander rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Sue Klasing
Sue Klasing rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Trish Goodwin
Trish Goodwin rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
Carol White
Carol White rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2010
John Hales
John Hales rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013