Start by marking “King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales” as Want to Read:
King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales

King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  10,829 ratings  ·  34 reviews
This thoroughly readable collection of Malory's famous stories of King Arthur includes the familiar legends, plots, exploits, and characters which have become part of the cultural tradition of the English-speaking world.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about King Arthur and His Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Arthur and His Knights

Mary Overton
Sir Thomas Malory (d. 1471) spent much of his final 20 years in prison. During those decades he translated into English and rewrote the French Arthurian romances. Stories of Grail quests, lovelorn knights, and the Round Table had been wildly popular literature in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Eugene Vinaver writes in the 'Introduction' that Malory was 'a man bred up in arms who valued the dignity of knighthood above all else. Most of his knights are men of brief speech and unsophisticated behaviou
Mark Adderley
This is Malory's Le Morte Darthur, but separated into separate stories and, in the case of one tale (The Knight of the Cart) actually re-located to a different point in the story. The Grail story is so heavily abridged that it would be incomprehensible to someone who hadn't already read the Morte. There are much better texts of Malory thann this!
Jeff Valluzzi
A very dry and often unintentionally hilarious book. It's interesting to learn the stories of King Arthur, especially to realize that these were the folktales of a people. I didn't find myself drawn to the stories at all, partly because of how ridiculous some of them were (King Arthur kills 100,000 Roman men and is crowned Emperor, King Arthur agrees to kill his wife because someone choked to death during a dinner she cooked), but also because I saw very little value in any of the characters wit ...more
Becky Ginther
I've been interested in Arthurian legend and wanted to go back to one of the "roots" of the stories, and Malory's is always mentioned. Instead of reading the full book I got this version with selected tales.

Yes, these stories were written hundreds of years ago and the writing style is rather old fashioned, making it a little difficult to get through. The plot was not nearly as exciting as I was expecting it to be. I have to admit that several parts of the book made me laugh, even though I'm not
Prita
King Arthur ! Lancelot ! Salah satu kisah dari British Isles yg selalu bikin gue penasaran. Jujur, hampir semua novel klasik yang gue baca, berawal dari ketika gue nonton film. Mulai baca buku ini juga karena nonton film King Arthur, tapi di film itu ceritanya happy ending dan sangat disimplify. Setelah baca buku2 ttg King Arthur and His Knights, gue semakin mengerti betapa rumitnya kisah mereka. Semakin sulit untuk menilai tindakan Genevieve terhadap Arthur ataupun Lancelot, kisah ttg Kinghts l ...more
Anilecia
I understand how people could have trouble reading this book. I almost put it down after the first couple of stories because it was incredibly boring, but those are the tales of secondary character knights (Sir Galahad, etc.). Once you get to the stories of principal characters, it becomes much more interesting.
Elizabeth Mcnair
As a little girl, my dad would read to me from this book. I have find memories of the stories of King Arthur and his knights.
Lydia
This book was written by a guy in a jail cell in the late 1400's and is based off of the popular oral story telling of his day.

I like that it is broken into a collection of tales, rather than one long-form book. One can choose a character (Arthur, Launcelot, Sir Gareth) and read his tale independently.

There is a lot of "he smote him", confusing action sequences, and characters that suddenly appear and disappear with no introduction nor resolution, but such is the oral tradition: simple narrati
Droid
I enjoyed it because the whole thing was like a Monty Python sketch. Hilariously over-the-top. As far as I can tell, back in the day, jousting fulfilled the same purpose as hand-shaking does today. Everyday was pure epicness, and the battle wasn't over until you'd skewered five men on your spear with a single strike. Stomach sliced open? Deal with it! - you can still fight on from dawn to dusk!

Favourite quote " Sir Lancelot increased in fame and worship above all men, for he overthrew all comers
Amy
Read for Love and Hate: Medieval to Early Modern, Spring 2014.

Michele lepori
A lot of knights fighting. The author uses always the same words to describe them, the rithm is from slow to very slow... ecc.ecc.

Neverthanless it was intresting to read about this topic (in Italy we don't read so much about King Arthur and his corpus of legends) and to try something different from the plane writing of today.

For non-english readers: a lot of "thou, thy...". In some passages it is no easy reading!
Gerard Fleck
Thomas Malory, knight and adventurer of the 1400s, died in prison after penning these epic tales. They are the original stories of King Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin, Gawain and the Holy Grail but the olde English is smoothed over to make accessible. The popular heroes in books and movies of today are all rooted in King Arthur and his Knights.
Nebuchanezer
As much as i wanted to enjoy this book, i found it mostly to be very repetitive. The majority of the book seems to consist of good knight sees damsel in distress from bad knight, knights fight, good knight wins repeat ad infinitum. Only the improvement towards the end (quest for the Holy Grail onwards) saved this book from being truly dull
Jordan
This was a fun read. It wasn't what I was expecting; there wasn't much Arthur and it needed more Merlin. He was hardly present at all, just briefly in the beginning. There must be other stories or books with more Merlin because there didn't seem to be enough here to account for all the stories behind him. Still, I enjoyed it.
Genevieve
Ok, ok, I know this is classic literature but I just could not get myself through it. I can only take so much of nobility having their honor offended and self righteously smiting each other down. Which, by the way, does not always mean they die. At least I learned that much. Maybe I'll try it again at a later point in my life.
Melissa
This was not my favorite. I can't figure out if it was the language or just that I thought the stories were toned down from the French original. It is interesting though the differences that were made between this one and The Death of King Arthur.
Ann
I was amazed at how often everyone "smote" one another. I like the Arthur stories, but it can be a bit repetitive after a while. A lot of damsels wandering through the forest and then of course the "smiting".
Ami Samsuri
I did not like this at all. too much jousting and slaying and knighting and too less emotion. Are knights supposed to be hot-tempered and without a conscience?
Ali Sallam
الملك آرثر هو ملك أسطوري ....

وفرسانه هم فرسان الطاولة المستديرة ...

يشقون معه طريقهم لخوض بعض المعارك في الغابات المسحورة ...

أعتقد أنها تجذب الأطفال بشكل أكبر .
Kristi-Joy
I am really glad to be familiar with the original English-language Arthur myths. However, they were not what I was expecting. Still, well worth reading.
Kyrie
Required reading about King Arthur didn't feel like required reading. I enjoy the stories and this is one of the earlier compiled versions, I think.
TaleofGenji
Dec 29, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jeffrey
Hey, it's the Malster. The Malster! King Arthur and his knights. Chivalry! Maidens in distress! Magic! Wizards! What else do you need? Classic!
aykut
the only reason i didnt like this is it's an old style and i'm into artistic creativeness. other than that, if you like tales, go ahead.
Anthony Antolic
The end of the Roman Empire has always interested me. I love the romantic story development as a Empire of Britannia fell.
Okay.... so I read MOST of the stories and will make it through the others soonish.
Bill
It was fun to read the old stories of the round table.
Farrah Hanis
I'm in love with Arthur Pendragon. Nuff said.
Juan Pablo
Una de los libros que me facinaron en la infancia
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Signet Classics)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Idylls of the King
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Cleanness, Patience
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • Cinderella
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1)
  • English Fairy Tales
  • The Enchanted Castle & Five Children and It
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.
More about Thomas Malory...
Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2 Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 1 The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table Tales of King Arthur

“Sir Lancelot increased in fame and worship above all men, for he overthrew all comers, and never was unhorsed or worsted, save by treason and enchantment.” 2 likes
“Then was the monument called "Stonehenge," which stands, as all men know, upon the plain of Salisbury to this very day.” 2 likes