Start by marking “If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Whether he is accidentally cooking his brain with hand warmers or yanking his lure away from a trophy fish just before it takes the bait, Bill Heavey can do no right. For almost a decade, he has chronicled his incompetence on the back page of Field & Stream, where his hilarious dispatches about life as a hapless outdoorsman who lives in suburbia have earned him legions ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Grove Press (first published November 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat

Wilson Lanue
Apr 10, 2015 Wilson Lanue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the time, I'd rather be outdoors than reading about it. Outdoor writers as a breed tend to be men with too much pride to record their mistakes, who instead find drama in promoting gear and excursions that few in their right mind would break the bank for.

Heavey is different. His main stock in trade is humor, and he delivers by eloquently and unrelentingly poking fun at his own misadventures as a fisherman and hunter.

I first discovered his column, in a cast-off 'Field & Stream,' when I
Justin
Feb 04, 2009 Justin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: outdoor sports enthusiasts
Shelves: fishing-etc, humor
Okay, I'm probably feeling a little generous giving this one 5 stars, but it's the best of its sort of thing I've read in a long time.

I think of Heavey as the F&S humor columnist. He's usually funny without being hilarious (there are touches of McManus here, but very few, and it's a pretty different aesthetic). Heavey plays the average guy well -- he's self-effacing, but he rarely makes himself into a complete idiot. He's a guy like you, except he gets to go cool places. And he also does thi
Pamela K.
Feb 22, 2016 Pamela K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this man and this book hilarious! As a woman growing up in a family with 5 siblings...2 sisters and 3 brothers, I was exposed to the man's side of the world a lot, when I wasn't baking, etc. and am a better woman for it, it made me a well-rounded person able to understand and actually enjoy activities men also enjoy!

I am a grandma now with a 5 year-old grandson who lives in Idaho...lots of wilderness and outdoor activities there so I am able to enjoy it with him, my husband and my son a
Joe
Feb 13, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

You can pick up and put down at the breaks in this short story collection taking as much time as you want to finish.
Denis
Dec 13, 2015 Denis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably would have liked it more if I fished or hunted.
Josh
Feb 17, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, hunting
Reminiscent of Pat McManus, but with a style all his own.
Karen Mills
Mar 08, 2016 Karen Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I loved reading this book.
Ted Knudson
Oct 22, 2013 Ted Knudson rated it really liked it
What can I say, I was slowed down by the approaching hunting season. The need for field time, planning, and shopping for hunting goods was a distraction. I enjoyed the talents of Mr. Heavey (what a name, really? I guess if you're saddled with that moniker and use it to author in Field & Stream, you are committed!) Perfect bed time reading for the outdoorsman in your life.
Hope
Mar 06, 2010 Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hope by: Greg and Emily
Shelves: nature
A friend recommended this because I like Pat McManus. Heavey is a very different writer than McManus, less laugh out loud humor, more subtle jabs. He spends far too much time describing the precise gear he uses for deer hunting or fishing. When he gets away from that, and into telling a real story, there are some gems; unfortunately for my taste, those stories are too few.
Les
Jul 11, 2016 Les rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a vegan who has never hunted in my life and last fished 20 years ago (and didn't really enjoy it much then), and I thoroughly enjoy Bill Heavey's writing.
Gregg
Dec 19, 2007 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hunters and fishermen
I really enjoyed this book. It consists of self-effacing essays on the author's outdoor experiences. It is a lot of laughs. My only criticism is that way too many of the essays focus on deer hunting rather than on a variety of outdoor experiences. Heavey's (few) essays on fishing are really great
Jess
Really funny and oddly informative as this is a collection of funny anicdotes about hunting and all things outdoors. Each story was only about 2 pages long so this was my read-at-stoplights and at-the-drive-though book in the car.
Steve
Aug 02, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. The author's writing style was simple and easy to read, but the mix of humor was perfect. Definitely recommend this book to the outdoorsman in your life.
David Spencer
A few surprisingly moving stories are thrown in with a collection of humorous anecdotes about the life of a modern outdoorsman. Nothing amazing but a pleasant diversion.
Kathy Nelson
Amusing anecdotes by a dedicated (if inept) outdoorsman. I found myself laughing (and at times crying) along with the author.
Kody
Aug 07, 2012 Kody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all those hunters and fishers this is a great book that explains why we do what we do! Very funny
Carol
Nov 28, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't hunt or fish, but I really liked this book. Some stories were funny, some were sad.
Ken Hilton
Dec 28, 2014 Ken Hilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone with interest in the outdoors, hunter or fisherman not required.
Jeff
Jun 25, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of works that go from hilarious to poignant and back.
Heidi
Sep 09, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You won't get it if you're not a hunter/fisher
Peter Schumacher
I enjoy Patrick McManus' writing much more.
Randall
Jan 11, 2014 Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest books I have ever read.
John
Nov 10, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as Mcmanus but still good
Erhoogstrate
Erhoogstrate marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Delia
Delia added it
Aug 20, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Etta
Etta added it
Aug 14, 2016
leslie
leslie rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Jonas Webb
Jonas Webb marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
David Holt
David Holt rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
  • Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History
  • To Renew America
  • Death in the Grizzly Maze: The Timothy Treadwell Story
  • Cholesterol Down: 10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in 4 Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less
  • Master Class in Fiction Writing: Techniques from Austen, Hemingway, and Other Greats: Lessons from the All-Star Writer's Workshop
  • Wired that Way: The Comprehensive Personality Plan
  • It's Our Ship: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • Journey to the Center (Asgard, #1)
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm